Which one of these Two Master’s programs would be more desirable to program directors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeneurologist

Reaction score
Hi. I’m an IMG, I’m applying for a Master’s program at an ivy league school (I know someone with similar credentials who got accepted so I think I might actually have a shot!)
My ultimate goal is matching at the neurology program of the same university. Now, I’m interested in both Master’s programs as far as career goes (might even do the other one after residency). But for now, I would like to do the one that would maximize my chances of getting matched into my desired program. So what would program directors at ivy league neurology programs prefer: a resident with a Master’s of global health, or a Master’s of medical education?
thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Pick the one you're more interested in and discern which one will be more useful to you. Getting a second masters after residency will have limited benefit for you.

FWIW, "Ivy League" is not particularly impressive past the undergrad level as many of those schools do not have particularly special medical schools, graduate degrees, or residency programs beyond the simple name recognition.

Reactions: 1 users
If you have your eyes on a particular residency program, look up the current residents. Are there any FMGs? What do their CVs look like? Neurology is a very FMG-friendly field, but the top programs are still competitive.

If you're dead-set on the Ivy League, Columbia and Harvard and maybe Penn are the programs of renown. If you look up their FMGs, they have all done research fellowships in the US. I don't think a masters is what you're looking for to get into those programs unless it entails a research fellowship arrangement with the department. Brown, Dartmouth, etc., maybe, I'm not sure.

Edit: Sorry, I thought you said FMG. To confirm—you're an American who has already graduated from a foreign med school, right? I'm not sure how different the landscape is in neurology for IMGs, but it's one of the least competitive fields in medicine overall. I still doubt that there are any IMGs at Columbia or Harvard, though, and a masters is not going to get you there. It is going to be research.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Masters programs are not good stepping stones to med school. What is deficient in your application preventing you from applying now?

Hi. I’m an IMG, I’m applying for a Master’s program at an ivy league school (I know someone with similar credentials who got accepted so I think I might actually have a shot!)
My ultimate goal is matching at the neurology program of the same university. Now, I’m interested in both Master’s programs as far as career goes (might even do the other one after residency). But for now, I would like to do the one that would maximize my chances of getting matched into my desired program. So what would program directors at ivy league neurology programs prefer: a resident with a Master’s of global health, or a Master’s of medical education?
thanks in advance!
Everything I heave read about from our wise SDN residents and attendings make me say "it won't matter". An MS in med ed might be helpful in you getting a teaching gig somewhere, especially at a new DO school.

Thank you to all those who replied!
from your comments, I understand that a Master’s degree wouldn’t help that much in matching to an Ivy League (particularly harvard).. so what would? What is the best way to match into this program?

neither of the masters will make a difference.

Getting a masters degree from an Ivy league program is not difficult nor is it very impressive. I speak of this from experience.

Here is what will:
Scores

Research

Letters from leaders in the field and people that know those PDs

Your time would be better spent doing a research fellowship with that particular program and then working hard. By the end if you can get letters From that program to apply for that program and then have people that would be willing to vouch for you to the PD.

Let's get down to the meat and potato...

What are your stats now?

Step 1: 253
Step 2 CK: 257
Step 2 CS: not taken yet

3 publications in peer reviewed journals, one in epilepsy & behavior

3 years volunteer work

2 years since graduation

U.S. clinical experience/ research experience: not done yet, but planning to do some before applying

to clarify, I’m not american, I’m an international medical graduate

the deficit in my resume preventing me from applying right now: well obviously step 2 CS, but also the fact that I want to apply when I actually have a legitimate shot at getting accepted

Lol, not very great credentials I know, but I‘m ready to do what I can to better my chances!

P.S. how prestigious is a neurology M.D. from harvard anyway?

3 years volunteer work

2 years since graduation

U.S. clinical experience/ research experience: not done yet, but planning to do some before applying

the deficit in my resume preventing me from applying right now: well obviously step 2 CS, but also the fact that I want to apply when I actually have a legitimate shot at getting accepted

Lol, not very great credentials I know, but I‘m ready to do what I can to better my chances!

Unless that program has a ton of imfs already, you probably won’t be the first

You need to be realistic

I would imagine you have a strong chance to match in neurology in the US, but probably not at Harvard. The Ivy League is really only relevant when you're talking about undergraduate schools. You can apply, but I doubt you will match there.

You should also be careful about taking so many years between graduation and when you enter the match. I think the chance of matching decreases significantly as years post graduation increase. Anything beyond that is just speculation on my part though.

3 years volunteer work

2 years since graduation

You're doing this all wrong. First and most glaring, your year-of-graduation is two years ago and you're an IMG. You have a low chance of matching at any high-tier neurology program, let alone Harvard. You may match at a low-tier university program if you apply this summer. But if you go one more year without applying, I'd honestly only consider community programs within your reach, despite your great scores.

A Master's is going to do nothing for you at this point. The time to get a Master's is when you're in med school or delaying med school graduation to get it. Programs want CLINICAL experience and the longer you're out of med school, the lower down you go on the rank list, even if you get interviews.

No one gets a neurology MD from Harvard. That's not a thing. You get an MD from the school you went to. You get a neurology residency at at your residency program. Harvard, like Yale and Columbia, is prestigious in terms of marketing yourself, but patients don't care. Just get into residency. Taking extra time off to get a senseless Master's degree is going to cost you interviews and ranks and in worst case scenario, you won't match because you've been out of school too long and you're an IMG.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
I would be pretty impressed if you told me you had a Masters in humanities, Philosophy, English, History. Religion. Journalism, Public policy etc etc.