1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Which Schools will accept me?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by YBD2.JH, Aug 3, 2006.

1. YBD2.JH

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi, this is my first time posting a thread on this website. I just want to say thanks to everyone who posts very resourceful info. in this forum. The reason for my posting is to find out my chances of getting into pharmacy schools as anyone else, who has not been accepted yet, would.
    As for my profile,
    -I am a recent graduate holding a BS in Chemistry with concentration in Biochem.
    -I graduated with 3.6 GPA.
    -I have one pharmacy experience over the last summer (for about two months) as a volunteer at outpatient, inpatient, and ambulatory pharmacies at Medical College of Virginia (of VCU).
    -Currently, I am trying to get a real pharmacy experience at a local retail store to work.

I am interested in going to CA, so I have only applied to three CA pharmacy schools and been turned down. In order to apply to other schools, I have taken the June PCAT for the 1st time.

Here are my scores:
    Verbal 63
    Bio 81
    Reading 95
    Quant 93
    Chem 83
    Composite 90

My questions are:
    (1) Since I have been interested in those three CA schools, I do not know much about other schools. Could anyone tell me to which schools I have a good chance of getting accepted?

(2) Should I re-take PCAT in Oct. to boost up my score? Regardless of being a non-native Eng. speaker, I sort of feel the need to improve my verbal score, especially.

I'd appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. savvysearch

savvysearch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

No. Just apply. Your scores are fine. Check the sticky thread for a list of schools and their statistics on acceptances of out of state applicants.

4. YBD2.JH

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thank you savvysearch for your reply.
    I understand that AACP has good info. on the acceptance rates based on PCAT and etc. Do you happen to know the link to that info.? Thanks again.

5. pharmacology

pharmacology Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Go to VCU. Get a first class education at a research institution. Go down to Richbrau, have a brew and think about it. Richmond can be a fun town, you would be on the medical campus with a lot of learning opportunities, an NIH designated cancer center (Massey), a top notch heart transplant hospital, high quality research and clinical opportunities, along with the VCU Rams. Of course I am biased because I am a VCU alum. My only question is why you didn't consider VCU in the first place?

6. YBD2.JH

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    FIY:
    First of all, I didn't like Richmond when I was going to VCU.
    Secondly, CA was where my heart is since my bf is there. The weather is a plus, too.

But this time, I will apply to VCU as well as UNC and more since they accept quite a lot of VCU students.

7. Pharm47

Pharm47 Just keep running...
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I'm not exactly sure of which city its in, but if your boyf is in CA, you could try USN. When I lived in LA, people drove to Vegas for the weekend all the time, so its do-able. Also, there are way more than 3 CA schools - try applying to the whole list:

LL
    Tuoro
    UCSD
    UCSF
    USC
    UP
    Western

Would your boyf be willing to relocate?

8. YBD2.JH

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    My boyfriend is in downtown LA. And he has his own things going on around music industry, so the chance of his relocating is pretty low.
    I tried only UCSD, UCSF, and USC. I was told by pharmacists from CA that those three really stand out and also help as far as getting jobs via connections.

Can anyone give me a link to the AACP or any other website which lists PCAT scores and the respective probability of acceptance?

9. Pharm47

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    It's a tough one: http://www.aacp.org

you're not going to find stats on the probability of acceptance straight up. but with a little searching you can find helpful stats.

10. Pharm47

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Also, Western and Loma Linda are close to LA. If you applied and didn't get in to the "top" (and very competitive) CA programs, why not try these? You'll still have a PharmD at the end of it all.

11. Wordsworth301

Wordsworth301 New Member
    5+ Year Member

Why are you worried about PCAT scores when you want to go to a CA school? None of the CA schools even require the PCAT

12. YBD2.JH

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi Wordsworth301,
    it is because despite my interests in CA schools, I want to expand my choices by applying to other states' schools which do require PCAT. This year, I am eager to apply to other schools, to which I have good chances of getting accepted (Don't want to waste another year to get in). Also, I think at least USC gives positive consideration to good PCAT scores (I read it somewhere in this forum, thanks to the poster).