Which oncology specialty will make the biggest advances in the coming decades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vancoremed

Reaction score
I know that all oncology fields (medical, surgical, radiation) will all continue to play a large role in cancer treatment and will make advances in their fields. I was wondering which of these fields you think will make the largest advances (being able to treat new cancers they previously didn’t treat or significantly improving the mortality rate for certain cancers).

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Easy med onc... immunotherapy, hormonal therapy will allow med oncs to treat all cancers either neoadj, concurrent or adj for years. They get to dictate the patient care and most specialties refer to them directly even if they are not to provide definitive treatment.

Reactions: 3 users
RO suffers from a deep crisis of lack of big thinking, innovation and growth. We are married to a modality/machine that few understand. Surgeons are looking to give immunotherapy and already give cavitary chemo, but in our field suggestions to grow our spectrum into ONCOLOGY are called “ridiculous”. Our “research” is now like job market stuff, diversity, and lowering indications for XRT or decreasing fractions.

Members don't see this ad :)
RO suffers from a deep crisis of lack of big thinking, innovation and growth. We are married to a modality/machine that few understand. Surgeons are looking to give immunotherapy and already give cavitary chemo, but in our field suggestions to grow our spectrum into ONCOLOGY are called “ridiculous”. Our “research” is now like job market stuff, diversity, and lowering indications for XRT or decreasing fractions.
Just saw a thoracic surgeon refer a T3N1 to a med onc for neoadj immunotherapy for “tumor downgrading.” I guess we are just skipping right over rads. Patient was not and still not a surgical candidate.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I believe alot of what many specialties are practicing is bound to be heavily substituted by AI. Physicians with understanding of how AI works and willing to work not with patients may find alot of jobs opportunities there.

I believe alot of what many specialties are practicing is bound to be heavily substituted by AI. Physicians with understanding of how AI works and willing to work not with patients may find alot of jobs opportunities there.
I’m guessing it is Med onc and rad onc that will see the main AI advances rather than surgical?

Easy it’s medonc
The 90s and early 2000s was the era of physics with radonc seeing significant technological advances.

We are now in the era of biology and the advances are/will be medicines (immuno, pathway targets, etc). Presumably she’d will continue to be given by medonc

doesn’t mean that surgery and radiation won’t be important. But doubt we have much more advances ahead (maybe protons or carbon ions pan out but don’t hold your breath )

I’m guessing it is Med onc and rad onc that will see the main AI advances rather than surgical?
Of course. But many other fields will see those.
Radiology and pathology are the usual suspects.
Yet I feel that internal medicine as a whole will be reshaped, especially in those areas where physicians do not perform interventions (--> endoscopy) and rather try to figure out what the patient has and how to treat the disease.

Lots of what nephrologists nowadays do may easily be substituted by AI.
In 10-20 years patients may be getting dialysis at home by some AI-driven machine that will simply report back to the nephrologist if everything is ok, for instance.

Pretty much any branch of internal medicine where a machine can look at blood values and vital signs to decide on what drug to use may be reshaped by AI.

"I know that all oncology fields (medical, surgical, radiation) will all continue to play a large role in cancer treatment and will make advances in their fields," says the OP. However, rad onc's role is diminishing. This is well documented. And the incidences of our major cancers we treat (prostate, lung e.g.) are declining also. Looked at a certain way...

HjQKmmh.png

... rad onc doesn't have a very, very large role in "C"ancer therapy (e.g., here's the RT utilization pattern in stage III uterine over time), and has not been innovating in terms of cancer survival that I can recall. The green shading is a bit of a WAG by me right now but it's not off by much I suppose. (Existentially, of course, given how many rad oncs there are... 1 rad onc for every 6 new pancreas ca patients in the US!... and looking at rad onc utilization... )

There was an interesting review article that came out a couple years ago, "Practice-changing radiation therapy trials for the treatment of cancer: where are we 150 years after the birth of Marie Curie?" In it, some of the best minds in the world predicted here's where/how RT would impact cancer therapy in the future:

