eklope2000

15+ Year Member
May 29, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
I'm curious if anyone knows which top ranked schools have traditional lecture based curricula with either no, or very little, PBL. I know UCSF and Harvard NP are PBL, and Harvard HST is lecture. What about some others? Hopkins? Wash U?

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
wow you have the worst karma i've ever seen, what happened? I believe P&S is mostly lecture.

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
Status
eklope2000 said:
I'm curious if anyone knows which top ranked schools have traditional lecture based curricula with either no, or very little, PBL. I know UCSF and Harvard NP are PBL, and Harvard HST is lecture. What about some others? Hopkins? Wash U?
Why, have problems interacting with people? Your karma suggests so. :laugh:

About the Ads

TheFlash

Playtime Is Over
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
The City of Blinding Lights
Status
Ah, you're the one who started the "Too Many Women In Medicine" thread in Everyone. That explains your kamra.

Columbia, Pritzker and HST come to mind right away for having rigidly lecture-based curricula. Be careful, though. You should understand your learning style very well before choosing a one-dimensional curriculum based heavily in either lecture or PBL.

Harps

Jatt Denominator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
TheFlash said:
Be careful, though. You should understand your learning style very well before choosing a one-dimensional curriculum based heavily in either lecture or PBL.
Very true!! Anyhow, I know that Stanford has very little PBL...mainly lecture.

BTW, your karma...ahemm...what did you do??

-Harps

eklope2000

15+ Year Member
May 29, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Please feel free to add to or correct the list so far:
While we're at it, my as well post any school... not necessarily top ranked.

PBL:
Harvard NP
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
Cornell

Traditional/Lecture:
Columbia
Wash U
U Wash
Hopkins
U Chicago
Harvard HST
Stanford
Dartmouth

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
Status
PBL is such a big thing nowadays...well good PBL can make it resemble more the actual thought and decision making process in clinical setting, but I still like all those lectures that I can fall back on

fullefect1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
Mass
Status
Harps said:
Also, Dartmouth has a fairly traditional-curriculum!!

-Harps
Not trying to put down dartmouth, but I wouldn't consider them a top ranked Med school.

taehong81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
I believe Vandy and Emory have a traditional curriculum.

Harps

Jatt Denominator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
fullefect1 said:
Not trying to put down dartmouth, but I wouldn't consider them a top ranked Med school.
Why? Doesn't Dr. Koop teach there? They're small...in fact, if you look at the complexity index of the type of cases they see at DHC...it's one of the highest in the country...it's top ranked in my books....great place to learn medicine. Also, they have one of the highest per investigator funding in the country!

-Harps

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
Status
fullefect1 said:
Dartmouth isn't ranked high in USNews Research ranking, partly because it's a small school with limited resource to recruit many researchers. It has been trying to shoot up its ranking over the years by increasing NIH funding.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
CalBeE said:
Dartmouth isn't ranked high in USNews Research ranking, partly because it's a small school with limited resource to recruit many researchers. It has been trying to shoot up its ranking over the years by increasing NIH funding.

but its in new hampshireeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :(

About the Ads