Which type of med student are you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What type of medical student are you?

• The painfully enthusiastic

Votes: 25 11.0%
  • The overly academic

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • The gunner

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • The missing

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • The crier

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • The prankster

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • The perpetually enraged

Votes: 15 6.6%
  • The questionable admission

Votes: 25 11.0%
  • The sensitive soul

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • The one track mind

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • The twelve year old

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • The sane one

Votes: 57 25.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Callogician

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The twelve types of medical students:

http://theunderweardrawer.homestead.com/twelvemedstudents.html

Which type of medical student are you? Please explain.

My response: the prankster.

Last year, I sent my group-members a joke e-mail inviting them to an orgy for "group solidarity." The next day, one chick shot me this look of naivete and disgust. Another time, I changed the background on some school computers to an x-rated comic which I like. The backgrounds were changed back within hours, and a caustic e-mail was sent out to the whole class complaining about the incident.

Members don't see this ad.

Callogician said:

Last year, I sent my group-members a joke e-mail inviting them to an orgy for "group solidarity." The next day, one chick shot me this look of naivete and disgust. Another time, I changed the background on some school computers to an x-rated comic which I like. The backgrounds were changed back within hours, and a caustic e-mail was sent out to the whole class complaining about the incident.

...so you're......an idiot? I didn't see that category.

Don't sound like a neurologist to me! More like ortho, urology or EM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be a gunner. But, let me tell you that the clenched ass is not because I'm up-tight. It is because there is no such thing as too nice of an ass and there is no such thing as a bad time to exercise your glutes!

before school started, i would have thought of myself as the questionable admission...now i actually see myself as the sane one...although, i think by sane, i just mean deeply in denial about still being the questionable admission.... :laugh:

One track-mind :laugh:

It's more than a little disturbing to find that a high percentage of us think that they're sane.

Cozmosis said:
A cross between the 12 year old, perpetually enraged, questionable admission, and prankster.

Coz, you and I can sit in the back of class and snicker every time we hear the words "colon," "rectal," "anal," and the like. Remind Eddie to tell you about the umbilicus on Thursday. :laugh:

i'm the one track mind for sure right now, except i wanna do cardiology, not ortho. K back to reading my electrocardiography book...

TheFortunate said:
i'm the one track mind for sure right now, except i wanna do cardiology, not ortho. K back to reading my electrocardiography book...

I'm a cardio one track mind too. I sit around reading cardiology papers while finishing my cardiology lab summer fellowship, and today I picked up Clinical Cardiology Made Ridiculously Simple so that I could read it during my spare time before school starts. Now I just need the t-shirt and I should be all set.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have this bad feeling I'll be a mix between the painfully enthusiastic and the crier.

(I'm not bipolar . . . I just force myself to be optimistic so when things are completely un-spinnable for a long time I lose it a little. Gotta work on that. Bring on the jaded.)

LadyWolverine said:
Coz, you and I can sit in the back of class and snicker every time we hear the words "colon," "rectal," "anal," and the like. Remind Eddie to tell you about the umbilicus on Thursday. :laugh:
hehe, anal

browniegirl86 said:
I have this bad feeling I'll be a mix between the painfully enthusiastic and the crier.

Meee too! Totally the way to be :cool:

I'm the 12 year old, the sensitive soul, and the painfully enthusiastic all in one (I think)... I'm actually kind of worried about the 12 year old in me; I really hope I can overcome the fart-giggles for the sake of professionalism! :oops:

not many gunners, are there? ;)

maybe we should start another poll about our two closest classmates and characterize them...this self reporting bizness is probably biased...

I'm slowly building up to becoming "perpetually enraged," sadly ;-/

Callogician said:

you're a wild and crazy one ! I wonder what you'll think of next??

Callogician said:

I think your pranks are awesome. I wish I had the testicles for such endeavors.

Anyways, i'll admit to being the overly academic (looks like 10 of us picked it, but no one talked about it). The near-universal consensus among my undergrad friends was that I should have applied to Ph.D, not M.D. programs.

I do like people, don't get me wrong, but I'm much more interested in the scientific stuff. Day-to-day management of things like hypertension just doesn't do much for me, and the truly emergent cases scare me off and demand too much quick thinking.

