Which would be more useful for someone becoming a physician-scientist: the Rhodes or Marshall Scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emulteapj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently in a strange dilemma...

Wanted to know whether someone in the field would consider the Rhodes or Marshall more useful? With the Rhodes, perhaps I could be more like Siddhartha Mukherjee, but with the Marshall, I'd be considered more "academic" than my Rhodes peers. I have to withdraw from one of these and wanted to know which I should go for.

Members don't see this ad.

Rhodes. Will be highly sought after when you apply to residency also.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Scholarships may help you get more prestigious residency positions or faculty appointments (maybe...), but have essentially zero bearing on publication output and grant funding. Those are the only important factors for becoming a physician scientist.

Reactions: 1 user
Why is anyone entertaining this question? It's absolutely ridiculous. It's also on-its-face disingenuous - the Rhodes requires a response as soon as it's awarded. You already made a choice.

Reactions: 2 users
I had to lol at this question. If only I had this problem. Either way, congratulations on these prestigious awards, OP.

Edit: This also reminds me of a memorable tweet for those interested below.

Last edited: