Which way Democratic or Republican?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ThinkFast007 said:
...its a win win situation for both the employer and the worker. The employer gets out of having to prvide the worker with benefits, ins, etc. The worker gets pure cash thats not taxed...
I could see this as a lose-lose situation. The worker loses because he doesn't have insurance, benefits, etc. The employer (and the rest of us) loses because the salary he pays won't support the tax-funded infrastructure the employer relies on....highways, police, firemen, etc.
 
toughlife said:
So when they shop for food, coronas, jalapenos, gasoline, etc where does the sales tax collections end up?

When they work, they have state/federal income tax collected from their paychecks. Where does that money end up?

I am not excusing their breaking the law, I am just saying they do contribute but, as I stated in my previous post, it probably is not enough to cover what they use.

Also, I find it ironic that a lot of americans complain about these people and it is those same americans who hire them to do their roof on the house, mow their lawns, clean their houses, wipe their kid's ass.

Just to prove a point, when I did my ER rotation, the dept. Chairman was bragging to me about how he saved a ton of money by hiring 12 mexicans to put a new roof on his home. He was so happy that it took only 5 hours to remove the old roof and get the new roof on.

Total labor cost: $600 bucks! He paid each one $10/hr.

tell me americans don't love that shizznit? Who are we kidding? Now get twelve tall, blond, blue eyed dudes to do the same and I will shut up.

New Orleans is recovering, albeit slowly, largely because of the influx of latinos that possess an impenetrable work ethic.

2 weeks ago, I left my house as I always do at 5:48 AM (yes, I've got my biz calculated down to the minute, at least when it comes to sleep).

There was a white van parked across the street. Four latinos were climbing out, heading for my neighbor's house's roof.

I arrived home at 6:30 pm.

Same latinos were finishing their day on the roof.

And I've witnessed their schedule, which resembles mine, on nearby roofs.

Latinos have infiltrated New Orleans.

They are hard working dudes who work from dawn to dusk.

Know why????

OPPORTUNITY.

There is a plethora of blue collar jobs in New Orleans right now. And its not gonna end any time soon. And these blue collar jobs are paying (relatively) big salaries.

MESSAGE: If you are coming back to New Orleans, considering the HUGE job opportinities here, and you dont want to work and are looking for government subsidy,

STAY THE F UCK WHERE YOU EVACUATED TO. YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A USELESS HUMAN EATING UP OUR TAX DOLLARS.

If you are coming back, emulate the hard-working latino-influx.

No more free ride.
 
jetproppilot said:
New Orleans is recovering, albeit slowly, largely because of the influx of latinos that possess an impenetrable work ethic.

2 weeks ago, I left my house as I always do at 5:48 AM (yes, I've got my biz calculated down to the minute, at least when it comes to sleep).

There was a white van parked across the street. Four latinos were climbing out, heading for my neighbor's house's roof.

I arrived home at 6:30 pm.

Same latinos were finishing their day on the roof.

And I've witnessed their schedule, which resembles mine, on nearby roofs.

Latinos have infiltrated New Orleans.

They are hard working dudes who work from dawn to dusk.

Know why????

OPPORTUNITY.

There is a plethora of blue collar jobs in New Orleans right now. And its not gonna end any time soon. And these blue collar jobs are paying (relatively) big salaries.

MESSAGE: If you are coming back to New Orleans, considering the HUGE job opportinities here, and you dont want to work and are looking for government subsidy,

STAY THE F UCK WHERE YOU EVACUATED TO. YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A USELESS HUMAN EATING UP OUR TAX DOLLARS.

If you are coming back, emulate the hard-working latino-influx.

No more free ride.