Improved survival rates are likely to occur through employing/adopting RT in novel situations. There is growing interest in using SBRT to deliver a much higher dose than traditionally given for oligometastatic or oligoprogressive disease; early trials have shown improvements in progression-free survival for this approach. Larger trials aiming to evaluate the role and benefit of ‘radical’ high-dose RT in oligometastatic disease across disease sites are currently underway in the UK (CORE) or in development (ESTRO/EORTC OligoCare studies). SBRT and/or MR-guided RT may also prove beneficial in cancers not traditionally amenable to RT, such as renal and pancreatic cancers, due to the previous inability to irradiate without including large normal tissue margins that precluded the delivery of a tumouricidal dose. Survival may also be improved through dose escalation via improved image guidance (as previously discussed), and novel drug combinations with RT.

IMHO, survival improvements are the "red rose" of cancer therapy. Will treating mets and rare cancers like pancreas be how rad onc innovates in the next decade? It's tough to improve survival with XRT over and above what we already use it for. We are just not going to see curve separations like this or this in XRT, ever. For the last twenty plus years I have been hearing about this unicorny, magical new (non-chemo) drug that will somehow interact with radiation that will make radiation work better. How many hundreds of MD/PhDs have worked on that problem, and how many of these drugs do we use in the clinic daily?

But... keep an eye on FLASH. IF we can offer the same cancer benefit as present-day XRT w/ much less side effects and in a lot fewer fractions, that will be great.

1. Trends in the Utilization of Radiation Therapy (XRT) Among Patients with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL) in the United States (US).
2. What is the optimal radiotherapy utilization rate for lung cancer?—a systematic review.
3. Trends in the use of radiation therapy for stage IIA prostate cancer from 2004 to 2013: a retrospective analysis using the National Cancer Database.
4. Internal mammary and medial supraclavicular lymph node chain irradiation in stage I–III breast cancer (EORTC 22922/10925): 15-year results of a randomised, phase 3 trial.

Just saw a thoracic surgeon refer a T3N1 to a med onc for neoadj immunotherapy for “tumor downgrading.” I guess we are just skipping right over rads. Patient was not and still not a surgical candidate.
This is ridiculous in every sense. Thoracic surgeons like this should be ashamed of themselves for being "anti-data" and can go to hell. Med oncs who accept and treat those types of referred patients aren't much better at all and are still embarrassments to being called "oncologists".

• Haha
This is ridiculous in every sense. Thoracic surgeons like this should be ashamed of themselves for being "anti-data" and can go to hell. Med oncs who accept and treat those types of referred patients aren't much better at all and are still embarrassments to being called "oncologists".

FWIW I've seen this (neoadj. immuno) only done on protocol, which is obviously where Pharma wants to get into the space. THe anecdotal results of it look like garbage compared to neoadjuvant cytotoxic chemotherapy (with or without radiation - RT not mandatory in neoadj space anymore per SAKK trial and meta-analyses)

Reactions: 1 users
FWIW I've seen this (neoadj. immuno) only done on protocol, which is obviously where Pharma wants to get into the space. THe anecdotal results of it look like garbage compared to neoadjuvant cytotoxic chemotherapy (with or without radiation - RT not mandatory in neoadj space anymore per SAKK trial and meta-analyses)

I wouldn't condone doing off study, but the results of the NADIM II study were actually crazy good and rates of pCR were way higher than historical control with neoadjuvant chemo alone
1607373504612.png

I wouldn't condone doing off study, but the results of the NADIM II study were actually crazy good and rates of pCR were way higher than historical control with neoadjuvant chemo alone
View attachment 324587
Good a place as any to drop this:

Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 324587

Good find. Combination chemo + immuno I suppose I could get behind based on these results. I've seen a lot of IT alone protocols, presumably for people that aren't as able-bodied to tolerate neoadjuvant chemo.

"I know that all oncology fields (medical, surgical, radiation) will all continue to play a large role in cancer treatment and will make advances in their fields," says the OP. However, rad onc's role is diminishing. This is well documented. And the incidences of our major cancers we treat (prostate, lung e.g.) are declining also. Looked at a certain way...

