Which medical schools award scholarships to accepted students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twospadz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any help?

Members don't see this ad.

i think all medical schools have some sort of merit scholarships for students coming in with distinguished qualifications

financial aid probably
merit aid probably not

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools have some form of merit aid, though how much and how many people get it is another question.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but in order to estimate cost of attending schools, the easiest way that I'm familiar with is to look at graduate indebtedness (listed in MSAR and USNews, I believe .. can google it). Keep in mind that residency status may affect your expenses.

I know certain schools like Harvard, Yale, and Dartmouth offer unit loan scholarships that are need based aid.

Washington University in St. Louis appears to use a formula that goes something like
(old MCAT -40) * 50,000 to determine the size of a merit scholarship.

/jk but there is a grain of truth there.

Reactions: 9 users
Washington University in St. Louis appears to use a formula that goes something like

No love for the 40s, huh?

Some top schools don't have merit money (looking at you, Stanford) but the vast majority definitely do.

Although its in a lot of places, mdapplicants.com has a bunch of people who were accepted posting their scholarship awards along with their medical school acceptances. Im just too lazy to go through them lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, UCLA offers about 25 full rides including living expenses each year

Related question: For schools that do offer merit scholarships, do they offer this with acceptance letters to aid in decision making on where to ultimately go, or is this a process that happens later?

You've been getting pretty sarcastic lately.

I like it.

Reactions: 1 users
Most are need based on FASFA

Tulane exposed all their school-based scholarships in a PowerPoint presentation a couple years ago. It is near the top of this page:

http://tulane.edu/financialaid/hsc/som/types.cfm

Between them and the military scholarships, I estimate a quarter of any given medical class is not paying full retail.

I'd hate to be the 1 with a rough 30 acceptance. That's an expensive scholarship.

When I was interviewing at OUWB last year they said 40+% of their students in class of 2018 get some scholarship money, and they gave 1/4 tuition, 1/2 tuition, and full tuition. A decent amount of people in my class have alluded to being on scholarship (though nobody's out bragging about it or anything). I got a strictly merit-based scholarship as an ORM with an MCAT <30, but a good fit for the mission and strong ECs/essays. (I say all this with the caveat that this may all change in the future). All that said, I think OUWB is pretty generous comparatively speaking.

Also, @Munty - all the schools I held acceptances didn't send scholarship offers until well after they started accepting students, and some required the FASFA (which you can't submit until the new year) before they would send you an offer. A few required separate applications for certain scholarships after you were accepted, but this was pretty rare.

But you could have scholarship offers well before the date (April 30th I think?) you have to narrow your options down to only one acceptance if you are holding multiple?

But you could have scholarship offers well before the date (April 30th I think?) you have to narrow your options down to only one acceptance if you are holding multiple?
Schools that are using merit scholarships to lure scholars to their school will make the offers before the date for holding only one acceptance. That's the whole point of merit awards.

As true as this is, and as strange as it may seem, I got my merit offer when I got accepted off a waitlist. I think they were waiting to see if I was actually interested.

As true as this is, and as strange as it may seem, I got my merit offer when I got accepted off a waitlist. I think they were waiting to see if I was actually interested.
At that point, the school was desperate to fill a seat and was sweetening the deal in the hope you would say yes.

At that point, the school was desperate to fill a seat and was sweetening the deal in the hope you would say yes.

And here I thought they just thought I was awesome :(

Seems like an expensive way to fill a seat, especially since you could imagine plenty of waitlisters who would take it full-price. Are they just in that much of a hurry?

Seems like an expensive way to fill a seat, especially since you could imagine plenty of waitlisters who would take it full-price. Are they just in that much of a hurry?
You don't want the people who have no other choices, you want the most desirable and those folks often have choices.

I think Mayo and that Cleveland Clinic Medical school are the most generous
Cleveland Clinic Medical School gives a full ride to ALL medical students(http://portals.clevelandclinic.org/cclcm/TuitionFinancialAid/tabid/7336/Default.aspx)
Not quite true - "Full ride" implies tuition+fee+cost of living. Everyone at CCLCM receives full tuition+fees support (and a laptop) . Beyond that, a good portion of the students selected to attend receive additional cost of living support through various scholarships. The program is geared towards applicants interested in MD/MS level of research in their ultimate career (CCLCM is for people interested in a 80% clinical , 20% research career - this is my personal rubric)..
It's a 5 year med school though..
Quite right - to pursue CCLCM for the tuition support is folly. EVERY aspect of our training from the most basic of biochemistry lectures is heavily research-oriented. <-- this statement is like anchovies on pizza: either you love it or you hate it. There's no middle ground.

Not quite true - "Full ride" implies tuition+fee+cost of living. Everyone at CCLCM receives full tuition+fees support (and a laptop) . Beyond that, a good portion of the students selected to attend receive additional cost of living support through various scholarships. The program is geared towards applicants interested in MD/MS level of research in their ultimate career (CCLCM is for people interested in a 80% clinical , 20% research career - this is my personal rubric)..

Quite right - to pursue CCLCM for the tuition support is folly. EVERY aspect of our training from the most basic of biochemistry lectures is heavily research-oriented. <-- this statement is like anchovies on pizza: either you love it or you hate it. There's no middle ground.

I stand corrected then.
That's still one hell of a deal;
So if the school is very research focused, do most aspire to be academic physicians of some sort?

I stand corrected then.
That's still one hell of a deal;
So if the school is very research focused, do most aspire to be academic physicians of some sort?

I wonder where this money comes from? Most fully-funded MSTP classes are very small, like 5-20, and get funding from the NIH. 32 is a sizeable class when they're covering all that!

Any help?

A related question, does anybody know of state schools that waive OOS tuition pricing for OOS'ers?
I have heard of U Mich and U Wash doing something like that for people they like (for the very, very few OOR'ers that get into U Wash).

I will not disagree that it's a sweet deal, for those truly interested. To your question: if research is not a prominent component of our graduates' careers, then we picked the wrong students.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

All Texas schools offer scholarships to a set number of applicants.

State schools in Ohio (OSU, Toledo, Cincinnati, Wright State, and NEOMED...I think that's all of them) allow you to have in-state tuition after your first year. OSU and Toledo at least are fairly OOS-friendly in terms of acceptances. NEOMED is not, I'm not sure about UC and Wright.
Interesting. I was thinking more along the lines of merit waivers but this is good to know, too.