Which perspectives are welcome here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, the discussion is kind of going somewhere, but that somewhere is the same old place that these always go. I'm still pretty much just seeing confirmation bias, mind reading, and gross generalizations. Nothing really new here. Though, I am enjoying the irony to some extent. This could actually turn into a decent discussion, you know, with that good faith thing and all.
In 100% good faith: I do not know what it is you are trying to convey with this comment. You're engaging in the conversation, which implies there is some level of investment in the topic, and the comment itself comes across as both dismissive and vaguely hopeful. I'm confused by it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
In 100% good faith: I do not know what it is you are trying to convey with this comment. You're engaging in the conversation, which implies there is some level of investment in the topic, and the comment itself comes across as both dismissive and vaguely hopeful. I'm confused by it.

Sure, the conveyance is that no one is really bringing up a discussion point for a balanced discussion. Every time something is brought up, it is loaded. Or, when a poster tries to make a point about another group, they hypocritically engage in pretty much the same behavior. This discussion was doomed from the start.

Reactions: 1 user
Follow-up here, good faith question for an actual discussion with no loaded wording.

People bring up the power dynamics issue quite a bit. How does that play out on the forum here? How does one poster meaningfully exercise power over another poster? If it exists, where does this power come from? Seniority? Gender? Some definition of aggression? Also, how is that power exercised as no one can censor another poster aside from reporting a TOS violation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I post here and treat people exactly like I do in real life.

This could be a problem. Many posters/lurkers/first time readers here are students (including undergrads) at a rather confusing and vulnerable point in there lives (at leas I think that’s the safest assumption to make). Also- I think in some cases we more senior members are in the role of salespeople for the field. While I try to respectful and thoughtful in “real life” (through some trial and error I’ve realized that my life is easier and nicer when I’m nicer to others- even those I don’t particularly care for) I’m probably a little nicer on here. You can be truthful, assertive, and- most importantly- effective, while still being kind.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
makes you wonder if the actual point for the toxic poster is to puff up their ego by putting others down, rather than to give helpful advice. It's gross.
And by the way- you got a dyed in the wool behavior analyst to agree with an explanation of human behavior that contained the word “ego”! Maybe there is some hope. Well done!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Thursdays are my clinical day and I’m about to head home for dinner with my family. However, thank you @msgeorgeeliot for starting this thread and all those who’ve engaged in good faith. It’s an important discussion and I hope to contribute more tomorrow; for now I’m perfectly content to listen (and play with my kids).

• Love
Follow-up here, good faith question for an actual discussion with no loaded wording.

People bring up the power dynamics issue quite a bit. How does that play out on the forum here? How does one poster meaningfully exercise power over another poster? If it exists, where does this power come from? Seniority? Gender? Some definition of aggression? Also, how is that power exercised as no one can censor another poster aside from reporting a TOS violation?
The power dynamic here comes in the form of expertise. Like Clinical ABA just pointed out, a lot of the posters here are students / people considering going into psych. That's where I was when I first found this board. You can easily tell who has been here for a really long time and who has expertise, and it's very intimidating. A lot of the long-time posters are friends IRL, which is a great thing! But knowing that, it also can make it scary because no one wants to be shouted down or made to feel stupid / not good enough, even in an anonymous online forum. Knowing that people are friends and you're not in that group, it's hard to stand up against overly sharp/mean comments, because no one wants to end up on the bottom of a dogpile. Especially when you're on the outside of an intimidating, prestigious, highly educated field, not even sure if you are good enough to ever belong. I'm not in that position anymore. But I remember what it felt like.

• Love
And by the way- you got a dyed in the wool behavior analyst to agree with an explanation of human behavior that contained the word “ego”! Maybe there is some hope. Well done!
And I'm not normally someone who would ever use this concept!

So, it's all seniority and perception of expertise? In the case of allowing oneself to feel stupid, what, aside from hurt feelings, keeps that poster from posting? What real power is there to censor someone's viewpoint. So, someone said an idea was not great, so what? What's to keep that person from making a well reasoned argument to back up there viewpoint? And, if it is a stupid viewpoint, so what? It's ok to do something stupid now and then. I still haven't seen a good argument for a power dynamic issue here aside from someone letting someone else get to them because they didn't agree with them.

Also, hearkening back to self-reflection. Nice to see people trying to bring up the idea of name calling and bullying resorting to implying psychopathology in other posters. Words to live by, indeed.

Part of the challenge with the message getting lost in the delivery is that often the message is not what the poster wants to hear bc they are seeking validation for a decision/position that is not supported in the response. Posts wrapped in some snark/sarcasm/etc makes it easier for the message to be discounted and sometimes completely dismissed.

The snark/sarcasm is likely the result of a cyclical response pattern we see, so while it may be the 1st time for that OP, it’s the 12th “I don’t want to hear anything but confirmation for my bad/unrealistic plan”. This doesn’t mean all posts are seeking confirmation of feelings/beliefs, but those are the ones that seem to attract the ire of the more ornery posters.

This doesn't excuse or explain the other concerns brought up in this thread about visibility (or lack there of), representation, not feeling comfortable posting, toxicity (which I think is far more complex than a “boys club”), etc. Each probably deserves their own thread, but there is also a lot of interconnected issues, so that complicated things, particularly using s medium where (actual) tone, body language, etc are not available to provide further context.