HjQKmmh.png

... rad onc doesn't have a very, very large role in "C"ancer therapy (e.g., here's the RT utilization pattern in stage III uterine over time), and has not been innovating in terms of cancer survival that I can recall. The green shading is a bit of a WAG by me right now but it's not off by much I suppose. (Existentially, of course, given how many rad oncs there are... 1 rad onc for every 6 new pancreas ca patients in the US!... and looking at rad onc utilization... )

There was an interesting review article that came out a couple years ago, "Practice-changing radiation therapy trials for the treatment of cancer: where are we 150 years after the birth of Marie Curie?" In it, some of the best minds in the world predicted here's where/how RT would impact cancer therapy in the future:

Improved survival rates are likely to occur through employing/adopting RT in novel situations. There is growing interest in using SBRT to deliver a much higher dose than traditionally given for oligometastatic or oligoprogressive disease; early trials have shown improvements in progression-free survival for this approach. Larger trials aiming to evaluate the role and benefit of ‘radical’ high-dose RT in oligometastatic disease across disease sites are currently underway in the UK (CORE) or in development (ESTRO/EORTC OligoCare studies). SBRT and/or MR-guided RT may also prove beneficial in cancers not traditionally amenable to RT, such as renal and pancreatic cancers, due to the previous inability to irradiate without including large normal tissue margins that precluded the delivery of a tumouricidal dose. Survival may also be improved through dose escalation via improved image guidance (as previously discussed), and novel drug combinations with RT.

IMHO, survival improvements are the "red rose" of cancer therapy. Will treating mets and rare cancers like pancreas be how rad onc innovates in the next decade? It's tough to improve survival with XRT over and above what we already use it for. We are just not going to see curve separations like this or this in XRT, ever. For the last twenty plus years I have been hearing about this unicorny, magical new (non-chemo) drug that will somehow interact with radiation that will make radiation work better. How many hundreds of MD/PhDs have worked on that problem, and how many of these drugs do we use in the clinic daily?

But... keep an eye on FLASH. IF we can offer the same cancer benefit as present-day XRT w/ much less side effects and in a lot fewer fractions, that will be great.

1. Trends in the Utilization of Radiation Therapy (XRT) Among Patients with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL) in the United States (US).
2. What is the optimal radiotherapy utilization rate for lung cancer?—a systematic review.
3. Trends in the use of radiation therapy for stage IIA prostate cancer from 2004 to 2013: a retrospective analysis using the National Cancer Database.
4. Internal mammary and medial supraclavicular lymph node chain irradiation in stage I–III breast cancer (EORTC 22922/10925): 15-year results of a randomised, phase 3 trial.
While the future is both unknown and unknowable, I personally think that Rad Onc will have a major role to play in improving overall survival for patients with stage IV disease in the next 20 years.

The 5 year data from SABR-COMET are shockingly good from an OS standpoint. The FDA wants to see overall survival benefits in its new approvals, and stage IV disease by definition has the greatest potential for OS improvement.

This requires a fundamental mindset change for our field and even how we prescribe radiation daily. In every place I've practiced, there are 2 boxes, "Curative" and "Palliative" near the top of the Rx form. There is no such box when medical oncologists prescribe chemo, immunity, or targeted tx in stage IV cancer or any other stage. We need to literally think outside those 2 boxes. SRS for 5 small brain mets for example, is neither curative nor palliative, but makes a big difference in keeping someone alive and functioning longer, but is neither curative or palliative per se.

What if we could reduce the toxicity of radiation treatment enough so that 10% of stage IV patients will die of something else? That would save 60,000 cancer deaths per year.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Just playing devils advocate, but phase 3 SABR COMET trial results more likely to be negative than positive, based on likelihood of prior randomized phase 2 trials predicting phase 3 outcomes.

While the future is both unknown and unknowable, I personally think that Rad Onc will have a major role to play in improving overall survival for patients with stage IV disease in the next 20 years.

The 5 year data from SABR-COMET are shockingly good from an OS standpoint. The FDA wants to see overall survival benefits in its new approvals, and stage IV disease by definition has the greatest potential for OS improvement.

