White Coat Ceremony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I would like to know if anyone of you went through the white coat ceremony, how was it like, what oath was taken and what do you think of it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, we had a white coat ceremony during the last day of orientation (our orientation to med school was 3 days long, Thu-Fri-Sat). We all recited the Hippocratic Oath. Actually, a slightly modified, more-modern version of it.

Is this ceremony common to all schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think some schools hold it at the beginning, others at the end.

Our whitecoat ceremony is held after we finish the didactic portion of our training, and before we go on to clinical rotations. It's cool.

i think all US medical schools now have white coat ceremonies for their 1st year med students either in the beginning of the year or at the end. this all started about a decade or so ago.

Michael

MS1
SUNY Downstate COM
Class of 2007

Ours was at the beginning of our first year. It was nice, good speaker, and fun for the families.

i am looking forward to the ceremony....its a chance to be a little self-congratulatory about this long application process and it marks your arrival in medical school....plus it allows family members to get a sense of how difficult, or at least how hard you worked, to get to where you are - sometimes I don't think they quite get it.

we had ours in november (of our first year). I think it meant more than it would have at the beginning/orientation, and it was a nice little "yay-us" to help get through the end of the semester.

I think most schools have the ceremony for first-years, a kind of congratulations to parents and students for making it into med school. Often the class recites part of the modified hippocratic oath. The white coat is a symbol of purity and virtue to your patient.

our white coat ceremony is held in October of M2 (we start some clinical stuff 2nd semester M2), and don't necessarily see why it would be done in M1 unless you get to do something clinical and actually wear your white coat! Anyway, it was a nice event with a couple of speakers and refreshments. My parents were more than happy to drive 2 hrs to come see me "coated". Most pople just had spouses/SO's/kids.

We had White coat at the end of orientation. Its nice for family members and a good way to end orientation. I was excited for white coat bc Ive waited for many yrs to finally put on the coat. We said the oath and took a lot of pics afterward. Think every med school in the country does it now.

ECU Med 07

Members don't see this ad :)
To hell with the "coating" ceremony. I'm looking foward to the "short white coat" burning ceremony we will have before graduation. (14 months and counting.)

Originally posted by phdmed07
We had White coat at the end of orientation. Its nice for family members and a good way to end orientation. I was excited for white coat bc Ive waited for many yrs to finally put on the coat. We said the oath and took a lot of pics afterward. Think every med school in the country does it now.

ECU Med 07

what do you do during orientation?

Originally posted by keraven
our white coat ceremony is held in October of M2 (we start some clinical stuff 2nd semester M2), and don't necessarily see why it would be done in M1 unless you get to do something clinical and actually wear your white coat! Anyway, it was a nice event with a couple of speakers and refreshments. My parents were more than happy to drive 2 hrs to come see me "coated". Most pople just had spouses/SO's/kids.
We had ours at the end of orientation, but it was super low-key. We actually wore it quite a few times during the first 2 years, various patient interviews, preceptorships, etc.

~do a search for this topic, there are 10-15 threads about this! ;)

All we did in orientation is was attend alot of meetings. A week was too long but I got to really get to know my classmates. We actually wear our coats at least once a month for our doctoring class when working with standardized patients. Other than that its fun to put on in the house every once in a while.

during orientation, we got thrashed really badly by the seniors.. were treated like crap and did alot of crappy stuff
does anyone of you constitute humping trees, pole dancing at the traffic lights at a busy intersection a good part of a medical school orientation?

Originally posted by ericdamiansean
during orientation, we got thrashed really badly by the seniors.. were treated like crap and did alot of crappy stuff
does anyone of you constitute humping trees, pole dancing at the traffic lights at a busy intersection a good part of a medical school orientation?

What on earth are you talking about?

I'm sure all of you had nice and memorable orientations where the seniors brought you out and all of you had nice, clean fun, perhaps to constitute something not so nice would be getting drunk, but heck, that's fine with me

During the orientation at my med school, the seniors were all out to get us. This was because the supposedly tradition was to thrash juniors and pelt them with the most disgusting stuff you could find and humiliate them.

The reasoning:
a) Pelting of disgusting, stinking stuff, some which were fermented trash which was prepared like a month ago and kept near the garbage dumb: My university does not offer dissection, and we only use models, so this was to teach us about the smells of 'dead bodies'

b) HUmiliation: There is hierachy in the hospital, and by humiliating us, they are teaching us humility

c) Sexual acts: To fulfil the sexual desires of some deprived seniors who study so much they don't have time for a sex life

Stimulating blow jobs, pole dancing around traffic lights (girls) during peak traffic, stimulated rape..were all the norm.