I definitely have seen improvements on here in the past few years in regard to more diversity in posters. We are likely one of the friendlier forums on SDN, which i’m sure will shock some people. I regularly encourage posters to go read in the Pre-Allo forum if they want to see how much snarkier and dismissive posters can be on SDN.

Last edited:
Look, I'm definitely not perfect and I throw some serious shade IRL, I'm not trying to pretend to be a saint. But also: I was not trying to imply psychopathology in anybody..? In my understanding, a mentally healthy individual can have selfish intentions in social interactions, online or otherwise.

Look, I'm definitely not perfect and I throw some serious shade IRL, I'm not trying to pretend to be a saint. But also: I was not trying to imply psychopathology in anybody..? In my understanding, a mentally healthy individual can have selfish intentions in social interactions, online or otherwise.

Fair, but can you see how disingenuous arguments are when they turn around and engage in the same behavior that they are railing against? Actually, in some ways, it's more insidious as it constitutes characterological attacks?

Members don't see this ad :)
Part of the challenge with the message getting lost in the delivery is that often the message is not what the poster wants to hear bc they are seeking validation for a decision/position that is not supported in the response. Posts wrapped in some snark/sarcasm/etc makes it easier for the message to be discounted and sometimes completely dismissed.

The snark/sarcasm is likely the result of a cyclical response pattern we see, so while it may be the 1st time for that OP, it’s the 12th “I don’t want to hear anything but confirmation for my bad/unrealistic plan”. This doesn’t mean all posts are seeking confirmation of feelings/beliefs, but those are the ones that seem to attract the ire of the more ornery posters.

I 100% get this, because I've seen it too and been annoyed by the same thing. That said, we also recently had a whole thread where a poster WAS ready to hear feedback and there was still a dogpile until that poster demonstrated again and again that she was not looking for confirmation. The confirmation bias was actually on the other side. It's a shame to me, because I want there to be more voices on here in general, it will be more interesting and dynamic. It does appear to be going in the right direction.

I think the power dynamics come into play when the moderators do not censure those who are particularly egregious. And repeat offenders. There is a perception of favoritism towards certain members, and they typically are male-identifying posters, so perhaps that’s where the perception of females not being heard/taken seriously/ridiculed/made to feel chastised for the exact behavior they exhibit that male member get a pat on the back and other members are warned to stop.
It seems the TOS are selectively applied. I think that’s a problem. That’s what I see anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
Fair, but can you see how disingenuous arguments are when they turn around and engage in the same behavior that they are railing against? Actually, in some ways, it's more insidious as it constitutes characterological attacks?
I do see what you're saying, yes. And maybe this is just my perception and no one else's, but when you say something, it carries more weight. You're a neuropsychologist. You train people. You make hiring decisions. You've been around here for a long time. You clearly know what you're talking about, and you know the other regular posters. When a new, random, or throwaway account posts something, I don't think readers here take them as seriously. Probably by a big margin. It doesn't excuse the behavior. But I think that this might be why it can feel like a double-standard to some posters (you, maybe?) but not to others. It is a double-standard, in a literal sense. But when you put in the whole context, the impact just isn't the same. It's like the difference between a stranger insulting you or the popular kid from school insulting you. They both hurt, but they aren't on the same level. Does that make sense?

I do see what you're saying, yes. And maybe this is just my perception and no one else's, but when you say something, it carries more weight. You're a neuropsychologist. You train people. You make hiring decisions. You've been around here for a long time. You clearly know what you're talking about, and you know the other regular posters. When a new, random, or throwaway account posts something, I don't think readers here take them as seriously. Probably by a big margin. It doesn't excuse the behavior. But I think that this might be why it can feel like a double-standard to some posters (you, maybe?) but not to others. It is a double-standard, in a literal sense. But when you put in the whole context, the impact just isn't the same. It's like the difference between a stranger insulting you or the popular kid from school insulting you. They both hurt, but they aren't on the same level. Does that make sense?

It makes sense from the point of view of the weight of an attack, though it delegitimatizes your argument to use character attacks. Additionally, some posters may put down an ill informed decision, but they rarely engage in character attacks. While character attacks are often used on them, but apparently its ok because they are "in power?"

I think the power dynamics come into play when the moderators do not censure those who are particularly egregious. And repeat offenders. There is a perception of favoritism towards certain members, and they typically are male-identifying posters, so perhaps that’s where the perception of females not being heard/taken seriously/ridiculed/made to feel chastised for the exact behavior they exhibit that male member get a pat on the back and other members are warned to stop.
It seems the TOS are selectively applied. I think that’s a problem. That’s what I see anyway.
It’s haaaaaard being a mod on SDN. I think our current mods are doing a heck of a job of fostering a better community. They are doing a lot better than I did solo. It’s mostly a thankless job.

One of the hardest parts is not jumping on something and just shutting it down. There has always been a preference (from Lee & the admins) to not intervene unless there is a clear infraction/TOS violation or obvious name calling, etc. I was usually quick on the trigger shutting posts down and I think it hampered threads sorting themselves out. The current approach is definitely better for discussions. It seems like the same less is more approach, the current mods can correct me if things changed.

