which one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hermeone

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wish to apply to Md/PhD program but my scores seem low. If not, MD will do. I am wondering which school should I apply to?

I am a foreign student (neither us citizen nor green card)

I am have in US for almost 3 years

I have a CGPA of 3.62

BCPM 3.56-about half are graduate courses(500-700 level) but I am still an undergraduate(a senior)

The lowe GPa are due to a year of working 2-3 jobs while taking 18-23 credit hours due to finanical crisis (very unexpected)

non science GPA 3.64

My major is electrical engineering. Minor in physical chemistry

I go to a big public state school

MCAT 38 R (april 2003)

Two research- two publications already as first and second author

I am a health advocate in my school

Voluntered about 1.5 years in the hospital

I worked in a pharmacy before for 6 months, worked for a chinese medicine doctor for 6 months and an opthalmology for 6 months (just to gauge if I like medicine).

I hold a part time job apart from the 2 research jobs.

I don't have a lot of extra curr. but I teach music (have a diploma in music performance)

Hobbies: play musical instrument, compose songs, html programming, reading, play tennis and archery

Ps: My school does not have any pre-med advisors.

:( :(

Members don't see this ad.

Man, u have no problem. When I saw your 38R MCAT I was confused because you said that your scores seemed low. Well, they aren't. U even have pubs :(! Just take care of your application and write good personal essays (or SOPs??). I think you are ok. I am a junior but international as well . . . applying next year. But sincerely, I think you have strong stats . . . I should be asking you for advice and not the other way round. Let's wait and see what the "experts" have to say . . . particularly those who have been denizens of the application process.

I already mentioned it elsewhere, look for schools that don't use citizenship status as an admission factors, because the competition is stiff for non-US citizens.

With your scores, GPA, and a reasonable amount of Extra-curricular stuff, you can give Yale and Stanford (Both don't use citizenship as admission factor) a try. Vanderbilt (A famous school in the south) is also very welcoming to foreign students.

On the other hand, stay away from most of the UC's, Cornell, Duke, and maybe NYU, all accept about 1 foreign student per year only.