This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Conflicted_premed

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I hope everyone is having a great day. I am currently a pre-med and have been doing research in Genetics at my college which I enjoy so I applied to some REUs to learn more and hopefully in the future pursue a PhD after getting an MD. Got into two:
University of Georgia-Department of Genetics (in evolutionary genetics)
Cornell University-Boyce Thompson Institute (in plant genetics)

I would enjoy both but my question is.. would it harm my application to medical school to do research in something not medical related like plants? Which one would be a better option?
 
i did my undergrad research in dirt, lol. Pick the one that interests you more/offers better mentorship. Genetics is easy enough to spin towards medicine regardless of what genes you're studying

on a separate note, I do recommend looking into the MD/PhD career path a bit - a combined MD/PhD program would save you a lot of time compared to doing one after the other like you've described