Which Schools for Physiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtrain5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I was wondering if any of you have heard what the best schools are if you are interested in physiatry. I love rehab medicine, and truly have a passion for the muscloskeletal system. Any info. is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It really shouldn't matter what school you attend, but I would guess that the schools w/ great programs close to them would be a good choice for ease of scheduling away rotations....ie PCOM w/ Temple/Jeff/Upenn and the NJ programs ( Kessler, etc) not too far away. I would assume they know the general rep of our students and are familiar w/ them from rotations. If you don't mind travelling for away rotations then any school you would be happy at should work just as well.

PM&R isnt a terribly competitive specialty, although it has been more popular the last few years.

I say look for a school that offers you the ability to do rotations at the programs you are interested in. A lot of PCOMers rotate, apply and are eventually accepted to the big Philadelphia programs...Penn, Jefferson and Temple.

Wherever you go do well in your classes and score some nice rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
DMU has also had students place into fairly competitive residencies in PM&R. One of our OMM fellows placed at Mayo this year. Some of the PDs actually seem to appreciate those applicants w/ a DO background b/c of our obvious training in the musculoskeletal system.

My advice would be to consider those programs w/ stronger OMM departments that have been around for awhile especially DMU & PCOM. Check out match lists too.

Krazykritter said:
DMU has also had students place into fairly competitive residencies in PM&R. One of our OMM fellows placed at Mayo this year. Some of the PDs actually seem to appreciate those applicants w/ a DO background b/c of our obvious training in the musculoskeletal system.

My advice would be to consider those programs w/ stronger OMM departments that have been around for awhile especially DMU & PCOM. Check out match lists too.
DO's are actually OVER-represented in PM&R.....we only make up around 5-6% of US physicians, but are around 15% of the PM&R docs. Check out the thread in the PM&R forum on this site about this years matches....DO's are heavily represented.

Taus said:
DO's are actually OVER-represented in PM&R.....we only make up around 5-6% of US physicians, but are around 15% of the PM&R docs. Check out the thread in the PM&R forum on this site about this years matches....DO's are heavily represented.

Would you please define over represented. Over represented in relation to what? Other specialties?

dtrain5 said:
Would you please define over represented. Over represented in relation to what? Other specialties?
PROPORTIONALLY they are, of course in in sheer numbers they are not. 5-6% of all Docs are DOs, but around 15% of PM&R docs are DOs. If a specialty has 5% DO's in it, then DO's are represented proportionally just as much as MD's. If only 1% of all Docs in a certain specialty are DO's, that is under-representation.

My mom is currently in a psychology doctorate program with Adelphi University on Long Island and is doing an externship at North Shore Hospital LIJ and said there were quite a number of DO PM&R residents and I wouldn't be surprised if the the majority of them went to NYCOM. On side note this really helped prove to my parents that DOs are real doctors.

dtrain5 said:
Hello All,

I was wondering if any of you have heard what the best schools are if you are interested in physiatry. I love rehab medicine, and truly have a passion for the muscloskeletal system. Any info. is much appreciated!

I would recommend attending an AOA-accredited osteopathic medical school if you have interest in the musculoskeletal system.

The only AOA schools that have PM&R residencies include NY-COM and MSU-COM.

Since you will likely be applying to ACGME residencies (unless you plan on doing an OMM/NMM residency) then it shouldn't matter what school you attend. I typically would consider a school based on the residency programs it has available. This translates to better clinical years and improved chances at matching within the institution.

(There are OMM/NMM residencies in CA, IN, ME, MI, MO, NY, OH, OK, PA, and TX.)

PM&R = Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation

OMM/NMM = Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine and Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine

Gmw1386 said:
My mom is currently in a psychology doctorate program with Adelphi University on Long Island and is doing an externship at North Shore Hospital LIJ and said there were quite a number of DO PM&R residents and I wouldn't be surprised if the the majority of them went to NYCOM. On side note this really helped prove to my parents that DOs are real doctors.

The chief of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation for Baylor Health in Dallas is a DO from OSU-COM. She is the first DO that Baylor Medical Center accepted for a residency in any specialty.

Now it is a common practice.

The school you attend shouldn't matter too much. NSU-COM's Chair of PM&R (Dr. Tolchin) is EXTREMELY well known in physiatry circles and is now the Chief of PM&R at Jackson Memorial Hospital (teaching hospital for the University of Miami). Even if you didn't meet him as an NSU-COM student, I'd still recommend doing an elective rotation with him. A fourth-year recently told us Dr. Tolchin knows "someone, everywhere" and has gotten many people into PM&R residencies. Good luck!

The school you attend shouldn't matter too much. NSU-COM's Chair of PM&R (Dr. Tolchin) is EXTREMELY well known in physiatry circles and is now the Chief of PM&R at Jackson Memorial Hospital (teaching hospital for the University of Miami). Even if you didn't meet him as an NSU-COM student, I'd still recommend doing an elective rotation with him. A fourth-year recently told us Dr. Tolchin knows "someone, everywhere" and has gotten many people into PM&R residencies. Good luck!

Not sure what this "Chair" thing means, but doesn't it involve a Dept? tIs this Dept still in existence? I found Dr. Tolchin listed as in the OP&P Dept. I'm interested in PM&R, and was hoping that it was still around. The Dept, or whatever, that is.

Hello All,

I know at DMU they have recently had a couple PM&R matches at Mayo clinic.