Which schools have January Start Dates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

animaldoc1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have once again been shot down by every school.
So no school wants me for August. Does anyone know any schools both American and abroad that can still accept people for January? I want to know my options.
I dont care where it is as long as I can still apply for January.
Heck I would even apply for this August but it seems a bit too late for that.

Members don't see this ad.

So no school wants me for August. Does anyone know any schools both American and abroad that can still accept people for January? I want to know my options.

I can see from your history that you're pretty anti-Caribbean-schools but to my knowledge SGU and Ross are the only schools that offer January acceptances.

I really do not want to go to Ross and SGU is not interested in me so I dont think it is likely I am going to have a shot with that. I really wish there were more options.

Members don't see this ad :)
i believe St. Matthews also does a January start date

That school is far too similar to Ross and is not accredited. I am at least picky in that regard. I dont want to go to a profit based school like Ross.

In 2011 you posted about "no longer continuing veterinary school"... what is that about? Did you start somewhere and stop?

Pretty much only SGU/SMU/Ross have January starts, I believe. You might have to get a little less picky.

Yeah you said in previous posts that you had personally experienced Ross. We're you a student there?

Edit: you are also currently listed as a veterinary student.

That school is far too similar to Ross and is not accredited. I am at least picky in that regard. I dont want to go to a profit based school like Ross.

You asked for options... it sounds like you need to sit down with yourself and really think through what you want and what you're doing because i think the statements in your 2 posts kind of contradict each other.

i think it's great you recognize that you dont want a caribbean school (for whatever personal reasons) because from time to time we get students that are totally against the idea but desperate and come anyway and then are completely miserable. sometimes they get to transfer, sometimes they drop out after wasting the money, and sometimes they're just stuck hating the island and life for 3 years

Have you looked at the other international schools? I believe the Australian schools often start in February - at least their undergrad years did.

Is there any reason why you can't just wait a year and apply for August enrollment during the next application cycle? While I understand the desire to get into vet school asap, saying that you've been shot down "once again" implies that your application could use some improvement. Maybe getting some constructive criticism on your application - either from the schools themselves or in the "What Are My Chances?" thread here - and taking some time to work on the areas that need improvement would be more beneficial to you than rushing to apply for a January start date at schools you probably aren't even interested in.

Like jmo, I'm also curious to know your story. I've seen you posting in the Ross thread, and by the sound of it you went to school there and then dropped out (but please correct me if I'm wrong). If that's the case, I think it's highly unlikely you will find another vet school that will accept you. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's the reality.

Your options are to be more realistic. If you've "once again" been shot down by "every school" (implying at least more than one application), then your best option is to talk to the schools, find out what deficiencies they are identifying, and take corrective action over the next year. Just continuing to plow ahead like a boat that can't get on plane isn't going to do much for you, which is essentially what you'd be doing if you applied to start in January somewhere.

Fix the problem. Don't try and get around it.

Found on the "what are my chances" thread:

"Name: Avi
Major: Business and Economics
Minor: Sociology
G.P.A. Cumulative: 2.985
G.P.A. Required Courses: 2.544
G.P.A. Last 45 Credit Hours: 2.544
GRE:
Verbal: 530
Quantitative: 770
Analytical: 3.5
Hours Under D.V.M.
Vet Experience: over 1000 Hours Small Animal Practice as an assistant"

Have you changed you stats since 2012? Bumped up your GPA? Done any large animal? Any of the accredited schools will be looking for those things regardless of their start date. If you don't get in, you have to change something.

G.P.A. Cumulative: 2.985
G.P.A. Required Courses: 2.544
G.P.A. Last 45 Credit Hours: 2.544

Oh. Well then, I stand by what I said. I have a tough time seeing any school accepting someone with those GPAs. I know that people get in with sub-3.0, but it's probably especially bad to have an even lower GPA in your most recent classes, and 2.5 is just not going to get you in anywhere, I'd think.

Is it?

You are probably not going to like what I have to say, but I think you need to hear it.

You have posted numerous times about how you "don't want to wait" "that is too long" "I don't want to do that". Unfortunately, that is not how life works. You will have to wait, you don't have a choice. If you do not want to go to any of the schools that have January start dates that have already been mentioned then you will have to wait until the next application cycle begins and will then have to start school in the fall, there are NO US schools that have start dates in January.

You posted about 2 years ago that you were quitting vet med and going to try for medical school, you also "could not wait then". It has been 2 years since then, what have you been doing? Vet school/med school is not something that you can just stumble into because you feel like it and want to do it. You have to work hard and show that you are dedicated to get accepted. Also, do not expect to be accepted right off the bat, some people apply upwards of 3, 4, 5 times and in the time in between they are working to make improvements in their applications. They are taking more courses, doing research, or gaining more experiences. You have to put effort into this; it is not just going to be handed to you.

I also saw that you posted that Ross is the most difficult vet school there is. This is NOT true. Vet school is hard, ridiculously so no matter where you go. If you thought it was hard at Ross, it is going to be just as hard at CSU, UPenn, Tufts, Cornell, etc, etc. Vet school is a beast; it is not meant to be easy.

Considering the stats you posted that SnS just posted in this thread, you are going to have to do something about the GPA's. Some schools probably won't even look at your application with those GPAs, sorry to be blunt, but that is the truth. I don't know what your grades were like or even how old those grades are, but you may want to reconsider taking some classes in which grades were not so good.

Also, you need to get file reviews from the schools that you applied to. They are usually quite honest about what you need to do to improve to become a more competitive applicant. I can tell you that just based on the stats I see there, you will need to improve your GPA somehow... this may mean having to take a bunch of upper level science courses and getting A's, this may mean repeating courses with less than stellar grades AND taking upper level science courses, this may mean going towards a master's. Talk to the schools and ask them.

Getting into vet school is not something you can just stumble into simply because you don't want to wait. You don't have a choice. You are either going to have to wait until the next application cycle opens in June and in the mean time work your butt off to improve your application based on what the schools say or you are going to have to realize that if you really can not wait, then you can not go to vet school. I know this is harsh, but it is the reality of the situation.

Have you looked at the other international schools? I believe the Australian schools often start in February - at least their undergrad years did.

:thumbup:
Australian vet schools do start in Feb as well.

I think DVMD made a great post. Figure out a game plan for your GPA and talk to the schools. If you want to go to vet school, grades definitely need to be addressed. I think you'll have a tough time convincing schools that you can handle their curriculum when you haven't done well in the prereqs and haven't shown effort to improve no matter where you choose to apply.