It’s been a solid 8-9 years since I was a Senior Mod and oversaw the psych forums and the orphan forums (SLP, etc), and the goal back then at least was to be the least intrusive as possible. Issues get brought up amongst mods and they really do get discussed if there is a pattern. I don’t know most of the “newer” non-psych mods of the past 6-8yrs, but the admins and long-standing senior mods are a majority female and they have put a lot of thought and consideration in their decisions. Lee (founder of SDN) has done a wonderful job keeping this place relevant and helpful for tens of thousands of students and professionals. He has also been very supportive of having a mix of diversity in the mods. SDN isn’t perfect, but a lot of time and effort are put in behind the scenes to try and improve the SDN community.

Edit...ok, finally done with edits, so many little mistakes etc.

Last edited:
It makes sense from the point of view of the weight of an attack, though it delegitimatizes your argument to use character attacks. Additionally, some posters may put down an ill informed decision, but they rarely engage in character attacks. While character attacks are often used on them, but apparently its ok because they are "in power?"
I try not to call out anyone by name except on the few occasions that I think a regular/established poster is really going hard on a newbie who is just looking for some help... Maybe I'm just not aware of my own behavior, but could you show me what you mean by a character attack?

I try not to call out anyone by name except on the few occasions that I think a regular/established poster is really going hard on a newbie who is just looking for some help... Maybe I'm just not aware of my own behavior, but could you show me what you mean by a character attack?

From you, something like "makes you wonder if the actual point for the toxic poster is to puff up their ego by putting others down, rather than to give helpful advice. It's gross"

From others, implying that they suffer from a history of entitlement, lack of power, and other more dynamic implications of psychopathology. Or straight out calling someone an a@@hole, jerk, etc

These are just some of the tame examples. Say what you will, but saying that someone is stupid for taking out 300k in loans is way different than espousing an off the cuff psychological profile of someone. It smacks of lack of insight, which is especially ironic as they are doing it in an argument decrying the tone of forum posts.

From you, something like "makes you wonder if the actual point for the toxic poster is to puff up their ego by putting others down, rather than to give helpful advice. It's gross"

From others, implying that they suffer from a history of entitlement, lack of power, and other more dynamic implications of psychopathology. Or straight out calling someone an a@@hole, jerk, etc

These are just some of the tame examples. Say what you will, but saying that someone is stupid for taking out 300k in loans is way different than espousing an off the cuff psychological profile of someone. It smacks of lack of insight, which is especially ironic as they are doing it in an argument decrying the tone of forum posts.
There has definitely been some “tone policing” on here. In a perfect world there would be less snark and more white glove responses, but it’s a free forum with a range of opinions and no ethical requirement to only speak kindly.

FWIW, i’ve tried to be less abrasive on here over the past few years bc my frustrations at one point were too many. Now I just pass on 98% of WAMC posts and a lot of other threads bc it’s not my rodeo.

Well, maybe this is splitting hairs, but speaking for myself, I was calling out behaviors rather than individuals, and describing the impression the behaviors give me - I was not trying to character attack anyone or even say I know for sure what their motives are.

I agree with you about some of the other comments that I've seen that go way too far, usually from newer posters. Where I disagree with you comes down to power and the weight of words being different depending on the size of the platform / level of prestige of the person saying them. It's the whole punching down thing, I just can't get behind it. I don't like seeing people punching anybody, to be fair, but when new posters get extremely frustrated and lash out, it just does not impress me much one way or the other, because they just don't have any clout at all. They're outsiders, and noobs, so to speak, and their comments are easily dismissed.

In the context of an online psychology forum, an established neuropsychologist and a young undergrad who is vulnerable, lots of typos, clearly insecure as all get-out, is just not really a fair fight? I don't think anyone should be insulting you, and I'm certainly not posting here as an endorsement of that... maybe it seems like I'm taking "sides" when I'm not - I'm really just bloviating on my own opinion. I don't agree with every complaint, and I don't agree that it's okay for anyone to be intentionally horrible.

Is what I'm saying really all that far out?

• Love
Well, maybe this is splitting hairs, but speaking for myself, I was calling out behaviors rather than individuals, and describing the impression the behaviors give me - I was not trying to character attack anyone or even say I know for sure what their motives are.

I agree with you about some of the other comments that I've seen that go way too far, usually from newer posters. Where I disagree with you comes down to power and the weight of words being different depending on the size of the platform / level of prestige of the person saying them. It's the whole punching down thing, I just can't get behind it. I don't like seeing people punching anybody, to be fair, but when new posters get extremely frustrated and lash out, it just does not impress me much one way or the other, because they just don't have any clout at all. They're outsiders, and noobs, so to speak, and their comments are easily dismissed.

In the context of an online psychology forum, an established neuropsychologist and a young undergrad who is vulnerable, lots of typos, clearly insecure as all get-out, is just not really a fair fight? I don't think anyone should be insulting you, and I'm certainly not posting here as an endorsement of that... maybe it seems like I'm taking "sides" when I'm not - I'm really just bloviating on my own opinion. I don't agree with every complaint, and I don't agree that it's okay for anyone to be intentionally horrible.

