white coat ceremony--orientation at nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reviewing the orientation packet and creating my email account when I came across the white coat ceremony form...the order form. So I thought we didn't have this ceremony until like around graduation? Do we get our names on these coats? If so...thats kinda cool...heh. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah...we get our white coats during orientation...with our names on them. We have to wear them in clinic, I think, when we're treating patients.

I didn't see a scrub order form, though. Wonder if they're going to make us wear them.

I don't know about NSU, but I'm pretty sure the white coat ceremony is just a ceremonial thing, like a rite of passage (every school has a white coat ceremony i believe) In clinic, you'll be wearing scrubs, but that could be different for NSU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah at NSU we have a scrub dress code. D1's are hunter green, D2 navy blue, D3 Light Blue, D4 Light green. I'm about to start D3 year in a month, and to this point I've worn my white coat maybe twice. It's not mandatory for any class or clinic and to be honest most people don't wear it.

I've heard things from different people, such as you can choose to dress up formally w/ white coat in lieu of scrubs. Not sure what the deal is, I'm sure it depends on whats going on that day...but I think its cool we get our own jackets...yay!

Overall, the professors want us to wear or color designated scrubs for all classes. In the sim lab and clinic we have to wear scrubs, but in the lectures you can dress up and wear your white coat...it's much more comfortable to wear scrubs all day though (just my opinion ;) ).

WOW, are those the universal scrub colors for dental schools because Case uses the same scrub colors!

munbue said:
Yeah at NSU we have a scrub dress code. D1's are hunter green, D2 navy blue, D3 Light Blue, D4 Light green. I'm about to start D3 year in a month, and to this point I've worn my white coat maybe twice. It's not mandatory for any class or clinic and to be honest most people don't wear it.

I didnt get my packet yet....thats messed up. Do all you who got your packets live near NSU? like in the ft lauderdale area.

I live in tampa, I should have got it.

At UNMC (Nebraska), it says the white coat ceremony is for lab coats. The folks in clinic wear a different clinic coat/scrubs that the school pays for and launders.

I'm pretty sure the coat is for clinical and lab at Nova...but I could be wrong, do you all get your names on them too? Its like 94 bucks for 2 coats...outrageous! These best be good coats.

gator1210 said:
I didnt get my packet yet....thats messed up. Do all you who got your packets live near NSU? like in the ft lauderdale area.

I live I Boca Raton (25 minutes from school) and still haven't recieved my packet either. Although, I'm still scratching together the last $1000 deposit, so I'm guessing that might be the reason.

I paid all of my deposits and still haven't received an orientation packet!

flossin' said:
I paid all of my deposits and still haven't received an orientation packet!

thats weird, they might be doing it in alphabetical order

eh
ill wait

Members don't see this ad :)
gator1210 said:
thats weird, they might be doing it in alphabetical order

eh
ill wait

hey guys,

Yea i haven't received one yet either...ugh!!! I hope i get it soon because one of my friends already got one and she told me that we have to fill out a form that is due on May 1st. But I guess I'll wait till tomorrow

gator1210 said:

I live in Tampa, too! Are you going to school around here? Anyway, I received my packet on friday.

pateljd said:
hey guys,

Yea i haven't received one yet either...ugh!!! I hope i get it soon because one of my friends already got one and she told me that we have to fill out a form that is due on May 1st. But I guess I'll wait till tomorrow
What is this form due on may first? I got a letter telling me to go online where I printed off things like Lab coat order form, orientation attendance form, orientation schedule, student code of conduct agreement, immunization form, ect. Is this the same information that you guys got in your packet?

I live in Davie, across the street from NSU.

You can get the same info as in the packets by going to: http://dental.nova.edu/orientation/

You will need some of the documents under Pre-Doctoral Forms and the ones under Background Check Requirements.

Hey Coral,
I take it you currently go to NSU for undergrad? If so, how do you like it there? Any advice on buying a condo/apartment in the area...whats reasonable? Looking for a two bedroom.

