Which veterinary supplies vender?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armymutt25A

Cranky VSST OIC
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to build a home stock of frequently used meds, bandages, etc. A lot of folks here use MWI, but there are several others. Wanted to see if anyone has an input. I looked at MWI, but I can't access their product lists without an account.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm wanting to build a home stock of frequently used meds, bandages, etc. A lot of folks here use MWI, but there are several others. Wanted to see if anyone has an input. I looked at MWI, but I can't access their product lists without an account.

If you're not a business, you can't use a wholesaler (like MWI) - you have to buy things retail. And if you're not a doctor, you can't buy medications without a prescription from a doctor (unless they are OTC medications, of course).

Members don't see this ad :)
As a former inventory manager for a vet hospital, I am partial to Patterson (formerly Webster).

Hi ArmyMutt,

Throughout my industry career, I bought from several veterinary suppliers (JA Webster, Patterson, MWI, and even some smaller vendors). By far, MWI trumps them all. The catalog selection was fantastic, and shipping was fast. Customer service was also excellent. There was never anything I wanted to order that I couldn't get from MWI, which is something I can't say for other vendors that I've used in the past. MWI would certainly be my go to supplier for veterinary items. Excellent selection of both large and small animal products, generic and brand name (MWI's generic brand is called 'Vet One'). Highly recommended.

If you're not a business, you can't use a wholesaler (like MWI) - you have to buy things retail. And if you're not a doctor, you can't buy medications without a prescription from a doctor (unless they are OTC medications, of course).
not true. You can set up a personal account (I did this prior to opening my practice) with your home address. I know other vets that do this as well (as they work for corporate vets).

In this area, I prefer Patterson. They ship next day on everything and are very responsive. Our MWI rep seems to have issues and isn't available to talk as readily as our patterson rep. I haven't had issues finding anything.

If you need something specific, PM me and I can try to get you some prices.

Reactions: 1 users
not true. You can set up a personal account (I did this prior to opening my practice) with your home address. I know other vets that do this as well (as they work for corporate vets).

Huh. I had no idea. Good to know.

I use MWI for my personal vet needs. Can order singke cards of HW prevention (Iverhart), 60 ct bottles of Rimadyl, and individual horse vaccines. Everything else I get through work.