Is what I'm saying really all that far out?
Actually, yes, it's "far out," because your entire second paragraph is making excuses for some people doing things that this entire thread is focused on calling out.

You can go on and on all you want about "calling out behaviors rather than individuals," but this thread has been directly attacking people, insinuating insulting motives, and implying characterological defects. Do you really not see the irony of this occurring in the same thread that is lambasting people for their tone turning off other people from participating or properly receiving advice?

And what is this all in response to? Snarkiness? Sarcasm? Losing patience for the nth time of applicants seek confirmation of their a priori decisions instead of asking genuine questions? You all might have a point if the people you were criticizing were doing a fraction of what has happened in this thread.

I was actually in agreement with Wis at first, but really thinking back how it felt when I considered leaving my career to move across the country and go back to school...it was really intimidating. SDN Psych wasn’t around when I was an applicant (I wish!), but I can see how it could be intimidating.

• Love
Given this thread’s evolution, my current, more concrete questions are these:

Does it bother people here that multiple women say that they do not post anymore because of the aforementioned aggressive behavior?

Does it bother people here to know that I’m getting PMs from women who are intimidated to weigh in on this thread?

Does it bother people here that applicants and graduate students are missing out on the voices of female psychologists that they might relate to?

I welcome other people’s related questions that are also posed in good faith.

Yes x3

All I will say is op could have formatted this thread to be of benefit to the forum. It quickly turned into a bashing fest

Agreed, the original post seemed aggressive in itself with a generalized abrasiveness towards an entire gender, rather than being a true conversation starter. It could have been worded better.

In reality, I did my best to thoughtfully state my point of view. I said I was open to different points of view and welcomed feedback. The thing that seems to have struck a nerve was my request to hear from female-identified people first. Not *only,* but *first.*

Speaking for myself, what struck me was not who you wanted to hear from, but what your message was.

I like how the same behavior is interpreted differently based on its congruence with one's own position. Snarkiness and sarcasm are ok when some people use them, but it's considered aggressive or problematic when coming from someone with whom you disagree.

Similarly, males who agree with you are the good ones and their opinions are valid, while those who disagree are being aggressive and shouldn't reply.

Agreed.

A serious question- Do you think, with some people, it has nothing to do with their gender, sex, power status, etc., and maybe it’s just that they are good old fashioned jerks? Parsimony is a good thing in any debate. Sometimes an a**hole is just an a**hole!

A good chunk of the variance I would guess.

OP, I am sorry you do not feel welcome.

It looks like part of what you are looking for may be better found on a professional listserv or SDN group chat with people doing the same work. Part of SDN is the community aspect you mentioned. I enjoy coming here for the conversation, debate, and witty banter, just as much as to discuss research and clinical work. Do I always feel welcome? No. Do I feel intimidated at times? Yes. Is that okay? Absolutely. I have grown in many ways personally and professionally from this board over the years, even as a lurker back in grad school. I think that the culture of our community will continue to evolve but calling people out, dare I say, aggressively, and directly, may not be the best approach.

I was actually in agreement with Wis at first, but really thinking back how it felt when I considered leaving my career to move across the country and go back to school...it was really intimidating. SDN Psych wasn’t around when I was an applicant (I wish!), but I can see how it could be intimidating.
So intimidating! I’m a first-generation college student from a completely unsupportive family and it took me a decade to finish undergrad while working full-time. I had never even heard of the concept of a funded program until a friend of mine got into a funded program in the arts and I was like, “umm does that exist for psychology too?” And she said, “yeah, I’m sure,” like I must be an idiot not to know that. I’m so grateful I ever had that conversation. She’s the one who encouraged me to look online for an information forum, and I found SDN. From reading the forum, I learned that I needed to get hands-on research experience to be considered for a funded position, so I did about 10-15 hours per week of volunteer research and another 4 hours doing clinical work for a year while studying for the GRE. I am extremely grateful for the valuable information I got here. But, because I already had a sense that I didn’t belong (old, not from an educated family, not from a good undergrad, etc), the lack of common kindness and level of sarcasm from the people I imagined to be in a position I wanted so badly and worried I would never achieve - I almost gave up. The potential level of disruption to my marriage, asking my partner to move, change jobs, leave all family and friends behind, maybe never to return... The stress of the decisions facing the people coming here asking our advice is intense. We are all so lucky, those of us who are established in our careers.

So, personally, I don’t care when young, stressed out and insecure people freak out on here. It’s unpleasant, but it’s like a four-year-old having a tantrum: a wise person doesn’t take this personally.

I have a harder time when those of us who are on the other side are rude. Our words are more powerful, because we are established and esteemed.

• Love
I have a harder time when those of us who are on the other side are rude. Our words are more powerful, because we are established and esteemed.

This has been discussed before and my view on it has always been you get what you pay for. I tend to be snarkier on here because it is more of my personality. I censor myself at work and this is not work.

I also challenge the assumption that we are all here to primarily help and encourage the students. I may do so, but that is me volunteering my time and effort to do so. If I opt to be more snarky, then that is what you get that day. The benefit of being a member of a free community and not a mod. If someone wants to pay me to be a mentor on here, I am happy to treat it like I do my job.