This requires a fundamental mindset change for our field and even how we prescribe radiation daily. In every place I've practiced, there are 2 boxes, "Curative" and "Palliative" near the top of the Rx form. There is no such box when medical oncologists prescribe chemo, immunity, or targeted tx in stage IV cancer or any other stage. We need to literally think outside those 2 boxes. SRS for 5 small brain mets for example, is neither curative nor palliative, but makes a big difference in keeping someone alive and functioning longer, but is neither curative or palliative per se.

What if we could reduce the toxicity of radiation treatment enough so that 10% of stage IV patients will die of something else? That would save 60,000 cancer deaths per year.
There are many layers to “stage iv” cancers and although I agree radiation can play a major role in the future, rad oncs would not be credited for any major survival gains. Also the “toxicities” of radiation for stage iv patients are very minimal already.

Also to be fair, med oncs can’t “cure” solid tumors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Just playing devils advocate, but phase 3 SABR COMET trial results more likely to be negative than positive, based on likelihood of prior randomized phase 2 trials predicting phase 3 outcomes.
Re: "shockingly" good survival in SABR-COMET. One of these days we're all gonna have to get together and be honest about the limits and abilities of radiotherapy to affect survivals. Irradiation of micrometastatic lymphatic disease won't improve survival in breast, but irradiating macrometastatic hematogenously spread disease will? (Most the patients in SABR COMET were breast patients I believe), What's the mechanism for demonstrated failure to affect survival in thousands of patients in the former and the "shockingly" good survival effect in tens of patients in the latter? Immune system? Magic? Statistical noise? I think SABR can improve survival. Can. But it's got a long row to hoe.

Back to "shockingly good." For context, the p-value of the OS advantage when SABR COMET first came out was 0.09. Now it's 0.006. I have placed the two graphs on top of one another as best as I know how...

T3SVlC2.png

In the "clearly visible" graph is the updated p=0.006 finding (and the curves go out longer in time). The more opaque graph, the initial p=0.09 finding. First observation: the general shape/trend of the curves is about the same. With more events and followup, the initial difference has stayed the same (this is actually predicted statistically, most people don't realize: the shapes/distances between the curves don't appreciably change over time, most of the time) but become more statistically significant. That's not "shocking." That's math. In the control arm I count about 23 events by year 5, and in the SABR arm 32 events by year 5. So if there'd been about 3 less deaths in the control arm, and 2 more deaths in the SABR arm, by year 5, the shockingly good difference would be shockingly absent (at least p>0.05, which in this trial they actually allowed p<0.2 as statistically significant). In addition, there have been 5 more deaths past three years in the control arm. Since the SABR arm has twice as many patients, we'd expect ~10 deaths past 3 years in the SABR arm if SABR was as "bad" survival as the control arm. How many have happened? I count 9. Nine is less than 10, I'll grant you that!

We are basing enthusiasm at best and a change in practice at worse over one exploratory trial and the behavior of about 5-6 patients in that trial? Maybe even as few as one patient? I agree the data is "hypothesis generating." But it's not ready for prime time. Systemic therapy, immunotx, medical oncology, yada yada yada. I won't even get started.

More prostate patients on one arm than the other. Effect sizes in small trials are routinely overestimated. I await the larger primary site specific PhIII trials before jumping on this bandwagon (forgive the cultural appropriation for this analogy-i have never been on a bandwagon)

More prostate patients on one arm than the other. Effect sizes in small trials are routinely overestimated. I await the larger primary site specific PhIII trials before jumping on this bandwagon (forgive the cultural appropriation for this analogy-i have never been on a bandwagon)

Forgiven for the reference. A lot of us that ride Bandwagons daily were a little surprised someone of your stature would use that phrase, but appreciate you realizing your error.

Forgiven for the reference. A lot of us that ride Bandwagons daily were a little surprised someone of your stature would use that phrase, but appreciate you realizing your error.
Stature? I am at the median in height (slightly over in weight).

• Haha
Added for context (pasted from Wikipedia)
The phrase "jump on the bandwagon" first appeared in American politics in 1848 when Dan Rice, a famous and popular circus clown of the time, used his bandwagon and its music to gain attention for his political campaign appearances. As his campaign became more successful, other politicians strove for a seat on the bandwagon, hoping to be associated with his success. Later, during the time of William Jennings Bryan's 1900 presidential campaign, bandwagons had become standard in campaigns,[6] and the phrase "jump on the bandwagon" was used as a derogatory term, implying that people were associating themselves with success without considering that with which they associated themselves.
1607619560484.png

Added for context (pasted from Wikipedia)
The phrase "jump on the bandwagon" first appeared in American politics in 1848 when Dan Rice, a famous and popular circus clown of the time, used his bandwagon and its music to gain attention for his political campaign appearances. As his campaign became more successful, other politicians strove for a seat on the bandwagon, hoping to be associated with his success. Later, during the time of William Jennings Bryan's 1900 presidential campaign, bandwagons had become standard in campaigns,[6] and the phrase "jump on the bandwagon" was used as a derogatory term, implying that people were associating themselves with success without considering that with which they associated themselves.
View attachment 324822
You are out of line Mr. This thread is devoted to predicting the demise of our field. Take your educational tidbits elsewhere :)

• Haha
You are out of line Mr. This thread is devoted to predicting the demise of our field. Take your educational tidbits elsewhere :)
Um sorry. Pessimism? You want pessimism? I have a Master's Degree in negativity bias...

Imagine this

Linac production is consolidated so there is a monopoly (happening already)

All future machines designed only to deliver treatment in <6 fractions as a result of RO APM

Private equity takes over the market (see dermatology and EM)

Majority of planning is automated

Assume same demand (patients treated per year)

2005 site with 3-4 physicians 3-4 linacs two sims employing 15-20 people

2030 site has 0.5 physician one machine (shares sim with virtualpartner) employing 5 people

Doomed...we are doomed

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Um sorry. Pessimism? You want pessimism? I have a Master's Degree in negativity bias...

Imagine this

All future machines designed only to deliver treatment in <6 fractions as a result of RO APM

2030 site has 0.5 physician one machine (shares sim with virtualpartner) employing 5 people

Doomed...we are doomed

I am just ending my first year of practice. I have 15 patients on beam and I am totally bored. I could easily handle double this... probably triple if I stayed busy the whole time

Definitely doomed.....

• Haha
  • Sad
I am just ending my first year of practice. I have 15 patients on beam and I am totally bored. I could easily handle double this... probably triple if I stayed busy the whole time

Definitely doomed.....
My first year of practice I reached (for a week or two, here or there) 70 under beam by myself and worked 7 AM to 7PM most days and had to do all my dictations on Saturday and Sunday. Not kidding. I have no tales about walking to work in the snow tho.

• Wow
  • Haha

Imagine this

Doomed...we are doomed
Once "they" allowed, or unintentionally allowed to happen, the commoditization of rad oncs themselves (oversupplied), that at least allows scenarios like this to possibly happen. It can be reversed though. How? Simply uncommoditize rad oncs. But a "radical" de-commoditization is the only possibility I'm afraid. (I.e., produce no new rad oncs for ~5 years.) The sweet spot was ~2000-2010 time frame. Lots of new demand, lots of new tech, residents could command high salary prices out of residency because they were in demand. Because they were rare. Places struggled to find people, new grads or not, in ~2005.

Definitely doomed.....
Agree. 15-25 out in the real world is very doable and certainly not close to a max for an industrious rad Onc

Agree. 15-25 out in the real world is very doable and certainly not close to a max for an industrious rad Onc

I get up to 35 and I’m ready to cut back, but volumes typically then dip.

With all the APM and other uncertainties, no way I’d want to hire another doc right now.

Aside: with hypofrac /SBRT the computer work still there, but less OTV and the other variable that frees up time is less time patient in building interacting with therapists /staff...so less times I get “hey Mr Snith has a *insert new random symptom or question* and needs to see you. Or Mrs smith pain worse, can you adjust her meds?”

In hospital based practice 35-40 is really the max before you start dropping the ball. A freestanding center, max much higher if a lot of breast and prostate.

In hospital based practice 35-40 is really the max before you start dropping the ball. A freestanding center, max much higher if a lot of breast and prostate.
Two sites we hypofx and ultra-hypofx to not even offer treatment at all in some.

