Which states allow you to take the boards soonest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsinccom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm going to be practicing in Wisconsin starting July 1st but I can take the boards in any state as I'll be working at a VA. In Wisconsin, once you get the ATT, you cannot take the NAPLEX/MPJE for 30 days after receipt. Is this the same in all states? I'd like to take my board exams asap after graduating rather than have to wait 30 days. It also takes 2 weeks to process my application in Wisconsin. Is that average or does that seem long too? I could take the Nevada or Wyoming or Idaho boards. Anyone know if these states are faster at moving through the process?

Members don't see this ad.

You are applying during the busy season. It will be slow wherever you go. In Wisconsin, you will find out if you pass or not 2 days after taking the exam. I said it would take up to two weeks to process your application, it could be faster.
Yes, I did the entire process in less than 7 weeks, but that is not normal. My supervisor commented on how quickly I did it all.
Madison graduates their students in mid May, UIC graduates in early May, MWU in March, and Twin Cities in mid-May. Those are the big schools for Wisconsin pharmacists.

Members don't see this ad :)
not california...they take 2 months to give you att unless you went to school in cali.

Add Texas to the list of slow as hell states. Two months would be fast, three is the norm and I've heard longer wait times.

As far as how soon or fast you can take your exams depends on your state and your school. The State Boards in the three states I have been in required your school to certify your hours and status with NABP. This at the soonest happens after your have graduated. It depends on how fast your school gets the info to NABP.

In my experience, fast would be fully licensed one month after graduation (Colorado and Kansas). The norm seems to be 4 to 6 weeks and really slow states like Texass 3 months is average.

So, I'm going to be practicing in Wisconsin starting July 1st but I can take the boards in any state as I'll be working at a VA. In Wisconsin, once you get the ATT, you cannot take the NAPLEX/MPJE for 30 days after receipt. Is this the same in all states? I'd like to take my board exams asap after graduating rather than have to wait 30 days. It also takes 2 weeks to process my application in Wisconsin. Is that average or does that seem long too? I could take the Nevada or Wyoming or Idaho boards. Anyone know if these states are faster at moving through the process?

Is this still true for Wisconsin? I thought once you receive your ATT, you can take it whenever you want. I didn't know you have to wait 30 days?

You are applying during the busy season. It will be slow wherever you go. In Wisconsin, you will find out if you pass or not 2 days after taking the exam. I said it would take up to two weeks to process your application, it could be faster.
Yes, I did the entire process in less than 7 weeks, but that is not normal. My supervisor commented on how quickly I did it all.
Madison graduates their students in mid May, UIC graduates in early May, MWU in March, and Twin Cities in mid-May. Those are the big schools for Wisconsin pharmacists.

Do you know if it is true that you have to wait 30 days once receiving ATT for Wisconsin before taking the exam as mentioned in the OP or can you take it whenever when you get your ATT?

You will receive your ATT whenever the application is processed. However, all the dates on the website will be blacked out until 30 days from application has passed. I haven't heard of any change in that law.

Reactions: 1 user
You will receive your ATT whenever the application is processed. However, all the dates on the website will be blacked out until 30 days from application has passed. I haven't heard of any change in that law.

Thanks for the quick response. That's so dumb that a graduate has to wait 30 days. Not to mention another two weeks for application to be processed, which makes a total of 45ish days before taking the exams. I want to get the exams out of the way ASAP!

Are you sure this is the case? I just spoke to a representative from the Board who said she was not aware of this and believes a graduate can take the test immediately once the ATT is received.