This has been discussed before and my view on it has always been you get what you pay for. I tend to be snarkier on here because it is more of my personality. I censor myself at work and this is not work.

I also challenge the assumption that we are all here to primarily help and encourage the students. I may do so, but that is me volunteering my time and effort to do so. If I opt to be more snarky, then that is what you get that day. The benefit of being a member of a free community and not a mod. If someone wants to pay me to be a mentor on here, I am happy to treat it like I do my job.
That is such an interesting perspective. Even though I supervise and teach interns, I miss teaching full classes. For me, this site is a way to be connected beyond the forensic subcategory of the field, and to fill my desire to continue mentoring people at the undergrad level, in whatever small way I can. I’m very curious to know what you like about responding to student questions here if you don’t value volunteering as a mentor for the sake of it?

So intimidating! I’m a first-generation college student from a completely unsupportive family and it took me a decade to finish undergrad while working full-time. I had never even heard of the concept of a funded program until a friend of mine got into a funded program in the arts and I was like, “umm does that exist for psychology too?” And she said, “yeah, I’m sure,” like I must be an idiot not to know that. I’m so grateful I ever had that conversation. She’s the one who encouraged me to look online for an information forum, and I found SDN. From reading the forum, I learned that I needed to get hands-on research experience to be considered for a funded position, so I did about 10-15 hours per week of volunteer research and another 4 hours doing clinical work for a year while studying for the GRE. I am extremely grateful for the valuable information I got here. But, because I already had a sense that I didn’t belong (old, not from an educated family, not from a good undergrad, etc), the lack of common kindness and level of sarcasm from the people I imagined to be in a position I wanted so badly and worried I would never achieve - I almost gave up. The potential level of disruption to my marriage, asking my partner to move, change jobs, leave all family and friends behind, maybe never to return... The stress of the decisions facing the people coming here asking our advice is intense. We are all so lucky, those of us who are established in our careers.

So, personally, I don’t care when young, stressed out and insecure people freak out on here. It’s unpleasant, but it’s like a four-year-old having a tantrum: a wise person doesn’t take this personally.

Again, the problem is that this is not being uniformly applied here. I've not seen one of you call out ClinicalABA or anyone else for posts like these:

For what it's worth, I identify (at least currently) as a cis-male. I lean very far left socially and politically, I'm not really sure how to define the collective "here" in response to the OP, but personally I do welcome disparate points of view, as it challenges me to strengthen or revise my own positions. I recognize that, having rather extreme views myself, the views of most others are likely to be more to the right than mine (regression to the mean and all that).

I do, however, find that some of the regular posters are consistently a little "d**kish" or histrionic, and it gets a little boring when their posts (even when, as is usually the case, they contain accurate info or valuable opinions) consistently lead to full-derailment (some slight movement to side tracks is expected and helpful, though). Whatever- it's a sort of anonymous internet forum, and for all I know you could all be Russian-Bots. Whenever I post something potentially de-railing, I do try to throw in something related specifically to the OP.

While I do not take things here personally, I do recognize that the luxury of being able to do so is probably, at least somewhat, related to my history of interacting with the world as a male from the historically dominant and power-holding culture. I, for one, welcome others reminding me of the biases I may have a result.

When has anyone who has been directly or indirectly attacked in this thread said anything on par with calling them "dickish" or "histrionic?"

I'd argue that this is not "tone," being intimidating, etc., it's the selective enforcement of standards to those with whom we disagree. Someone is an ally, so it's ok for them to attack the people we are othering, because we're on the right side.

Yes x3

Agreed, the original post seemed aggressive in itself with a generalized abrasiveness towards an entire gender, rather than being a true conversation starter. It could have been worded better.

Speaking for myself, what struck me was not who you wanted to hear from, but what your message was.

Agreed.

A good chunk of the variance I would guess.

OP, I am sorry you do not feel welcome.

It looks like part of what you are looking for may be better found on a professional listserv or SDN group chat with people doing the same work. Part of SDN is the community aspect you mentioned. I enjoy coming here for the conversation, debate, and witty banter, just as much as to discuss research and clinical work. Do I always feel welcome? No. Do I feel intimidated at times? Yes. Is that okay? Absolutely. I have grown in many ways personally and professionally from this board over the years, even as a lurker back in grad school. I think that the culture of our community will continue to evolve but calling people out, dare I say, aggressively, and directly, may not be the best approach.

I appreciate your triple-yes to my questions, as not many have responded at all. The absence of response is kinda wild. Perhaps it’s my “fault” because I’m a somewhat polarizing figure here. I guess it’s radical to say this truth out loud: I am a woman who genuinely does not care if men think I’m a bitch when I raise my concerns. But jeez, really? It’s more fun to snipe and try to dunk on me/other women and to sarcastically perform for each other.

I am not clear (but am interested) in why you perceive my OP as “aggressive” and “abrasive” when I literally said, lots of guys here rule! But some of the behaviors by some of you are really upsetting!

I do not appreciate your (and others’) suggestion that I should essentially go somewhere else if I want to contribute as I do. Based in part on my lived experience that I have been generous in (and somewhat punished for) sharing, I obviously find meaning in trying to help make communal spaces into safer and healthier places for women (in particular) to thrive.

