Which schools value the PCAT the most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ewoowe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We all know about schools that do not require the PCAT, but I have the reverse question...

What schools places more emphasis on the PCAT than other criteria (experience, GPA, community service, etc)?

If you have a 4.0 and score 20% in the PCAT you can still get into some schools, and I know people that have a 2.6 GPA that have been accepted to programs because of their 40 hours of community service a week.

The reason I'm asking this is because I did really well on the PCAT (99% in all sections - except reading, 96%), but I only have a 3.0 GPA, 1 year pharmacy tech experience and no community service.

Thanks for your feedback!!!

Members don't see this ad.

generally, GPA is regarded as more important than PCAT score. If you have a low GPA and high PCAT score, prepare to be ask why. It's understandable if you have a hard major (engineering).

It makes sense, that no pharmacy school values PCAT more than GPA, but there has to be a school that values it more than most schools. I know that is a fairly esoteric distinction, but I was hoping someone out there had the inside scope.

goheel

I see that you are in North Carolina. Do you know anything about Wingate School of Pharmacy outside of Charlotte?

In order to answer a question of this caliber, one would have to be in or know someone in the adcom...

Many many schools implement a point system and unfortunately, the point system is fairly enigmatic... Much like what goes on behind close doors in Mormon temples... =) (Not a dish on Mormons, many of my buddies are, I'm just curious what goes on inside. =) )

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Nikkai, that's what I was afraid of. I guess it's back to the "scatter-gun" approach. That is, apply to 20 different schools and hope someone is impressed enough to give me a shot.

pharmacology
Wingate has been 'reviewed' by SACS, and they will vote to see if Wingate will be allowed to have a 2005 class. The admin at Wingate say that they are optimistic and hope to begin interviews in early July. I find that hard to believe. Have interviews in July then start school in September? I just don't see it happening. I have my fingers crossed though, since Wingate is my last hope for 2005. I'm surprised this isn't a bigger topic of conversation on this board.

I'm not sure if any schools value the PCAT more, I always thought they cared more about the gpa

lgooden said:
I'm not sure if any schools value the PCAT more, I always thought they cared more about the gpa

i think the original poster knows GPA is important... he/she is just wanting to know which schools put a lot of emphasis on the PCAT, even if it still isn't weighted as much as GPA.

We all know about schools that do not require the PCAT, but I have the reverse question...

What schools places more emphasis on the PCAT than other criteria (experience, GPA, community service, etc)?

If you have a 4.0 and score 20% in the PCAT you can still get into some schools, and I know people that have a 2.6 GPA that have been accepted to programs because of their 40 hours of community service a week.

The reason I'm asking this is because I did really well on the PCAT (99% in all sections - except reading, 96%), but I only have a 3.0 GPA, 1 year pharmacy tech experience and no community service.

I'd like to know too. I'm in the same boat. Let us say you want to apply to UCSD or UCSF, PCAT scores not required but does it benefit to have PCAT scores (gotta be high scores too for that fact)?

I don't know of any schools that hold the PCAT score in the same light as an SAT score to an Ivy League admissions committee. However, I want to know which schools use the PCAT score the the strongest.