I think we need to stop even bringing up patient numbers these days as it’s not the same anymore. As others have pointed out, a large CNS practice would only treat patients 1-3 times on avg. A thoracic doc may do a lot more SBRT, etc. In two years, that same rad onc who use to have 30 patients may have a total of 5-15 patients “on treatment” yet sims are the same and he now has less hair.

Imagine this

Doomed...we are doomed
You win. Lets go back to talking about bandwagons.

• Love
These are turning into macro-aggressions against my people, sir.

To be brutally honest, maybe this is the time to snatch that cushy VA gig and stay there for 20-30 years. I couldn’t imagine owning a private practice and having to sustain in these times. I just came across a med onc who would defer a patient for radiation with 20 brain mets to give a trial of TKI.

There are many layers to “stage iv” cancers and although I agree radiation can play a major role in the future, rad oncs would not be credited for any major survival gains. Also the “toxicities” of radiation for stage iv patients are very minimal already.

Also to be fair, med oncs can’t “cure” solid tumors.
Thanks RadOncDoc21. You bring up 3 excellent points: 1. drug therapy alone is seldom curative for solid tumors, at least historically. I think this is beginning to change in the immune era, at least for melanoma, as there were 10% of patients alive after 10 years in the trial that got Ipilimumab approved as monotherapy. 2 and 3 drug combos look even better.

2. The response rate/shrinkage to immunotherapy alone is poor due to lack of direct cytotoxic effects, which is why combinations with chemo are doing better than monotherapy. Radiation could be that cytotoxic "drug" but we will need to avoid inducing lymphopenia.

3. Besides lymphopenia, there are other toxic effects of SBRT to worry about. Just ask the 3 patients in the SABR arm of SABR-COMET who died early on from classic toxicities like pneumonitis and GI bleed. Without this 4.5% lethality rate, the results would be even stronger.

Ju
Thanks RadOncDoc21. You bring up 3 excellent points: 1. drug therapy alone is seldom curative for solid tumors, at least historically. I think this is beginning to change in the immune era, at least for melanoma, as there were 10% of patients alive after 10 years in the trial that got Ipilimumab approved as monotherapy. 2 and 3 drug combos look even better.

2. The response rate/shrinkage to immunotherapy alone is poor due to lack of direct cytotoxic effects, which is why combinations with chemo are doing better than monotherapy. Radiation could be that cytotoxic "drug" but we will need to avoid inducing lymphopenia.

3. Besides lymphopenia, there are other toxic effects of SBRT to worry about. Just ask the 3 patients in the SABR arm of SABR-COMET who died early on from classic toxicities like pneumonitis and GI bleed. Without this 4.5% lethality rate, the results would be even stronger.
I respect the COMET data but please keep in mind the small number of patients in the arms and the G5 toxicities compared to other trials. For instance in the Rosel-Stars pooled data there were no G5 toxicities associated with SBRT and 5% G5 in the surgery arm. Although very low number of patients in each arm.

Bottom line, we can take data from studies but really shouldn’t use one source as the definitive number especially in regards to stage iv patients that already have multiple confounding issues.

For #3, this is why importance of risk-adapted dosing is so important. >= 50Gy in 5 fractions for stage I NSCLC? Yes, critical importance. An oligomet or oligoprogressive patient with disease close to esophagus? OK to give something gentler in terms of dosing - goal should be make sure OARs are respected FIRST, then worry about dose to tumor.

There was that one trial looking at oligomet NSCLC (think EGFR mutated?) that showed excellent results going (mostly) to 40Gy in 5 fractions, rather than 50/5.

Reactions: 6 users
Why so serious?

I can't understand how depressed the field in the US is.

Always the same discussion about which of 5x7Gy isodose 80 or 5X8G isodose 90 is better...

I don't understand why nobody talks about potentially the most disruptive discovery in our field ever: Flash radiotherapy.

AAPM is virtually all in. All manufacturers are all in.

No roadblock until now. There is serious hope this will work.

If it does, surgical onc has less than 10 years to live.
You must see the terror in the surgeon's eyes when they see what is potentially coming their only hope is protons or high energy e- are not working so they can combine with IORT.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
  • Okay...
Why so serious?

Always the same discussion about which of 5x7Gy isodose 80 or 5X8G isodose 90 is better...