Dude, those cats are unbelievable. I have a latino kid I hired that does the work of 3 people, never misses a day, and never gives me problems. Of course I do my part, and pay him the salary of two people, but this guy is no joke. What I do find interesting is the younger kids that wanna work there come in with a little work permit signed, and ready to go, but are requesting days off during their first week, asking for benefits at half-time, and demanding top dollar. It speaks volumes about how people are blinded by complacency, so much so that they can't see opportunities in front of them. I hope I can drill my work-ethic into my kids.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
toofache32 said:
I could see this as a lose-lose situation. The worker loses because he doesn't have insurance, benefits, etc. The employer (and the rest of us) loses because the salary he pays won't support the tax-funded infrastructure the employer relies on....highways, police, firemen, etc.
you and I see this as a lose-lose situation.

but you talk about INS and benefits. F them.. these 'illegal immigrants' know that if they gotta prolly, where do you go??? COUNTY hospital

i agree WE are friggin loosing out on this cuz WE (you and I have to take salary cuts to improve highways, lights on teh streets, roads).

THats why I say...friggin I hope this legislation goes through.
 
jetproppilot said:
New Orleans is recovering, albeit slowly, largely because of the influx of latinos that possess an impenetrable work ethic.

2 weeks ago, I left my house as I always do at 5:48 AM (yes, I've got my biz calculated down to the minute, at least when it comes to sleep).

There was a white van parked across the street. Four latinos were climbing out, heading for my neighbor's house's roof.

I arrived home at 6:30 pm.

Same latinos were finishing their day on the roof.

And I've witnessed their schedule, which resembles mine, on nearby roofs.

Latinos have infiltrated New Orleans.

They are hard working dudes who work from dawn to dusk.

Know why????

OPPORTUNITY.

There is a plethora of blue collar jobs in New Orleans right now. And its not gonna end any time soon. And these blue collar jobs are paying (relatively) big salaries.

MESSAGE: If you are coming back to New Orleans, considering the HUGE job opportinities here, and you dont want to work and are looking for government subsidy,

STAY THE F UCK WHERE YOU EVACUATED TO. YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A USELESS HUMAN EATING UP OUR TAX DOLLARS.

If you are coming back, emulate the hard-working latino-influx.

No more free ride.

Passed through NO last July going fishing in Port Fourchon (sp?). Car lots were still mudpiles with cars abound. Saw the probably 20 acre field of trailers that FEMA has. Downtown was a wreck. Stopped for gas at a BP station just short of pushing the DC Tacoma due to not finding gas and the BP had a couple thousand dollar sign on bonus for one year's work at the register.

No takers.

Most likely due to the fact that at least SOME of the latinos JPP mentioned ain't got the papers in order, but it goes to show that the workforce is needed, but for various reasons, the supply just isn't there. Most of the vechicles we saw were construction foremen running around town takin' care of business.

Really a sad sight..I for one hope New Orleans rebounds and becomes better than before for some of the sorrier citizens not returning.
 
rn29306 said:
Passed through NO last July going fishing in Port Fourchon (sp?). Car lots were still mudpiles with cars abound. Saw the probably 20 acre field of trailers that FEMA has. Downtown was a wreck. Stopped for gas at a BP station just short of pushing the DC Tacoma due to not finding gas and the BP had a couple thousand dollar sign on bonus for one year's work at the register.

No takers.

Most likely due to the fact that at least SOME of the latinos JPP mentioned ain't got the papers in order, but it goes to show that the workforce is needed, but for various reasons, the supply just isn't there. Most of the vechicles we saw were construction foremen running around town takin' care of business.

Really a sad sight..I for one hope New Orleans rebounds and becomes better than before for some of the sorrier citizens not returning.

👍 👍
 
you know...a talk host guy (lol i know i know, freakin NPR..but wht the hell else do i listen to on the way to 'work') brought this up. Where the heck are Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton??

I wonder what their stance is. Even Mr. Nagin, over in NO, since his friggin city is now being resusciated literally by 'illegals immigrants'...so much for his 'chocolate city' :laugh:

i know jet you are from NO...but dude, i cnat stand Nagin, the most UNprofessional politician ever. seriously. i still have that picture of him SWEARING on national TV after Katrina. sure we all swear, but come on when you are a public servant with so many ppl watching you (kids,etc) you just dont do stupid things like that! friggin idio.
 
ThinkFast007 said:
you know...a talk host guy (lol i know i know, freakin NPR..but wht the hell else do i listen to on the way to 'work') brought this up. Where the heck are Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton??