I think I'm going to be a pathologist. I love what I've seen of the specialty thus far, and it relies on science more than most other specialties.

Callogician, I like most of your posts, but I don't understand the neurology thing. Going into something so nebulous, where there's often nothing you can really do....what's the appeal? A lot of my good friends in med school are interested in neurology, and I just don't get it. Neurology seems like it would suck. What is the big draw? It seems like most other 'overly academic' types want to do that, but not pathology, where you can do much more basic science research. Could you please explain?

The highest category is "The Sane One"? This being the allo forum, Im going to highly doubt that. If you were "The Sane One" then you wouldnt be in medical school. Lets be honest people.....

MarzMD said:
The highest category is "The Sane One"? This being the allo forum, Im going to highly doubt that. If you were "The Sane One" then you wouldnt be in medical school. Lets be honest people.....

Well, I'll give an outside chance to a sane person getting into med school. But there's no way one would be on SDN. :laugh:

well I'm the prankster of course...to be perfectly accurate I would have to say prankster/superstar...but superstar is somehow not an option??

getunconcsious said:
Callogician, I like most of your posts, but I don't understand the neurology thing.

I'm interested in neurology because it very complex...almost to the point where it must be understood as an abstraction. I hope to be able to understand it more concretely in the future. I enjoy the problem solving and diagnostic aspects of neurology, and I also like the fact that it requires a good understanding of general medical conditions. I like old and disabled patients, and I don't mind the fact that many neurological conditions are intractable as much as one would think. I see it as an opportunity for the field of neurology to develop during my career. I think that I would be happy so long as I could make some positive difference in people's lives. I don't think that I could ever do something like pathology because despite being somewhat socially inept, I like patients, and I like the dynamics of interacting with them.

Regardless of the above, I haven't actually decided on a field. I haven't even decided surgery vs. non-surgery. I have maybe a 1/4 chance of ending up in neurology.

:laugh: :laugh: Totally with you! I assume I could be the sane one, but who knows. I feel like I would be a mix between the sane one (with a hint of sarcasm and darkness) and possibly the painfully enthusiastic one :love: :love: .

jbrice1639 said:
before school started, i would have thought of myself as the questionable admission...now i actually see myself as the sane one...although, i think by sane, i just mean deeply in denial about still being the questionable admission.... :laugh:

Yep. I'm the overly enthusiastic. My nickname is actually "Ray of G-d Sunshine." :)

I used to be the painfully enthusiastic until class started, that's when I started to think that I'm the questionable one.

I used to be the missing (which I think is a good sign you're a "sane" medical student) actually got voted least likely to show up to class...I was very proud at that moment. now that I have to show up I like to think Im the sane one but my classmates may see me as a gunner, im not sure...I try to avoid most of them.

I don't think any of the 12 could even begin to describe me. After all, I'm an expelled student.

I'm still preclinical, but I guess I'm painfully enthusiastic most of the time. At least until I become cynical and bitter, but that hasn't happened yet...

ha, funny thing is that i DID work at gap folding jeans for a year prior to entering med school. but i voted myself to be the one track mind. i wish there was something like the "content with being average" guy.

I'm a sane one... my kids keep me sane - or maybe I should say that life at home with my kids makes med school seem like sanity :)

Is there a category for the jaded-against-pompous-academia-exhausted-from-16-hour-study-days
tired-of-useless-roleofserotonininjetlag-lectures-stressed-about-one-point-on-a-test
sick-of-not-having-a-personal-life student?

Cuz that's about where I am.

Pish. The poll is closed. Otherwise, I'd mark myself down as the perpetually enraged.

Unless I'm exhausted and unhappy, in which case I am definitely the crier.

I, too, find it terribly amusing that over a quarter of the people here think they're "the sane one." We're in med school. We're enthusiastically paying anywhere from $22,000 - $35,000 per year to spend hours and hours reading texts, staring blankly at powerpoint slides (God I hate powerpoint slides), stressing over exams, poking and prodding patients that don't want to be poked or prodded by newbies, and just generally not having much of a normal life. This is to say nothing of the world of hurt that residency could potentially be (depending, of course, on what you choose to do). By definition, that means we're all a little crazy.

Back to studying for finals. . . :scared:

Perpetually enraged!

MUST... STRANGLE... LEAD II

How about annoyingly lazy? :laugh: