Which secondary do you feel you did your best on? Your worst?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flatearth22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just did the USC secondary and really felt I did well. It was a somewhat unconventional secondary but not too long and not too short. Easily my best so far. :thumbup:

My worst was so far is VaTech....the essay they wanted was too long and did not fit with my application's strengths :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

My MDapps is way too detailed for me to want to answer this question. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I really liked the ones I did later in the cycle and the ones that were very specific. Arizona Phoenix, Tucson, and Loyola were my favorites even though when I received them I was pissed off at the length of the secondary :D I hate ones like St. Louis where they ask nothing but what've been up to? Better to write more and in detail about yourself than nothing when your stats aren't great

i applied last year, off the top of my head

best - yale, wake forest; both had broad questions that were easily answered
worst - duke (long and involved questions; gave short, uninteresting answers), unc (did not fit well with my application)

I have to say, I really love your attitude- viewing the secondaries like any other academic task instead of a hassle. "I feel like I really did well on that one"- what a refreshing outlook. Rock On

My best was easily Yale - the 100 top reasons to go to Yale online booklet was a great help, I reflected their mission statement and philosophy to a T, and I managed to throw in a personal hook that fit in exactly and demonstrated what I was trying to prove - that I would be a good match.

My worst? I had several that I thought were more eh than good, but none that were bad, else I wouldn't have sent them. Some of the schools with three essays (like Stony Brook and NYU), I had one weak essay out of the three.

From last season:

Best: Yale
Result: Not even interviewed

Worst: Johns Hopkins
Result: Accepted

Worst: UVA, any school with a diversity essay (mine sucked)
Best: any school that asked "Why this school"

Best: Duke

("Best" in that it was a ridiculous experiment. I wrote about gangs, gay clubbing, and other random crap I didn't/wouldn't put on other secondaries. Perhaps more reflective of my personality? Highly doubt I'll get an interview, but I enjoyed it in the end.)

Worst: GWU

(First secondary submitted, didn't put that much work into it. Result: On hold for re-review.)

Just did the USC secondary and really felt I did well. It was a somewhat unconventional secondary but not too long and not too short. Easily my best so far. :thumbup:

My worst was so far is VaTech....the essay they wanted was too long and did not fit with my application's strengths :thumbdown:

I thoroughly enjoyed USCs secondary and also feel it was my best. The questions were unconventional and consequently more thought provoking. That is, the short answer questions.

Worst=George Washington, this was really a result of that god awful PDF

Dartmouth, and UVA, i felt like i poured my heart into....

Stanford, i wish i had some inspiration earlier....

I think it sux when you realize WHAT TO WRITE after you submit the essay...haha