I wonder what their stance is. Even Mr. Nagin, over in NO, since his friggin city is now being resusciated literally by 'illegals immigrants'...so much for his 'chocolate city' :laugh:

i know jet you are from NO...but dude, i cnat stand Nagin, the most UNprofessional politician ever. seriously. i still have that picture of him SWEARING on national TV after Katrina. sure we all swear, but come on when you are a public servant with so many ppl watching you (kids,etc) you just dont do stupid things like that! friggin idio.

I'm gonna respectfully correct you, Think.

I'm not from New Orleans.

I grew up in Fla. Edumucated in Fla. Residency in New Orleans at Tulane.

Hence my current predicament.

I love my wife dearly. Hot chick. A solid 9.0. Mother of my kids.

But she's got an irrational bond to this city. Hence me living/practicing here, instead of Pensacola/Bradenton/Sarasota/Tampa/Naples/Ft Lauderdale/Miami/Key West.

Warning to you highly educated-at-the-same-time-potential-porn-star-males out there:

fall in love with a chick from new orleans, expect to live in new orleans.

its all good.

I've dealt with my fate.

I still love my wife, despite her irrational affinity to this city.

And I'm here for the long term.

As long as we don't flood during the 2006 hurricane season.

If we do, my porn-star days are again-alive.
 
ThinkFast007 said:
i agree with most of what you said on here Tough. But the above statement is not necessarily true. For example your ER doc that paid these cats $10/hr. That was probably cash. The gov't doesnt see any of that unless, these workers go to the nearest store and buy some coronas,etc (which will be taxed at that point).

But in terms of salary. Manyof these 'illegal' immigrants can work for cash. its a win win situation for both the employer and the worker. The employer gets out of having to prvide the worker with benefits, ins, etc. The worker gets pure cash thats not taxed.

BTW folks, dont get me wrong. I'm all for IMMIGRANTS of any nationality...JUST AS LONG AS THEY ARE LEGAL (as my parents were).
👍


I totally agree. Many do and as you mentioned, it's a win-win situation but the one who benefits the most is the employer not the worker.
The lure of cheap labor is too attractive for many employers to ignore.
 
jetproppilot said:
New Orleans is recovering, albeit slowly, largely because of the influx of latinos that possess an impenetrable work ethic.

2 weeks ago, I left my house as I always do at 5:48 AM (yes, I've got my biz calculated down to the minute, at least when it comes to sleep).

There was a white van parked across the street. Four latinos were climbing out, heading for my neighbor's house's roof.

I arrived home at 6:30 pm.

Same latinos were finishing their day on the roof.

And I've witnessed their schedule, which resembles mine, on nearby roofs.

Latinos have infiltrated New Orleans.

They are hard working dudes who work from dawn to dusk.

Know why????

OPPORTUNITY.

There is a plethora of blue collar jobs in New Orleans right now. And its not gonna end any time soon. And these blue collar jobs are paying (relatively) big salaries.

MESSAGE: If you are coming back to New Orleans, considering the HUGE job opportinities here, and you dont want to work and are looking for government subsidy,

STAY THE F UCK WHERE YOU EVACUATED TO. YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A USELESS HUMAN EATING UP OUR TAX DOLLARS.

If you are coming back, emulate the hard-working latino-influx.

No more free ride.

👍 I am a pretty open-minded person and fairly liberal but the more I think about work and being a productive member of society, the more conservative and less tolerant of laziness I am becoming. No flames please.
 
here's a debate w/ Lou Dobbs and Jorge Ramos
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03/29/immigration/index.html (click on debate with b/w lou dobbs )

it's funny how whenever Lou asks any of these questions, Jorge completely circumvents them.

I think Lou is correct in that if we let the illegals stay (guest worker etc) the people that are going to hurt the most are teh MIDDLE CLASS. The rich absolutely LOVE having illegals here (why do you think both dems and a lot of reps love the idea of guest worker) cuz it's cheap labor.

Who friggin gets hurt. Middle class. Sure, inflation is driven down by having cheap labor, but as a result, the middle class workers dont have a platform to negotiate wages. Plus the social security, medicare,etc of the middle class is what's being soaked up by the ILLEGALs.