I was 'raped' by my other groups members, not that I'm like scarred for life or wat,but it's humiliating

what do yall think?

I

I was 'raped' by my other groups members, not that I'm like scarred for life or wat,but it's humiliating

what do yall think?

If you're at all serious, I'd say you're in the wrong place.

I'm sure all of you had nice and memorable orientations where the seniors brought you out and all of you had nice, clean fun, perhaps to constitute something not so nice would be getting drunk, but heck, that's fine with me

During the orientation at my med school, the seniors were all out to get us. This was because the supposedly tradition was to thrash juniors and pelt them with the most disgusting stuff you could find and humiliate them.

The reasoning:
a) Pelting of disgusting, stinking stuff, some which were fermented trash which was prepared like a month ago and kept near the garbage dumb: My university does not offer dissection, and we only use models, so this was to teach us about the smells of 'dead bodies'

b) HUmiliation: There is hierachy in the hospital, and by humiliating us, they are teaching us humility

c) Sexual acts: To fulfil the sexual desires of some deprived seniors who study so much they don't have time for a sex life

Stimulating blow jobs, pole dancing around traffic lights (girls) during peak traffic, stimulated rape..were all the norm.

what do yall think?

Dude...are you talking about jail or a fraternity.....cuz this is definetly not the norm

nope, it's my medical school..that's how things were done the last 10 years, and so, they are carrying it out based on continuing tradition. I don't think it was so bad in the first few years, because my school's only 11 years old and it's private, so, some idiots with brains get in and mess up the whole profession.

Last year, my class were the ones organizing it, and we put a stop to this. There were many, not from my class who disagreed with it, but we stuck to our principles. I almost got into a fight with an idiot who asked some juniors to hump trees. When I asked him why he did it, he denied it, he said that he just asked them 'wrap themselves around the tree, shake it real hard til the leaves fell off, and moan in pain'. After a while, he got pissed and his bunch of posse came to confront us.

This year, it went back to the same old tradition. Freshmen were pelted and humiliated, some had to eat worms and dog food to earn extra points.

Man, it's the medical school of hard knocks

hm, should i post a new thread more on the orientation, what it's actually like, and then see what yall have got to say about it

I'm a member of the student body, but nothing much can be done about it..because it seems that this goes on and on like a vicious cycle because those who got it,are hell bent on taking revenge when they have the chance

hmm..im not surprised at all given the fact that med students in most areas of asia are fresh graduates of high schools. but those things they had you done for sure were very wrong and anything to those effects that you were describing have long been outlawed in universities across the US. even the most notorious frats dont do that **** in broad daylight no more in this day and age. weird.

(in america people actually get paid good money to eat worms and dog food on national tv. have you seen Fear Factors?)

with all due respect ericdamiensean..

im from the same university and have pretty much gone through the same orientation as him. I know what he is talking about.. but i must say he has exagerrated alot and to put it in mild terms " made a mountain out of a molehill "

the purpose of orientation is mainly for icebreaking, to promote a sense of leadership, team spirit and above all to improve the junior senior relationship.

ericdamiensean has forgotten to mention what 90% of the orientation is about and has merely concentrate on 10% of it.. all of which are "exceptions" and actually events/proceeding which are completely banned by the university.

The seniors were NOT out to get us. on the contrary, the seniors were actually cooperating with the juniors to finish the various activities inclusive of treasure hunts, games and dances. SOME seniors did "rag" the juniors, but it was out of good fun with no harm intended on a general scale.

Pelting of disgusting stuff - most of it was actually harmless eggs and flour... but of course.. the "Stuff from Hell" which was fermented this and that was also thrown around. But this elicited more laughs and friendly " I'll get YOU !!'s " rather then anger and revenge.

Humiliation - i have no idea what ericdamiensean was talking about here.... of course ppl were not "happy" with the arduos tasks they need to complete to get through orientation ,but once again, this is orientation, and it was kinda rough here and there.

Sexual acts - this was something reserved for "certain" people by "certain" seniors. In actuality, it was nothing but some friendly jostling and wrestling rather then the way ericdamiensean described.

** there is a small level of truth to what he said, but then, this is bound to happen in any freshman orientation, not that i condone it of coure **

bottom line ericdamiensean. most ppl had good fun and friendly bonding in the orientation. some didnt like it. But this is the kicker. None of the "activities" and "event" were forced or imposed upon anyone. You had the free will to reject what you dont believe in.

