Which medical specialty involves the least paperwork?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

proclus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Simply curious.

Are their specialties with a significantly lower paperwork load, or in the current legal environment is everyone essentially in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad.

Simply curious.

Are their specialties with a significantly lower paperwork load, or in the current legal environment is everyone essentially in the same boat?

Paperwork is a fact of life in every medical specialty, due to the fact that documentation is necessary for legal protection. However, if I had to guess, I would say anesthesia has less paperwork than most specialties.

Depends on where you work...

At some places I've worked (in the emergency department), my documentation was a T-sheet... took all of 30 seconds to write an entire chart on some patients and mostly involved checking boxes and circling words. The complex patients took more time but they do in any setting.

But on the whole I'd guess EM.

Reactions: 1 user
Anesthesia has to be right up there for consideration of the least paperwork.

We have a preop note, a chart for intra-op and some charting for blocks.

That's not much, comparatively

Depends on what you consider paperwork. Radiology has close to 0 TRUE paperwork, save for the occasional signature OKing contrast in a borderline creatinine patient (although--if you want to be technical, the field is close to 100% electronic paperwork since all we do is dictate all day)

Depends on what you consider paperwork. Radiology has close to 0 TRUE paperwork, save for the occasional signature OKing contrast in a borderline creatinine patient (although--if you want to be technical, the field is close to 100% electronic paperwork since all we do is dictate all day)

I agree, dictating is definitely "paperwork." So I would put Radiology on the low end of having the least amount of paperwork but less patient interaction leading to less social issues. Medicine is all about "paperwork" and EMR in my opinion has made everything worse.

I don't consider dictating paperwork. I am internal medicine, and I strongly prefer the ability to dictate my work then have to use the hospitals emr system, cpoe for orders, etc etc. if I could just see my patients and then dictate for 5 min on each it would be worlds better than it is now. That's kinda what rads is. Read film, dictate for a few min. Move on to next.

]I don't consider dictating paperwork. I[/B] am internal medicine, and I strongly prefer the ability to dictate my work then have to use the hospitals emr system, cpoe for orders, etc etc. if I could just see my patients and then dictate for 5 min on each it would be worlds better than it is now. That's kinda what rads is. Read film, dictate for a few min. Move on to next.

In that case, there are a ton of specialties tied at near 0 paperwork because they dictate everything.

In that case, there are a ton of specialties tied at near 0 paperwork because they dictate everything.

In addition to rads, what would be an off the cuff list of specialties which "dictate everything"?

Saying that dictation isn't "paperwork" is like saying that EMR isn't "paperwork."

Further, the implication that "paperwork" is somehow inherently evil is a pretty good sign of naiveté. Good clinical documentation will help you take better care of your patients, get paid more for your services, and possibly save your bacon in the event of a malpractice suit. This is important no matter what field you're in.

Most of the non-documentation-related "paperwork" (or "EMR work") in primary care may be delegated to staff. Some of it is even reimbursable.

IMO, radiology is ALL "paperwork." :cool:

Emr is painstakingly slow, at least on the systems I have used. I can dictate a full 292 critical care progress note in <3 minutes. Granted I talk quite fast. I have yet to work on any Emr system in which I can type a progress note in <q10-12 min. Handwritten, if done so its legible takes close to the same. If your in ED using t-sheets I suppose that's an exception. Otherwise I would say a specialty where you can dictate 15-17 notes in a total of 60-80 minutes time out of your entire day is really quite low in terms of paperwork/busywork volume.

In terms of rads. Your job is to read films. If you speak out loud what you are reading, into a dictaphone, you are doing your version of "seeing the patient" whilst doing your "paperwork" at the same time in real time. Compare that to a busy FP who sees 35+ patients in clinic all day and them sits down at the end of the day to start entering all their Notes into EMR for hours.

Compare that to a busy FP who sees 35+ patients in clinic all day and them sits down at the end of the day to start entering all their Notes into EMR for hours.

Everybody has their own way of doing things. I see 20-25 patients per day, and complete my notes in EMR as I go. There's usually nothing left to do at the end of the day except a couple of phone calls. And, maybe checking SDN. ;)

Everybody has their own way of doing things. I see 20-25 patients per day, and complete my notes in EMR as I go. There's usually nothing left to do at the end of the day except a couple of phone calls. And, maybe checking SDN. ;)

That's what I do.

The MA has entered all the PMH/PSH, Meds, ROS, VS etc before I see the patients and then I review and enter PE, orders etc as I go. Plans are templated for common diagnoses so there is little to do at the end of the day except on my busiest ones where I might finish notes later.

I know a lot of people do this. I am just not a fan of typing notes in a patients room. I do not like it when my doctor is looking at a computer screen and typing during the entire encounter instead of looking at and talking directly to me. It just seems cheap and impersonal to me. I know its necessary for a lot of practices to survive because of time constraints, I just don't like it.

I know a lot of people do this. I am just not a fan of typing notes in a patients room. I do not like it when my doctor is looking at a computer screen and typing during the entire encounter instead of looking at and talking directly to me. It just seems cheap and impersonal to me. I know its necessary for a lot of practices to survive because of time constraints, I just don't like it.