Sure you can tell the middle class, "get more educated, get anther degree!". but i ask you this, what the hell is that. I mean everyone does not have the desire, or the drive, and some would say the ability to become say a doctor, lawyer, engineer. I mean why would hte avg joe that worked at Ford Motor company benefit from getting another degree? Plus he might be in his mid 50's and cant really change careers.

additionally, i think it's such BS that ppl are making this into racial issue. What's the racial issue here? it's a matter of breaking the law. as lou says in his debate, mexican americans make over 50% of the LEGAL immigrants to this country. So there's no racism. if you come here legally, he we got no probs.

It's unfortunate, but the mid class is friggin gonna get slammed.
 
jetproppilot said:
New Orleans is recovering, albeit slowly, largely because of the influx of latinos that possess an impenetrable work ethic.

2 weeks ago, I left my house as I always do at 5:48 AM (yes, I've got my biz calculated down to the minute, at least when it comes to sleep).

There was a white van parked across the street. Four latinos were climbing out, heading for my neighbor's house's roof.

I arrived home at 6:30 pm.

Same latinos were finishing their day on the roof.

And I've witnessed their schedule, which resembles mine, on nearby roofs.

Latinos have infiltrated New Orleans.

They are hard working dudes who work from dawn to dusk.

Know why????

OPPORTUNITY.

There is a plethora of blue collar jobs in New Orleans right now. And its not gonna end any time soon. And these blue collar jobs are paying (relatively) big salaries.

MESSAGE: If you are coming back to New Orleans, considering the HUGE job opportinities here, and you dont want to work and are looking for government subsidy,

STAY THE F UCK WHERE YOU EVACUATED TO. YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A USELESS HUMAN EATING UP OUR TAX DOLLARS.

If you are coming back, emulate the hard-working latino-influx.

No more free ride.

Amen. It's interesting how some people target illegal day laborers. But, the way I look at it is, here are a bunch of dudes willing to do just about any kind of job. I respect the hell out of that.

I'm not a proponent of illegality. I would like to see an expedited process though, provided there is a need. And obviously we have a need for labor and other jobs in this country.
 
jetproppilot said:
I'm gonna respectfully correct you, Think.

I'm not from New Orleans.

I grew up in Fla. Edumucated in Fla. Residency in New Orleans at Tulane.

Hence my current predicament.

I love my wife dearly. Hot chick. A solid 9.0. Mother of my kids.

But she's got an irrational bond to this city. Hence me living/practicing here, instead of Pensacola/Bradenton/Sarasota/Tampa/Naples/Ft Lauderdale/Miami/Key West.

Warning to you highly educated-at-the-same-time-potential-porn-star-males out there:

fall in love with a chick from new orleans, expect to live in new orleans.

its all good.

I've dealt with my fate.

I still love my wife, despite her irrational affinity to this city.

And I'm here for the long term.

As long as we don't flood during the 2006 hurricane season.

If we do, my porn-star days are again-alive.
my bad....i always associate you with NO. hahha..tell me about woman, dude they definitely have the ability to reel you in. I'll be honest, the more and more I think about it, I have a feeling I'm going to be a sucka to my fiancee....lol as long as its for her and not being a sucka to any ohter gal, I'll be good.
 
SolidGold00 said:
Are you kidding me? Energy control is the key? So you support invading non-provoking countries, wasting billions of dollars and thousands of lives, to control their oil? You're a *****...sorry. Think before you talk next time.

You miss the point entirely. And the last time I checked Iraq was hardly a "non-provoking country" lol. Don't forget how our little difficulties with Sadaam's regime began. HE INVADED KUWAIT! Now that was a non-provoking country.

You don't have to agree with the fact that our guys are making a strategic move to gain a better hold on the worlds energy supply as a means of gaining leverage, gaining influence, and possibly even as a future means of self-defense. You can go on believing whatever it is you do believe.
 
