Which of these Classes is considered BCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KiddCo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm recalculating my BCPM based on the official AMCAS course classification guide:
https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/course-classification-guide/

I have a few courses that I'm still not sure of, or they fit two categories on the AMCAS's classification.
The course names below are exactly as listed on my transcript.

1: Animal Behavior (NEURO349)
2: Animal Matters (CORE100)
3: Healthcare & Its Disparities (CORE180H)
4: Adirondack Park Ecology (BIOL401J)
5: Bioethics (CORE288)

For Biology, AAMC lists Zoology.
However, it also lists Animal & Avian Sciences under their "Natural & Physical Sciences section (Which is separate from BCMP). So I'm unsure if BCPM for 1 and 2.

I'm leaning toward no on 3.

I'm unsure on 4, as Ecology is listed under Bio, but forestry/environmental sciences/natural resources are under a separate non BCPM category. This course actually had us travel to and live at a research station in a non-public area of the Adirondacks for a little over a week.

5 I'm also unsure of, as it dealt very specifically to heathcare related ethics in biology. We reviewed case studies with cloning, end of life care, unrestricted drug use to end of life patients, doctor assisted suicide, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm recalculating my BCPM based on the official AMCAS course classification guide:
https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/course-classification-guide/

I have a few courses that I'm still not sure of, or they fit two categories on the AMCAS's classification.
The course names below are exactly as listed on my transcript.

1: Animal Behavior (NEURO349)
2: Animal Matters (CORE100)
3: Healthcare & Its Disparities (CORE180H)
4: Adirondack Park Ecology (BIOL401J)
5: Bioethics (CORE288)

For Biology, AAMC lists Zoology.
However, it also lists Animal & Avian Sciences under their "Natural & Physical Sciences section (Which is separate from BCMP). So I'm unsure if BCPM for 1 and 2.

I'm leaning toward no on 3.

I'm unsure on 4, as Ecology is listed under Bio, but forestry/environmental sciences/natural resources are under a separate non BCPM category. This course actually had us travel to and live at a research station in a non-public area of the Adirondacks for a little over a week.

5 I'm also unsure of, as it dealt very specifically to heathcare related ethics in biology. We reviewed case studies with cloning, end of life care, unrestricted drug use to end of life patients, doctor assisted suicide, etc.
I believe the only one I would classify as BCPM is 4

1 may be considered BCPM if it is under neuroscience. 4 Probably would be. I’d say no to the others.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
From the AAMC website: "Each course in the AMCAS application must be classified strictly on the primary content of the course. You are responsible for selecting the correct course classification, but AMCAS reserves the right to change classifications if the assigned classification clearly does not apply."

In other words, the name matters much less than the content of the course. For example, most of my engineering courses are primarily physics, but engineering isn't listed under the BCPM classification. I classified the appropriate courses as physics and I had no issue with it. If you think your courses are primarily biology then you should classify it as such.