Which other biology...

Started by Joshmerd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Joshmerd

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which other courses would you recommend (as far as biology goes). This is my minor so I need about 2 more from the 300 or 400 level.

biology_courses.jpg
 
Check out the school's curriculum to see what classes you could take to prepare for. For example, biochemistry is a common first course in graduate school so this may be a good course to take. Although some schools consider this course solely a chemistry elective, but some allow you to take it for biology credit. I would put major consideration into a cell biology course or possibly a problem based course to prepare you for problem based learning.

Hope this helps a little bit.
 
Cell and molecular. I took it at my school, because it was required for my bio minor plus it was a prereq for micro. But, I thought it was a relevant class, although I haven't taken the OAT so I don't know how much of that is actually on the test.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree. Out of those choices I would take Cell & Molecular.
 
definitely Plant Taxonomy. Every day here at ICO I wish I had more knowledge of plant taxonomy.

Honestly, cell and molecular, and maybe histology.
 
Why do you wish you had more knowledge of plant taxonomy?

Also, why is cell and molec such a great class to take? i have not taken it, but I have considered it. It is one of my school's most difficult science classes and very few take it unless they have already been accepted to their school of choice because they are afraid of the grade they will receive in it.
My question then would involve how beneficial this class is.
 
Why do you wish you had more knowledge of plant taxonomy?

Also, why is cell and molec such a great class to take? i have not taken it, but I have considered it. It is one of my school's most difficult science classes and very few take it unless they have already been accepted to their school of choice because they are afraid of the grade they will receive in it.
My question then would involve how beneficial this class is.

Cell and molec is a great class because it teaches you the fundamentals of basic life processes which I personally think is pretty important. I haven't taken the OAT yet but I feel like a good amount of that information would be on the test. It doesn't have a bad rep at my school (that would be our organic chem, it is the WORST), but if it's that difficult, I would suggest taking it over the summer at a different school. That's what I did for physics.
 
If you need to pick two more from that list I would take cell and molecular and histology.
 
I would recommend Histology or Molecular.
humm..... just wondering what is you major?
 
The classes from that list that I think would help you most after you got into optometry school would be histology and pharmacology. Cell/Molec bio might be more interesting, though, and would also help -- though, honestly, the cell bio in OD school is pretty basic.

Good luck with your choices! :luck:
 
One of the reasons I suggested Cell & Molecular is because at our school most of the curriculum was problem-based and many previous graduates said that it was by far the best preparation for the next level. Although your school may differ in the type of curriculum.