New Orleans has its ups and downs. You have to put up with the downs to enjoy the ups. I being from La understand these things. Really cant stand the city of Htown. Nice by so individualized and fake. In La everyone knows everyone or at least someone that knows you. You can get royal treatment just about in any city you go. Its all about friends and famlily taking care of friends and fmyl. In Htown people can be in the gym working out next to Dr. Freaking debakey and half the peeps would have no clue. THats just how it is. Screw everyone unless I can use them somehow to make a come up.

So JPP i understand your wifes mentality. The NOLA peeps here in Houston both poor and rich and middle class are having a rough time adjusting here. In La its all about who you know know not as much what you have, though if you are well off it def. helps.

In Houston its all about what you have, who gives a damn who you know b/c prob only a few know that person. Its just all about culture, prob also based on religion as well. Houston is big, boring, bland, same shiznit diff nite, nothing unique, weak social scene without a doubt.

NOLA vibrant, you feel a vibe when walking through the city, friendly a very get to know you city.

They made a great comparisson in the Htown Chronicle today saying those that moved from NOLA to Htown moved from "a city that never sleeps, to a city that is only away 9-5 then is asleep", asleep rather deep id say problem almost as deep as GA STAGE IV.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
nitecap said:
New Orleans has its ups and downs. You have to put up with the downs to enjoy the ups. I being from La understand these things. Really cant stand the city of Htown. Nice by so individualized and fake. In La everyone knows everyone or at least someone that knows you. You can get royal treatment just about in any city you go. Its all about friends and famlily taking care of friends and fmyl. In Htown people can be in the gym working out next to Dr. Freaking debakey and half the peeps would have no clue. THats just how it is. Screw everyone unless I can use them somehow to make a come up.

So JPP i understand your wifes mentality. The NOLA peeps here in Houston both poor and rich and middle class are having a rough time adjusting here. In La its all about who you know know not as much what you have, though if you are well off it def. helps.

In Houston its all about what you have, who gives a damn who you know b/c prob only a few know that person. Its just all about culture, prob also based on religion as well. Houston is big, boring, bland, same shiznit diff nite, nothing unique, weak social scene without a doubt.

NOLA vibrant, you feel a vibe when walking through the city, friendly a very get to know you city.

They made a great comparisson in the Htown Chronicle today saying those that moved from NOLA to Htown moved from "a city that never sleeps, to a city that is only away 9-5 then is asleep", asleep rather deep id say problem almost as deep as GA STAGE IV.

Nice post, Nite.

Coming from a I'm-not-from-New-Orleans-but-I-live-here dude, I'm kinda startin' to see the relevance of your post. And, resultantly (is that a word?), the relevance of my wife's bond to this stricken city.

Cuppla weeks ago, watched Sevendust from the protective altitudes of the Foundation Room's member's only seats, above the House of Blue's stage they played (rocked) on.

Sippin' Don Julio margaritas in my uncrowded space to a major industrial-metal band, high above the crowded main-floor.

Yeah, I'm not a big New Orleans fan.

But living here has its priveleges.

Namely access to majorly-cool music venues.

And food that'll put 20 pounds on your cult-driven, bodybuilding physique, lightning fast.

One year I'm eating fat-free turkey out of the package for dinner....I'm looking at food like I look at taking a dump....its something I have to do....

the next year I'm in New Orleans, and I'm sampling food thats analagous to being lead actor in a flick with Monique de Moan.

I'm trying to abstain from the food here, what with all my disciplinary diet history.

But its hard.

Kinda like telling Monique "uhh, sorry, M. Gotta do laundry tonite. Won't be able to see ya."
 
I think some of you guys need to hang out with La Mara Salvatrucha who hold jobs as migrant construction workers during the day and then murder, rape and sell drugs at night. This might change your mind about some of the illegal aliens hardworking though they might be.
 
jetproppilot said:
I'm gonna respectfully correct you, Think.

I'm not from New Orleans.

I grew up in Fla. Edumucated in Fla. Residency in New Orleans at Tulane.

Hence my current predicament.

I love my wife dearly. Hot chick. A solid 9.0. Mother of my kids.

But she's got an irrational bond to this city. Hence me living/practicing here, instead of Pensacola/Bradenton/Sarasota/Tampa/Naples/Ft Lauderdale/Miami/Key West.