I went to undergrad in Rhode Island and graduated in '05, but moved down here last summer because my husband goes to NSU...and I figured I'd apply to dental school while I was down here. We live really close to school at this apartment complex "Archstone Palm Trace Landings"... it's nice, but the rent isn't that cheap. Rent for a 2-bedroom here is like 1400-1500. There are tons of places to live around Davie...and the further you get from campus the cheaper it will be.

I've seen somewhat decent 2-bedroom condos around here for 250,000. Areas that are close to the school are Plantation, Pembroke Pines, Sunrise... and a few others. Traffic is not pleasant around here, especially during rush hour. So I would recommend looking for a place very close to school. I wouldn't want to commute every day in this kind of traffic.

Thanks for the info...I'll be taking a little trip down there pretty soon to check some places out...I'll be sure to live close by to campus...can't stand traffic.

Dutchboy said:
What is this form due on may first? I got a letter telling me to go online where I printed off things like Lab coat order form, orientation attendance form, orientation schedule, student code of conduct agreement, immunization form, ect. Is this the same information that you guys got in your packet?
I got my packet in the mail today I live in Utah. But the forms are exactly the same as the ones on the web. Except for the May 1st deadline I'm going to send mine back tomorrow to get it there in time.

I got mine today...It seems that the books are on CDs, so no used books which means no cashback or cheaper prices... and you have to buy their laptop.....

I love how universities can just charge so much...

I dont really care, because, you know what, the more NOVA charges me, the more I will have to charge my future patients.

Eh

Have any of you been getting billing invoices from the school? I understand it's just showing me my deposits but it's really confusing when there is stuff on there like
Past Due: -$500.00 and Total Due: -$1,000. Seems like they could make it a little less confusing. Also for those of you who have payed a deposit by credit card, what is the number and person you called to do so? I think I'm going to pay this next deposit by credit card and avoid the headache of certified mail. The last deposit I sent the post office in Flordia never scaned in my letter and the web sight just read recieved in South Jordan Utah. I was worried sick that they had lost my certified check in the mail and my deposit was late. When I went into the post office asking if they could tell me if my letter ever made it to Nova they said that all I could do is call the Ft. Lauderdale post office and ask them if they could track it from there. When I asked for the phone number they told me to look it up on the internet! I'm glad I paid the extra money to be able to track my mail! Anyways, Nova had recieved the check but the damn post office never scaned it in.

Has anyone registered for an email from Nova? Dr. Zarette's letter says to register for one, but I can't seem to do it. It says I am not fully admitted. Could this be because they are still waiting on the background check?

Nestow32 said:
Has anyone registered for an email from Nova? Dr. Zarette's letter says to register for one, but I can't seem to do it. It says I am not fully admitted. Could this be because they are still waiting on the background check?

you need to turn in all transcripts and deposits before admittance.

I established an email account yesterday...no problems, just give the school a call and see whats up.

gator1210 said:
you need to turn in all transcripts and deposits before admittance.

For those of you that have sent in all 3 deposits and have sent in all transcripts, have you been fully admitted?

Does anyone know when we start our loan process??? And when does the school's budget come out for next year?

flossin' said:
Does anyone know when we start our loan process??? And when does the school's budget come out for next year?

the budget already came out. the 2006-2007 tuition is int he admissions brochure at www.dental.nova.edu.

I havent sent my last deposit in yet

are the last deposits due on May 15?

Sackof said:
are the last deposits due on May 15?

Yes, the last deposit is due on May 15th

What is the deal with the NSU student issued laptop? Anyone know if it is top of the line?

dexadental said:
What is the deal with the NSU student issued laptop? Anyone know if it is top of the line?
From what I remember it is like a 3,000 dollar laptop. A Dell (something starting with a "l", like lesario or somthing like that)

Dutchboy said:
From what I remember it is like a 3,000 dollar laptop. A Dell (something starting with a "l", like lesario or somthing like that)

Its a latitude. I heard there is some flexibility in what price you pay for it based on other posters. Ive heard of nova students paying 1800-2400 for accidental care. I dont remember who said that, but it was on this forum.

Im gonna get the cheapest, cuz god knows technology is cheaper at staples than from dell and that technology depreciates like 35% a year.

