Which school is pass/failed based?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shengx12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know which dental school is Pass/fail based grading system? Specificly Uconn, Michigan and Texas Threes?

Members don't see this ad.

shengx12 said:
anyone know which dental school is Pass/fail based grading system? Specificly Uconn and Michigan.

Columbia is Pass/Fail/Honors

sorry if i sound oblivious, but could you explain what this entails pertaining to transcript and grades/student ranking wise? does that make any sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
hpets said:
sorry if i sound oblivious, but could you explain what this entails pertaining to transcript and grades/student ranking wise? does that make any sense?

In the case of Columbia, I believe the more honors you get, the higher the rank. Also, if you're applying to specialty, class ranking may be reflected in the letters of recommendation, one of which is normally from the dean of the school. So, if you're high up on the rankings, the dean would obviously mention that in the LOR.
IMO, Pass/Fail is a good system because it promotes a more friendly environment with much less stressful competition involved. For ex, students will tend to trade notes and old exams as well as work together in a Pass/Fail system while in a traditional grading system, students may tend to attempt to work alone because they want to earn the highest grade possible. That is counterproductive in many cases and hurts the overall atmosphere in the school.

shengx12 said:
anyone know which dental school is Pass/fail based grading system? Specificly Uconn, Michigan and Texas Threes?

Not Michigan

shengx12 said:

Harvard is P/F