Reviewing and entering information "as you go" doesn't have to mean "in the room." You review the information with the patient in the room and then, when the encounter is over, you jump on your computer and wrap it up.

I know a lot of people do this. I am just not a fan of typing notes in a patients room. I do not like it when my doctor is looking at a computer screen and typing during the entire encounter instead of looking at and talking directly to me. It just seems cheap and impersonal to me.

We designed our rooms with EMR in mind so I can maintain eye contact while using my tablet. The tablet is no more intrusive than a paper chart used to be. I've always charted as I go.

Reviewing and entering information "as you go" doesn't have to mean "in the room." You review the information with the patient in the room and then, when the encounter is over, you jump on your computer and wrap it up.

Correct. Every visit really takes place in three parts.

The "pre-visit" is after the patient has been roomed by the MA and vital signs entered. I'll look at the chief complaint or figure out what chronic conditions need to be addressed, quickly review any labs or studies that were done beforehand (I've already seen them once before), sketch out a quick "skeleton note" (basically a normal cursory ROS and PE - the stuff I ask and do on everyone), and sometimes even start on the assessment and plan, if it's fairly obvious that something's stable and we're likely to continue our current regimen.

During the visit itself, I'll add a few things to the note, and maybe change something from normal to abnormal if necessary. Sometimes (frequently), the patient brings up new issues, and I'll add those in, as well.

After we're done, as the patient is heading to check out, I'll finish the note (the "post-visit") - usually while standing at the nurses' station - send any prescriptions to the patient's pharmacy, pre-order labs for next time, and sign off the note. At check-out, the patient will receive a printed visit summary (basically, my assessment and plan along with a few other things). This is something we've had to do for CMS Meaningful Use, but it's a good idea nonetheless.

Voila! On to the next patient. :)

Just posted about this in another thread, but I swear I didn't read your post first.

That's what I do.

The MA has entered all the PMH/PSH, Meds, ROS, VS etc before I see the patients and then I review and enter PE, orders etc as I go. Plans are templated for common diagnoses so there is little to do at the end of the day except on my busiest ones where I might finish notes later.

That's how it works with my office EMR too. I even have a template for physical exam findings, so all I have to do is click, and its there in my note. If I note any unusual physical exam findings, I just have to make the necessary alterations. Usually I prefer to do the assessment/plan after I've interviewed and examined the patient, though, because by then I'll have the whole story.

It is interesting reading this thread as a brand new intern. The assumption during orientation was that we all know how to use an EMR in general but need lots of instruction on how to dictate. The upper years in my program are actively working to remove the one type of DC summary we have to dictate because it takes so much longer than using the EMR.

Personally, i won't type in a room if the room is set up to prevent me from maintaining eye contact with the patient/parent while I'm typing. Frankly with the EMRs I like, about the only thing that is typed in freehand is the hpi, everything else can be templated in so it is only a few clicks to finish the note.

And in terms of inpatient care, EMRs are amazing when you are admitting chronic patients with med lists several pages long. You just sit down at the computer with the patient and go through the list and each home med is two clicks to order inpatient.

Agreed.

Hopefully using an Ipad with EMR access cuts down on the impersonal aspect of the patient encounter. Of course, the first few patients are gonna probably result in me screwing something up in the EMR and delaying the encounter :smack:

it's not family medicine

No, but unless you set yourself up for it (e.g., accept Medicaid or make a habit or doing too many things outside of regular office visits), there's really no more paperwork in FM than any other cognitive specialty.

Definitely not anesthesiology. Writing vital signs every five minutes for 10 hours is a mind numbing activity. The pre-op evaluation often must mesh the hospital's records with the PCP's records with the various pre-surgical clearance records. Post-op care records include immediate PACU transfer of care notes and sign-out of the PACU notes. There is occasionally triple redundant logging of information. Then there are the Billing sheets and QA sheets for each patient. In addition, an anesthesiologist is managing 4 patients intra-op at a time, placing epidurals in the OB department, seeing pre-op and post-op patients and keeping them all straight. All of the times must match up exactly and not overlap. If you are a minute off, then you won't get paid. Then there are the drug records, both on the paper chart and on the controlled substance sheets, which must add up correctly at the end of a case and match what is left in the syringes. I never thought they would be so keen on 5 mcg of fentanyl. In-patient pre-ops for the next day.

You would think that EMRs would make things easier. I definitely like how they log the vital signs. But they typically have 10-15 minutes of intra-operative necessity per case, which was tough when the pediatric ENT room had a new patient in the room every 20 minutes.

Much of that paperwork is necessary, but much is redundant and does not seem to benefit patient care.

How about ophthalmology?
I also agree that ER has less paperwork than a lot of other specialties...but most are pretty bad right now.
And how about sleep medicine?

And how about sleep medicine?

There is a lot of paperwork- every CPAP prescription requires a certificate of medical necesssity (and with medicare, there are ever increasing requirements for certifications for CPAP mask resupply).

A lot of sleep medicine is prescribing durable medical equipment, which takes paperwork.

A sleep clinic note is like that of many other specialties.