Cyall next year

Do any of you know any Banks that offer no origination fee Stafford Loans to Nova Southeastern. I know National Education offers it, but not to NSU students.

If we go throught NSU's preffered lenders then we get charged 3% of stafford loan value.

IM just trying to cut costs

gator1210 said:
Do any of you know any Banks that offer no origination fee Stafford Loans to Nova Southeastern. I know National Education offers it, but not to NSU students.

If we go throught NSU's preffered lenders then we get charged 3% of stafford loan value.

IM just trying to cut costs
NEvermind...I found a few places. Like wachovia and bank of america all have no origination fees.

Also, I want to point out that if your late on the disbursement to NSU, you are responsible for the late fees. If you use NSU's preferred lender, then you arent if the money comes late.

Its worth the risk in my opinion

anybody else have any more info on the loans. i havent heard much from Nova about this. I went to Nova a few times, but i was only able to get help from Richard, the guy that sits on the reception desk in front of the financial aid office. have you guys started the process on your private loans? any tips on the private lenders? PM me if you want. Thanks!

I emailed Marjorie Bell to add me to the listserv, but haven't got any reply. Any info on what she has sent to you all?

Nestow32 said:
I emailed Marjorie Bell to add me to the listserv, but haven't got any reply. Any info on what she has sent to you all?
Ya, I didn't get any reply for that either. Actually I'm not too sure what it is even for. :confused:

Yeah, don't worry, no email back here either.

Hi Guys

I sent in all my deposits the moment I got my letter requesting me to do so and I still haven't received my packet of letters for the white coat ceremony. Should I be concerned? I called Nova and left a message and as usual they never return my calls. Am I the only one still waiting on these forms?

All the orientation information is available online. Go to dental.nova.edu, then click on current students and then orientation. Have you recieved the packet that had the backgroud check forms. Those forms were due on May 1st, I think. Either way, that's the last mailing I got. Good Luck and see you in the fall.

Yeah, I believe the next mass of forms are all due in on June first...
Waiting to hear about instruments and the laptop, so it is expensive over there in Ft.Lauderdale to live, what has everyone checked out?
See you all in the fall.

hey guys, i'm looking for someone to share a 2/2 apartment. i'm on the roommate finder page of Nova's off-campus housing website ( http://www.och101.com/nova/ ). i'm ad# 22909. write me an email or PM if you're interested.

On your "student requirements" on Webstar (under financial aid) does it still say student admittance required? I thought I read on here that once you paid your final deposit that that requirement would go away. Maybe I'm jumping the gun and they will change it soon. Anyway I'm going to call if it's not changed by tomorrow.

Hey guys, quick question for y'all:

When we had our interviews at Nova, after the tour, we were introduced to a lady who was the financial aid officer for the dental program. She gave a packet with financial aid info, as well as her business card. Does anyone have her information. I have a bunch of financial questions to ask and don't know who to turn to. Thank you for your help.

Dutchboy said:
On your "student requirements" on Webstar (under financial aid) does it still say student admittance required? I thought I read on here that once you paid your final deposit that that requirement would go away. Maybe I'm jumping the gun and they will change it soon. Anyway I'm going to call if it's not changed by tomorrow.

Mine is the same way. I just sent in my final transcripts, so I'm hoping that's all I need.

jmac44 said:
Mine is the same way. I just sent in my final transcripts, so I'm hoping that's all I need.
Let's hope. I'm sending in the rest of my papers and transcripts tomorrow.

Hey does anybody know what the "hospital insurance form" is? On the checklist it has that as something to send in but all I can find is the "health insurance form" and there is nothing to fill out on that.

Nestow32 said:
Hey guys, quick question for y'all:

When we had our interviews at Nova, after the tour, we were introduced to a lady who was the financial aid officer for the dental program. She gave a packet with financial aid info, as well as her business card. Does anyone have her information. I have a bunch of financial questions to ask and don't know who to turn to. Thank you for your help.

I couldn't find her card but main number on the financial aid packet is (954) 262-3380. Good Luck.