Warning to you highly educated-at-the-same-time-potential-porn-star-males out there:

fall in love with a chick from new orleans, expect to live in new orleans.

its all good.

I've dealt with my fate.

I still love my wife, despite her irrational affinity to this city.

And I'm here for the long term.

As long as we don't flood during the 2006 hurricane season.

If we do, my porn-star days are again-alive.


Also the story of my life. Do not come to New Orleans if you want to leave. I met my wife while at Umiami undergrad and then we moved after the engagement to NOLA. I have not left..LSU-NO med school, Ochsner residency.

Hopefully NOLA job eventually.

The problem is that New Orleans women are hot and great in the sack. They may not be smart about where they want to live, but they are sure worth it. Ohh yeah, they can cook, raise kids and do it all (my wife still works to). SHe is the best.

Back to Louisiana politics..Nagin is a *****. Enough said. The mexicans have rebuilt my roof. I was talking to my African American roofer (the actual owner of the business). He told me that my crew would be mexican because all of his black workers have not returned. Eventhough he offered them bonuses and a place to live. They are all set in Memphis, Houston, Nashville, Jackson, MS, Miami, and whatnot with no job and FEMA money. He saw one of his old employees the other day day and offered what I thought was a great deal, but he declined. It just does not make any sense. If I was given 20,000 from FEMA to live and I could still work on top of the money, I would save the 20K for my house and stuff like that and build up my savings.

Now this is an example with black people in it, but I know some lazy Poor white trash that are also lazy and living off of FEMA.

McDOnalds offers a 500 per month bonus with a 1000 sign on bonus...so does Burger King. There is only one Taco Bell open in the entire east bank on Williams and West Esplanade and the line for lunch the other day was 45 min.

One last story. I visited a New Orlean stype deli restaurant in Metairie the other day. She had burgers and black beans and cold meats. She could not make chicken or other stuff because she could not hire a chef. She was willing to pay 12.00 per hour, but could not find someone who wanted the job. So she could only serve food that she could prepare a head of time.

Thank god for the laborers. This is why this dilemma is so interesting. We need laborers, Mexicans and latins are willing to work and Americans are not. However, we do not like the strain that they place on our State and Federal services.
 
They WERE non-provoking. After the gulf war, can you remember any instances in which they posed as any threat to us? They had no wmds. Their troops were weak. Saddam only cared about being greedy, not bringing down the US. Now theres a lot of bloodshed and pending civil war... And gas prices are at record levels...

Gaining leverage and influence is important, but invading countries and having people die needlessly is wrong. There are other ways such as through improving your own country first by educating more people and allowing the US to continue/become top powerhouses in research, development, technology...

cfdavid said:
You miss the point entirely. And the last time I checked Iraq was hardly a "non-provoking country" lol. Don't forget how our little difficulties with Sadaam's regime began. HE INVADED KUWAIT! Now that was a non-provoking country.

You don't have to agree with the fact that our guys are making a strategic move to gain a better hold on the worlds energy supply as a means of gaining leverage, gaining influence, and possibly even as a future means of self-defense. You can go on believing whatever it is you do believe.
 
yeah, its definitely a tough issue with good points on both sides. On one hand, you don't want your people to be screwed over and on the other, your nanny/landscapers/laborers do a fine job at fair prices... Being from H'town, you do realize that the mexican illegals are willing to do the hard labor that not even the middle class are willing to do. How many middle class people do you know mowing your law or doing hard labor constuction? Those are jobs nowadays that few people want. I think they should do the least amount possible to change the law currently. Tighter border patrol would be an improvement help though.


ThinkFast007 said:
here's a debate w/ Lou Dobbs and Jorge Ramos
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03/29/immigration/index.html (click on debate with b/w lou dobbs )

it's funny how whenever Lou asks any of these questions, Jorge completely circumvents them.

I think Lou is correct in that if we let the illegals stay (guest worker etc) the people that are going to hurt the most are teh MIDDLE CLASS. The rich absolutely LOVE having illegals here (why do you think both dems and a lot of reps love the idea of guest worker) cuz it's cheap labor.