You originally asked how I could gauge gender the way I do. It’s really not difficult, but then again, it’s a hidden curriculum that you may not have studied. And that’s ok. I wish I weren’t so fluent in it myself.

Feel free to discount my opinion because I'm a newbie and just a student.

OP, while I can understand your concerns and see where you are coming from, I found this forum while considering pursuing graduate school a couple years ago and many times appreciated the blunt opinions that were offered. They gave me a lot to think about and often served as a rude awakening as to what was expected. Additionally, I believe in having discussions with people whose opinions differ from mine. If we perceive their personality or tone as potentially snarky or condescending, it should not automatically shut us out from speaking. I know it does not for me. I don't know if SDN could ever be a space where you can monitor everyone's tone, but I do believe we have a right to voice our thoughts and opinions even if the responses may hurt our feelings.

Not that I believe this is a power dynamic issue, but hypothetically speaking, even if I believed it was, why would we as women conform to that and not let our voices be heard? We should keep on speaking out, no matter the response.

Reactions: 3 users
I understand the frustration, but I'd say from years of modding this forum, we honestly don't favor certain posters (hell, I've modded one of my best friends), and reports are also reviewed from people from other areas of SDN. Again, if you see something that you think needs to be modded, please report it.

My program had this horrible thing where they put the entire cohort into a group, forced them to talk about stimulus value, power, and privilege. This was late 2000's, before everyone got woke. Each one of these "classes" turned into white, cis, able-bodied, Christian, hetero, male bashing. Whenever anyone ever brought up empiricism, or lack therof in the discussions, it was used as evidence of oppression. At it's core, it was a really great way at identifying people likely suffering from characterological deficits in the cohort. I say all this to say...I've always loved how this forum has never turned into that.

Question posed in good faith: do you see these subjects as irrelevant? Or did it have more to do with a perhaps unskillful execution of the discussion?

I do see this as another data point that stimulus value, power, and privilege are not welcome subjects on this board. And that to me is a bummer. I went to grad school around the same time as you, and my impression was that it was not a one-off “horrible thing” but actually a critical, long-term aspect of our curriculum so we could be as effective as possible with our disadvantaged patients.

That is such an interesting perspective. Even though I supervise and teach interns, I miss teaching full classes. For me, this site is a way to be connected beyond the forensic subcategory of the field, and to fill my desire to continue mentoring people at the undergrad level, in whatever small way I can. I’m very curious to know what you like about responding to student questions here if you don’t value volunteering as a mentor for the sake of it?

It isn't that I don't enjoy mentoring, I do. That is why I teach interns/post-docs and mentor two early career colleagues formally and others informally. However, my priority on this forum is interacting with colleagues and having fun as I have a fairly isolating gig as the only psychologist at my immediate facility. Helping people is more incidental and I don't put the same level of thought into responses here as I might teaching didactics.

On the flip side, I am more honest here. I might not mention to a real life colleague or mentee that their choice to go into deep debt was a poor one or question the quality of the education they received even if I did think it. Similarly, I might not question an early career professional that is jumping into an area of the field I feel has a poor future or mention that I am looking for better paying unrelated work myself.

I appreciate your triple-yes to my questions, as not many have responded at all. The absence of response is kinda wild. Perhaps it’s my “fault” because I’m a somewhat polarizing figure here. I guess it’s radical to say this truth out loud: I am a woman who genuinely does not care if men think I’m a bitch when I raise my concerns. But jeez, really? It’s more fun to snipe and try to dunk on me/other women and to sarcastically perform for each other.

I am not clear (but am interested) in why you perceive my OP as “aggressive” and “abrasive” when I literally said, lots of guys here rule! But some of the behaviors by some of you are really upsetting!

I do not appreciate your (and others’) suggestion that I should essentially go somewhere else if I want to contribute as I do. Based in part on my lived experience that I have been generous in (and somewhat punished for) sharing, I obviously find meaning in trying to help make communal spaces into safer and healthier places for women (in particular) to thrive.

You originally asked how I could gauge gender the way I do. It’s really not difficult, but then again, it’s a hidden curriculum that you may not have studied. And that’s ok. I wish I weren’t so fluent in it myself.
There are women on here who are extremely rude too. And I think saying that you wanted only one group to respond initially (women) is not the best way to be inclusive. I think I understand where your intentions were, but surely you must realize that saying you don’t care if an entire gender thinks you’re a bitch is antagonistic? At the very least it comes across like, “knives-out!” I appreciate the conversation starter. I also think you can work on ways to enhance being heard - your post required a number of clarifications and was definitely polarizing. Honestly I didn’t spend a lot of time digesting posts until about halfway in on the first page, and ignored the early stuff. It was kind pretty full-on, tbh, and I wasn’t gonna engage until it got calmer.

I think we all can benefit from self-reflection. There are responses at times that make me cringe, some (but not all) of which appear reactionary to other comments. Although by that same measure, I will then sometimes see subsequent posts that strike an entirely different "tone" and cause me to think I misinterpreted the original post. This is, certainly, pitfall of online and text-only communication. But if there are entire groups/swaths of individuals who feel uncomfortable posting, that is helpful information.