I don't understand why nobody talks about potentially the most disruptive discovery in our field ever: Flash radiotherapy.

AAPM is virtually all in. All manufacturers are in. CERN is in.

You must see the terror in the surgeon's eyes when they see what is potentially coming.

"Potentially"

"Virtually"

"Hope"

"If"

"Potentially"

I don't know if anyone has terror in their eyes just yet, but I love your optimism!

• Haha
"Potentially"

"Virtually"

"Hope"

"If"

"Potentially"

I don't know if anyone has terror in their eyes just yet, but I love your optimism!
How do you use “disruptive” to describe something that has 30% more cell kill (in cell culture!) for isoctoxicty? Something promising would have at least several orders of magnitude benefit and even then would unlikely to translate into the clinic.

How do you use “disruptive” to describe something that has 30% more cell kill (in cell culture!) for isoctoxicty?
What?
This is just plain wrong.

Early models show it would allow for a 30% isotoxic dose escalation at current tox limited curative doses. (your sentence doesn't even make any sense, you can pick any place in the sigmoid curve, and any delta cell kill by varying the isotoxic level)

Plug that in the TC model of your choosing, and see if it is not clinically significant...

No iso toxicity study has even been published, only data show major benefit in dose limiting toxicity far in the ascending part dose of the NTCP curve and isoeffective TCP.

What?
This is just plain wrong.

Early models show it would allow for a 30% isotoxic dose escalation at current curative doses.

Plug that in the TC model of you choosing...

No iso toxicity study has even been published, only data show major benefit in dose limiting toxicity in the ascending part dose of the NTCP curve and isoeffective TCP.
Hyperbaric, hyperthermia give similar benefit in this ball park and never amounted to much. At least most drugs totally cure cancer in mice before failing in the clinic.

Hyperbaric, hyperthermia give similar benefit in this ball park and never amounted to much. At least most drugs totally cure cancer in mice before failing in the clinic.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I believe we've all heard similar claims for the past 30+ years about various advances. Nimorazole comes to mind, and that study started in 1986!

@Jim556 I don't want to imply that I don't find FLASH exciting or intriguing - I most certainly do, I think everyone does. It feels similar, in a way, to TTF (though TTF has more mature data), and less like Gleevec.

Perhaps, in 10 years, there will be some compelling Phase I/II data. Obviously I hope I'm wrong for 1,000 reasons, but I've watched a lot of scientists sell a lot of things over the years, and won't be holding my breath quite yet.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I believe we've all heard similar claims for the past 30+ years about various advances. Nimorazole comes to mind, and that study started in 1986!

@Jim556 I don't want to imply that I don't find FLASH exciting or intriguing - I most certainly do, I think everyone does. It feels similar, in a way, to TTF (though TTF has more mature data), and less like Gleevec.

Perhaps, in 10 years, there will be some compelling Phase I/II data. Obviously I hope I'm wrong for 1,000 reasons, but I've watched a lot of scientists sell a lot of things over the years, and won't be holding my breath quite yet.

You are comparing Flash radiotherapy with TTF?
This is hopeless.

Did you know they were both invented 100 feet away btw?

It's sad to see how depressing the mood became. I sincerely hope it could change soon, at least for our patients...

• Sad
Why so serious?

AAPM is virtually all in. All manufacturers are all in.

You must see the terror in the surgeon's eyes when they see what is potentially coming their only hope is protons or high energy e- are not working so they can combine with IORT.
Not messin' around Jim, we like FLASH here. I think it's going to work. But as I understand it today, its approach will actually lessen the "intellectual rigor" and effort of RT. No (or little) inverse optimization, OARs, etc. And it'll make treatment courses smaller, thus there'll be workforce ramifications. (Always are.) Machine prices may go up, but will CMS pay more for FLASH which they will see as shortened RT courses with less side effects and less physician effort being expended? If FLASH is kind of like a standard dosing recipe, what does that mean for rad onc residencies? So you gotta look at it both ways. GREAT, possibly, for patients; but perhaps/probably bad for a way oversupplied workforce. A fons et origo for improvement or worsening; TBD. The good 'ol 2-sided p-value at work.