Who friggin gets hurt. Middle class. Sure, inflation is driven down by having cheap labor, but as a result, the middle class workers dont have a platform to negotiate wages. Plus the social security, medicare,etc of the middle class is what's being soaked up by the ILLEGALs.

Sure you can tell the middle class, "get more educated, get anther degree!". but i ask you this, what the hell is that. I mean everyone does not have the desire, or the drive, and some would say the ability to become say a doctor, lawyer, engineer. I mean why would hte avg joe that worked at Ford Motor company benefit from getting another degree? Plus he might be in his mid 50's and cant really change careers.

additionally, i think it's such BS that ppl are making this into racial issue. What's the racial issue here? it's a matter of breaking the law. as lou says in his debate, mexican americans make over 50% of the LEGAL immigrants to this country. So there's no racism. if you come here legally, he we got no probs.

It's unfortunate, but the mid class is friggin gonna get slammed.
 
cubs3canes said:
Also the story of my life. Do not come to New Orleans if you want to leave. I met my wife while at Umiami undergrad and then we moved after the engagement to NOLA. I have not left..LSU-NO med school, Ochsner residency.

Hopefully NOLA job eventually.

The problem is that New Orleans women are hot and great in the sack. They may not be smart about where they want to live, but they are sure worth it. Ohh yeah, they can cook, raise kids and do it all (my wife still works to). SHe is the best.

Back to Louisiana politics..Nagin is a *****. Enough said. The mexicans have rebuilt my roof. I was talking to my African American roofer (the actual owner of the business). He told me that my crew would be mexican because all of his black workers have not returned. Eventhough he offered them bonuses and a place to live. They are all set in Memphis, Houston, Nashville, Jackson, MS, Miami, and whatnot with no job and FEMA money. He saw one of his old employees the other day day and offered what I thought was a great deal, but he declined. It just does not make any sense. If I was given 20,000 from FEMA to live and I could still work on top of the money, I would save the 20K for my house and stuff like that and build up my savings.

Now this is an example with black people in it, but I know some lazy Poor white trash that are also lazy and living off of FEMA.

McDOnalds offers a 500 per month bonus with a 1000 sign on bonus...so does Burger King. There is only one Taco Bell open in the entire east bank on Williams and West Esplanade and the line for lunch the other day was 45 min.

One last story. I visited a New Orlean stype deli restaurant in Metairie the other day. She had burgers and black beans and cold meats. She could not make chicken or other stuff because she could not hire a chef. She was willing to pay 12.00 per hour, but could not find someone who wanted the job. So she could only serve food that she could prepare a head of time.

Thank god for the laborers. This is why this dilemma is so interesting. We need laborers, Mexicans and latins are willing to work and Americans are not. However, we do not like the strain that they place on our State and Federal services.

It is a very tough situation. On one hand, what if the Mexican laborers were willing to work for $3.00 (obviously not the case)? If we had a truly open border (I guess it is already), Americans would never compete (or want to compete) at those wages. Then again, they are performing jobs that many people apparently don't want to do.

It's weird. When I was in high school and college, I worked summers for a landscaping company. When I started, we had zero Mexicans. We were all white guys in h.s. or college. Then, after our "generation" moved on to greener pastures (pun intended), the vast majority of the workers started to be Mexicans.

It's not like the owner of the company wanted to have communication problems with his guys. And he sure didn't need any hassles with guys that didn't have drivers licenses driving out to jobs. But, the fact is that all the younger Americans just don't want to do that stuff.

I just hope we're not seeing a reduction in work ethic in this country, and that the reason for Americans not doing that stuff is because of better opportunities in other lines of work, and not a resignation to some kind of social wellfare system.
 
SolidGold00 said:
Gaining leverage and influence is important, but invading countries and having people die needlessly is wrong. There are other ways such as through improving your own country first by educating more people and allowing the US to continue/become top powerhouses in research, development, technology...

I'm a huge proponent of the U.S. continuing to foster those areas in which we already succeed. But, our biotechnology companies can't really assert leverage over competing nations (yeah, it's a shame that the world works that way, but it does). However, controlling oil, which everyone relies on (including enemy power grids and personnel carriers) really allows one to exert influence. It's controlling the source of almost all things that are manufactured.