To respond to the questions stated above, my answer to all 3 is yes, and I would be interested in gathering more information as to why/how.

I also second future's response that I believe my participation in this forum has fostered my professional growth.

I am willing to help with any such effort. If I get consent from the women who have messaged me privately, I can share the themes, and also try to lend constructive help in other respects.

My working hypothesis: the problem is injury by a thousand cuts, not blatant violations of the TOS. Others have been widely mocked for bringing up the concept of micro-aggressions, so while I hesitate to do so for that reason (so meta), I think it’s a good analogue.

1) You're very welcome. I am surprised too.

2) The post below by StellaB does a good job putting words to my thoughts about the OP. Antagonistic is a good word. Not a bad thing, but it can evoke an associated response.

There are women on here who are extremely rude too. And I think saying that you wanted only one group to respond initially (women) is not the best way to be inclusive. I think I understand where your intentions were, but surely you must realize that saying you don’t care if an entire gender thinks you’re a bitch is antagonistic? At the very least it comes across like, “knives-out!” I appreciate the conversation starter. I also think you can work on ways to enhance being heard - your post required a number of clarifications and was definitely polarizing. Honestly I didn’t spend a lot of time digesting posts until about halfway in on the first page, and ignored the early stuff. It was kind pretty full-on, tbh, and I wasn’t gonna engage until it got calmer.

3) If you don't appreciate my suggestion that's fine. It was my opinion on how you may find what you were looking for. You are welcome to not take it. I was just trying to help.

4) "It’s really not difficult" is not an answer and I think reinforces the importance of my first reply to this thread. Are you making assumptions? I don't know how accurate those are.

5) To challenge another one of you assumptions: "it’s a hidden curriculum that you may not have studied. And that’s ok. I wish I weren’t so fluent in it myself." Although not my primary area of work, I've actually spent what I would think is more time in this area than most psychologists, conducting research, presenting locally and nationally, and engaging in direct clinical care re: gender. Many of the themes of this thread included, but for anonymity that is where I will leave it.

Feel free to discount my opinion because I'm a newbie and just a student.

OP, while I can understand your concerns and see where you are coming from, I found this forum while considering pursuing graduate school a couple years ago and many times appreciated the blunt opinions that were offered. They gave me a lot to think about and often served as a rude awakening as to what was expected. Additionally, I believe in having discussions with people whose opinions differ from mine. If we perceive their personality or tone as potentially snarky or condescending, it should not automatically shut us out from speaking. I know it does not for me. I don't know if SDN could ever be a space where you can monitor everyone's tone, but I do believe we have a right to voice our thoughts and opinions even if the responses may hurt our feelings.

Not that I believe this is a power dynamic issue, but hypothetically speaking, even if I believed it was, why would we as women conform to that and not let our voices be heard? We should keep on speaking out, no matter the response.

Thank you for speaking up!

I think this may be a YMMV issue, but who knows. As for me, I am quite focused right now on making principled decisions about where I spend my time online. I don’t value echo chambers, but I like communities in which I feel generally respected. This does not seem like a very high bar to me.

Upon reflection, I came to realize that I tend to approach this community warily and often leave a conversation feeling torn down versus expanded. Again, my goals may be different from those who enjoy gloves-off, hand-to- hand combat and fierce debate. I would like to add that such a dynamic is not value- or gender-neutral.

I am speaking up because I would like to help make this community better. If I don’t perceive that I’m having an overall positive effect, I am happy to go.

We can probably all agree that being “inclusive” was not my primary objective in my OP. (Ugh, negative female points)

I am simply being honest that I am at total peace with the fact that my stimulus value is “ugh, what a bitch, she makes me feel uncomfortable” to a reliable segment of the male *and sometimes female!* population. (Ugh, more negative female points)

I hear your feedback on “enhancing being heard,” and I have actually worked on this. I think on this forum I have improved in this area over time. I can always try to do better. And yet! I am sometimes deliberately provocative because it is an effective technique to stimulate vivid dialogue about stuff that I care about that often gets discounted otherwise. (Ugh, more negative female points)

You and I are peers who don’t always agree on stuff. That is fine.

Last edited:
1) You're very welcome. I am surprised too.

2) The post below by StellaB does a good job putting words to my thoughts about the OP. Antagonistic is a good word. Not a bad thing, but it can evoke an associated response.

3) If you don't appreciate my suggestion that's fine. It was my opinion on how you may find what you were looking for. You are welcome to not take it. I was just trying to help.

4) "It’s really not difficult" is not an answer and I think reinforces the importance of my first reply to this thread. Are you making assumptions? I don't know how accurate those are.

5) To challenge another one of you assumptions: "it’s a hidden curriculum that you may not have studied. And that’s ok. I wish I weren’t so fluent in it myself." Although not my primary area of work, I've actually spent what I would think is more time in this area than most psychologists, conducting research, presenting locally and nationally, and engaging in direct clinical care re: gender. Many of the themes of this thread included, but for anonymity that is where I will leave it.

Thank you for this. I am reflecting on your points and my own assumptions.

