Which prep course to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gucci2513

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I would appreciate if anyone can give me their opinion of these prep courses for the MCATs: TPR, Kaplan, Exankrackers, and Barrons

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I would appreciate if anyone can give me their opinion of these prep courses for the MCATs: TPR, Kaplan, Exankrackers, and Barrons

Berkeley Review MCAT prep is hands down the best source. DO A SEARCH in the MCAT prep forum and you see get prob a million different posts about how awesome it is!

Use their books for Physics, Chemistry, and Organic chemistry. There are two books for each topic so you will get 6 books total. Read every chapter and do all the practice passages and questions after every chapter...THIS IS A MUST.

Any kind of Biology book from either Kaplan, Princeton, etc will suffice. But no one does teaches and explains MCAT Physics, Chem, and Organic Chem better then The Berkeley Review (TBR).

http://www.berkeley-review.com/

For Verbal reasoning practice I suggest you purchase ExamKracker's 101 verbal passages - CBT format textbook. Also try and get Princeton Review's Verbal workbook as well. Then do all the AAMC practice test verbal reasoning sections.

These are the best books for each section of the test. Go to the MCAT forum on Student Doc network and you will be convinced of this!

Good Luck!

I took Kaplan and was happy with the structure of the course, the materials they offered, and the results. Would I recommend it to others?: definitely.

I would imagine that with whatever MCAT prep-course you choose to take that the effort you put in will ultimately dictate the results that come out. That being said, I absolutely could have put more effort into my MCAT preparation or re-arranged some priorities and probably have scored a bit higher.

Again, I think a lot of it revolves around your effort and committement. The fact you are going to take a prep-course (any of them) puts you farther ahead of those people who choose to wing it and study solo.

IMO, Kaplan was a huge waste of time and money. I didn't feel like I got anything out of the course at all. The books were decent but the course is a waste of cash. If I were going to do it all again I'd just buy the Examkrackers stuff and buy all of the practice tests from AAMC.