So intimidating! I’m a first-generation college student from a completely unsupportive family and it took me a decade to finish undergrad while working full-time. I had never even heard of the concept of a funded program until a friend of mine got into a funded program in the arts and I was like, “umm does that exist for psychology too?” And she said, “yeah, I’m sure,” like I must be an idiot not to know that. I’m so grateful I ever had that conversation. She’s the one who encouraged me to look online for an information forum, and I found SDN. From reading the forum, I learned that I needed to get hands-on research experience to be considered for a funded position, so I did about 10-15 hours per week of volunteer research and another 4 hours doing clinical work for a year while studying for the GRE. I am extremely grateful for the valuable information I got here. But, because I already had a sense that I didn’t belong (old, not from an educated family, not from a good undergrad, etc), the lack of common kindness and level of sarcasm from the people I imagined to be in a position I wanted so badly and worried I would never achieve - I almost gave up. The potential level of disruption to my marriage, asking my partner to move, change jobs, leave all family and friends behind, maybe never to return... The stress of the decisions facing the people coming here asking our advice is intense. We are all so lucky, those of us who are established in our careers.
So, personally, I don’t care when young, stressed out and insecure people freak out on here. It’s unpleasant, but it’s like a four-year-old having a tantrum: a wise person doesn’t take this personally.
I have a harder time when those of us who are on the other side are rude. Our words are more powerful, because we are established and esteemed.