We can probably all agree that being “inclusive” was not my primary objective in my OP. (Ugh, negative female points)

I am simply being honest that I am at total peace with the fact that my stimulus value is “ugh, what a bitch, she makes me feel uncomfortable” to a reliable segment of the male population. (Ugh, more negative female points)

I hear your feedback on “enhancing being heard,” and I have actually worked on this. I think on this forum I have improved in this area over time. I can always try to do better. And yet! I am sometimes deliberately provocative because it is an effective technique to stimulate vivid dialogue about **** that I care about that often gets discounted otherwise. (Ugh, more negative female points)

You and I are peers who don’t always agree on stuff. That is fine.
Just so we're clear, you get to be "deliberately provocative," but people with whom you disagree, especially if they are male, are somehow not allowed to do the same, because it's considered "sniping," "dunking on you," etc?

When has anyone who has been directly or indirectly attacked in this thread said anything on par with calling them "dickish" or "histrionic?"
I’ve not been called out on the “d**ckish” comment, but have- at least indirectly- been called out on the “histrionic”

Those comments also were not directed at a first time poster, or a 19 year old who is not sure what to do, or a single parent asking for advice about making a career change. They were directed at people who have been around awhile and have also said things along the lines of “I don’t care what you think or what you say about me.”

My big concern with all this is that people may actually be more likely to make bad decisions because of the way they are told not to make those decisions. For many posters, the truth (i.e., your career goals are unrealistic, too expensive, etc) hurts- making it hurt more with the method of delivery a) seems a little cruel, and most importantly b) may actually lead to people ignoring or discounting the truth because of the way it was delivered. Note that I feel this applies to both sides of the current argument.

Last edited:
It’s *my* point, and this exchange is already illuminating.

Do you identify as a woman, @psych.meout ?

To re-up my request:

For as long as it takes to hear from 10 people who openly identify as women about their perspective on the topics I raised, I do not want to hear a single man AT ALL.

Feel free to call the manager to complain.
Or we could just tell you that’s a weirdly discriminatory request. No manager needed, we’re all (assumedly) adults and can speak to each other

Reactions: 5 users
@msgeorgeeliot,

There are a lot of people on this thread that continue to expect/demand you contort yourself. Rephrase your comments and questions! Make them more palatable! How dare you attempt to provide a space for female voices first?

Is it really so difficult/offensive that men on this forum read and reflect on women’s experiences before jumping in with their own?

Many posters are denying that the behavior patterns here are problematic, denying that they have anything to do with toxic masculinity, and telling the OP that the conversation should not exist or only exist in pm.

This is why posters leave this forum. Their experiences are minimized and invalidated before they even have a chance to share them.

My own experience has been that it is not worth wading through the **** of mocking, bullying, and toxic masculinity to get “advice”. The advice here isn’t particularly unique. There are many other ways to get support, mentorship, and guidance in this field without subjecting yourself to becoming troll fuel. There are posters here that get their kicks from criticizing and mocking students and early career psychologists. They show up on most threads, regardless of content. When their behavior is called out, they minimize it, refuse responsibility, claim it is “tough love”, whatever.

• Love
This could be a problem. Many posters/lurkers/first time readers here are students (including undergrads) at a rather confusing and vulnerable point in there lives (at leas I think that’s the safest assumption to make). Also- I think in some cases we more senior members are in the role of salespeople for the field. While I try to respectful and thoughtful in “real life” (through some trial and error I’ve realized that my life is easier and nicer when I’m nicer to others- even those I don’t particularly care for) I’m probably a little nicer on here. You can be truthful, assertive, and- most importantly- effective, while still being kind.
I could probably go out of my way and spend substantially more time to sugar coat things. I probably wont. I try to be helpful. I try to be reasonable. I try to advocate and represent myself, this profession, etc well. I do that here and in person in the same way. This is volunteer advice so I'm willing to give what you see. From a consumer perspective, you get what you pay for. And in some ways, it's important people get blunt non judgmental advice to avoid potential misinterpretations. I am not intentionally provocative or anything, so I really dont find a convincing reason or need for me to 'do more'.

@msgeorgeeliot,

There are a lot of people on this thread that continue to expect/demand you contort yourself. Rephrase your comments and questions! Make them more palatable! How dare you attempt to provide a space for female voices first?

Is it really so difficult/offensive that men on this forum read and reflect on women’s experiences before jumping in with their own?

Many posters are denying that the behavior patterns here are problematic, denying that they have anything to do with toxic masculinity, and telling the OP that the conversation should not exist or only exist in pm.

This is why posters leave this forum. Their experiences are minimized and invalidated before they even have a chance to share them.

My own experience has been that it is not worth wading through the **** of mocking, bullying, and toxic masculinity to get “advice”. The advice here isn’t particularly unique. There are many other ways to get support, mentorship, and guidance in this field without subjecting yourself to becoming troll fuel. There are posters here that get their kicks from criticizing and mocking students and early career psychologists. They show up on most threads, regardless of content. When their behavior is called out, they minimize it, refuse responsibility, claim it is “tough love”, whatever.
it's always interesting when, despite knowing the flaws of doing so, psychologists and those with graduate training infer motives of others casually.

The literature has consistently shown both genders engage in verbal and relational aggression at equivalent rates.

I think this thread shows there may be a qualitative difference.