To make plastics, chemicals, steel (firing up the furnaces), fuel etc. you need oil. My point was that perhaps a longer term strategic direction (i.e. a reason for going to war in the middle east) in lieu of our severely compromised manufacturing base, is to control the "source".

I think that's very plausible.
 
soo...
since I'm a current events junkie.

what do you all think of the latest Congresswoman McKinney and her alleged 'altercation' w/ Capital City Police.

I think it's ridiculous that she is calling it racism. I was watching CNNvideo...there are 14 other Afr American Woman in Congress. There are some 43 or so Afr American Congress People. Why is it that this one woman has this repeated history of problems with authority (happened once before in 1998) and none of the other Afr Americans have problems? The answer is obvious, she wants to be treated as royalty and just walk in w/o being stopped. I'm sorry, but if she has a new hairdo or looks different, and I was the officier, i would probably ask too!

Personally, I think she should have a warrant for her arrest. What's the big deal. The officer (who apparently was white..but soo what) asked her for identification, since she was not wearing her lapel pin and apparently didnt look like she had in the past. So what does the officer do? Ask for identfication? Why couldnt this woman just show it? instead, she punches the officer on the chest? That's just BS!

I think this is a case and point of someone using the race card, way out of context. I mean jeez...what kind of ppl do we have in congress nowadays!
 
ThinkFast007 said:
soo...
since I'm a current events junkie.

what do you all think of the latest Congresswoman McKinney and her alleged 'altercation' w/ Capital City Police.

I think it's ridiculous that she is calling it racism. I was watching CNNvideo...there are 14 other Afr American Woman in Congress. There are some 43 or so Afr American Congress People. Why is it that this one woman has this repeated history of problems with authority (happened once before in 1998) and none of the other Afr Americans have problems? The answer is obvious, she wants to be treated as royalty and just walk in w/o being stopped. I'm sorry, but if she has a new hairdo or looks different, and I was the officier, i would probably ask too!

Personally, I think she should have a warrant for her arrest. What's the big deal. The officer (who apparently was white..but soo what) asked her for identification, since she was not wearing her lapel pin and apparently didnt look like she had in the past. So what does the officer do? Ask for identfication? Why couldnt this woman just show it? instead, she punches the officer on the chest? That's just BS!

I think this is a case and point of someone using the race card, way out of context. I mean jeez...what kind of ppl do we have in congress nowadays!


Like anyone else, she should be held accountable for her behavior. It really reflects on her character to play the race card (the easy way out) versus owning up to her mistake. I mean, come on!
 
cfdavid said:
Like anyone else, she should be held accountable for her behavior. It really reflects on her character to play the race card (the easy way out) versus owning up to her mistake. I mean, come on!
agreed...if next year as a resident i trolly on in with my white coat and the security guard doenst recognize me and asks me for my idea, which I refuse...but of course i turn around Mohamed Ali his as s .... i think the next words that woudl come out of my mouth would be, "would you like to supersize that?"

agreed...friggin...all of us would be held up to those same standards, so should this lady. i was watching CNN and saw the pictures of Congresswoman McKinney on Wolf BLitzers serires, dude she looks soooooooooo different in my opinion in the three pics that i saw of her. I never though thtat hair style made such a difference until i actually saw pics of her w/ 3 diff's hairdos lined side by side.
 
Argentus said:
I think some of you guys need to hang out with La Mara Salvatrucha who hold jobs as migrant construction workers during the day and then murder, rape and sell drugs at night. This might change your mind about some of the illegal aliens hardworking though they might be.

How about a crip or a blood? Dude, every race is going to have it's rotten apples and I challenge you to come up with a ratio of Mara Salvatrucha gang members to honest, hard-working latinos here in the US of A....my guess, probably < 0.01%.....just an edumacated guess though.
 
looks like she's gonna get canned. i think justice should be racially blind. Lady hit a police officer, she needs to face the consequences, regardless of her "High and Haughty" status as CNN proclaims.