Which top-ranked schools have no PBL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eklope2000

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone knows which top ranked schools have traditional lecture based curricula with either no, or very little, PBL. I know UCSF and Harvard NP are PBL, and Harvard HST is lecture. What about some others? Hopkins? Wash U?

Members don't see this ad.

wow you have the worst karma i've ever seen, what happened? I believe P&S is mostly lecture.

eklope2000 said:
I'm curious if anyone knows which top ranked schools have traditional lecture based curricula with either no, or very little, PBL. I know UCSF and Harvard NP are PBL, and Harvard HST is lecture. What about some others? Hopkins? Wash U?

Why, have problems interacting with people? Your karma suggests so. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Gleevec said:

LOL...........................

Gleevec said:

Hahaha, I have to admit it's a good joke.

Anyway, I'm not that bad a guy. Anyone else with info on PBL?

UW is primarily lecture-based.

Columbia is pretty traditional.

Ah, you're the one who started the "Too Many Women In Medicine" thread in Everyone. That explains your kamra.

Columbia, Pritzker and HST come to mind right away for having rigidly lecture-based curricula. Be careful, though. You should understand your learning style very well before choosing a one-dimensional curriculum based heavily in either lecture or PBL.

TheFlash said:
Be careful, though. You should understand your learning style very well before choosing a one-dimensional curriculum based heavily in either lecture or PBL.

Very true!! Anyhow, I know that Stanford has very little PBL...mainly lecture.

BTW, your karma...ahemm...what did you do??

-Harps

Please feel free to add to or correct the list so far:
While we're at it, my as well post any school... not necessarily top ranked.

PBL:
Harvard NP
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
Cornell

Traditional/Lecture:
Columbia
Wash U
U Wash
Hopkins
U Chicago
Harvard HST
Stanford
Dartmouth

Also, Dartmouth has a fairly traditional-curriculum!!

-Harps

Harps said:

-Harps

what is so innovative about harvard new pathway??

docmemi said:
what is so innovative about harvard new pathway??

Basically, ALL PBL....it seems to suit some people really well :)

-Harps

PBL is such a big thing nowadays...well good PBL can make it resemble more the actual thought and decision making process in clinical setting, but I still like all those lectures that I can fall back on

Harps said:

-Harps

Not trying to put down dartmouth, but I wouldn't consider them a top ranked Med school.

I believe Vandy and Emory have a traditional curriculum.

fullefect1 said:
Not trying to put down dartmouth, but I wouldn't consider them a top ranked Med school.

Why? Doesn't Dr. Koop teach there? They're small...in fact, if you look at the complexity index of the type of cases they see at DHC...it's one of the highest in the country...it's top ranked in my books....great place to learn medicine. Also, they have one of the highest per investigator funding in the country!

-Harps

fullefect1 said:
Dartmouth isn't ranked high in USNews Research ranking, partly because it's a small school with limited resource to recruit many researchers. It has been trying to shoot up its ranking over the years by increasing NIH funding.

CalBeE said:
Dartmouth isn't ranked high in USNews Research ranking, partly because it's a small school with limited resource to recruit many researchers. It has been trying to shoot up its ranking over the years by increasing NIH funding.

but its in new hampshireeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :(

exmike said:
but its in new hampshireeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :(
Precisely the reason I withdrew from there...but some people like a rural outdoorsy setting ;)