I'm not taking that for granted, I just didn't specifically address it...I absolutely agree with you. The point of my post was to say that for SOME PEOPLE, the school they select will have a large influence on IF they go on to specialize and WHERE they go on to specialize.
I certainly believe that there are many individuals (and probably the most in OMFS because of how unique it is and the amount of dedication it requires) who would match into their first choice REGARDLESS of where they did dental school. And I think a lot of the people on this board who post are the success stories and the individuals who would've MATCHED it from any school. They confidently tell you "choose the cheapest!" because they could've made it work from anywhere. The cheapest school for these people is the best choice.
But we almost NEVER hear from the people, like myself, who came in knowing they wanted to specialize and then didn't. And, anecdotally, I think there are a lot of these people whose experiences go overlooked. As an OMFS resident, I cannot tell you how many dentists (GPs, Peds, Anesthesia, you name it!) find out I'm in OMFS and tell me right away that they wanted to do OMFS but didn't because _________. I can think of 2 people this week that did this! So there are a substantial amount of dentists out there that wanted to specialize, but didn't...and there are a lot of factors that could have swayed them obviously, but choosing a school based ONLY upon money most likely played a small to significant role.
I'm the confirmed N=1 that chose the cheapest school and regretted it. And I simply want to be the one on this board who suggests to applicants that cost may be the heaviest weighted factor when choosing a dental school, but it shouldn't be the entire basis for the decision.
PS - sorry for the grammar/spelling errors I'm writing this on my ridiculously cracked iPhone.