IMU and Malaysian medical universities are among the best in Asia. period.

Varblade @ IMU 2007:clap: :clap: :clap:
Vijay Kumar Arrnaselam

but, the bottom line is..those things did happen, and we can't deny it..my school,no matter how inadequate it may seem, I still like it, am being thankful for getting accepted in and all,doing really fun stuff,but sometimes, the norm is not there

varblade,there's no use protecting people like these, and we have to have our stand, and it's unacceptable no matter what excuses they give

Quote : Varblade: Sexual acts - this was something reserved for "certain" people by "certain" seniors. In actuality, it was nothing but some friendly jostling and wrestling rather then the way ericdamiensean described.
Special Quote: nothing but some friendly jostling and wrestling

Reply: Try asking the ones who went through it

Quote Varblade: Humiliation - i have no idea what ericdamiensean was talking about here

Reply: Conflicted reply

Quote VArblade:there is a small level of truth to what he said, but then, this is bound to happen in any freshman orientation, not that i condone it of coure **

Special quote: there is a small level of truth to what he said

Reply: denial?

Special quote:this is bound to happen in any freshman orientation

Reply: Anyone else here who went through these?

Quote Varblade: IMU and Malaysian medical universities are among the best in Asia. period.

Reply: Agreed, and so are other schools, except those which accept really bad students, art students, and sell questions.The medical schools teach and provide the knowledge needed for a student, whether they are the best or not, it's relative. Some people can come from the best med school, but they can still suck at what they do.
http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ranking.htm (Reality check, I don't agree with them, but heck, I've no idea how they did it)

Anyway, I think this post should revert back to what I actually wanted a view on, which was about the 'white coat ceremony'

Orientation, be it good or bad, at the end of the day, I guess it's how we all look at it. When I had the chance, I wouldn't want it to happen to others, the cycle will go on and on
------------------------------------------
'Don't let the heart rule the head'

Starting MS-1 this August.

First person to "rape" me is getting the **** beat out of them. I don't care what happens next.

--Funkless

harmless eggs and flour??? im sorry to say but how is that done in good fun?

i suppose i just have a different defintion of what "fun" is - getting things thrown at me is not one of them

im going to definitely side with eric on this one

uh.. where do you go to med school?

i will like to REEMPHASISE.

i said.. ericdamiensean has not mentioned the 90% of what was done at our orientation..
he chose to emphasise on 10% of it.. and making it sound like THAT was how the orientation was done...

in other words.. he gave a wrong picture of what happened and i chose to fight such negative words of my uni.

i wonder why some ppl, given all the power, being in the student council and all.. couldnt solve this issue .. and now chooses to bring it up on a forum...

what did u intend to prove ericdamiensean? u wanna solve the problem? solve it.

" a little less conversation, a little more action "

for the record. i chose NOT to take part in the "activities" i didnt like. everyone had that free choice. IF they did decide to take part in whatever that happens, so its their call whether to play along, or to beat the bejuzzez outta the senior, etc etc.

pfft.

I don't really see what's the whole big deal here ... If your medical school seem to have this kind

of orientation, you still have a choice whether to take part in it or not.

Nobody can force you to take part in any of their activities ... throwing flour and all that may not

exactly be my idea of fun ... but then again, what's there to make a big deal about the whole

thing??

That's the way life is sometimes ... its not rosy all the time ... especially when you've decided to

take Medicine as a career ... they're gonna be lots of lots of other people or things which are

way worse than being thrown by flour or other things ... and if a minor orientation is still gonna

cause so much disentment in your life judging by the way you put it ... you're in for a very very

tough 30-40 years of your life

If you really unhappy about your university, in that sense, why are u still there anyway?? ... leave

the university ... study somewhere else ... personally, I don't believe in dissing the university

where I study ... because no matter what happens, the university has given me a chance at

education

Besides, the whole issue has already passed ... why bring it up again and start ranting about

this and that concerning the orientation ... take it as a pinch of salt ... and the end of the day,

you are who you choose to be ... you don't have to continue the 'tradition' as you said, if you

don't like it ... neither do you need to be a super-hero trying to change the world ... get on with

your life ... study!!

Let's just get back to main topic of "white coat ceremony" ... ;)

Below the belt

Dude,these are what opinions are all about

Originally posted by Varblade

for the record. i chose NOT to take part in the "activities" i didnt like. everyone had that free choice. IF they did decide to take part in whatever that happens, so its their call whether to play along, or to beat the bejuzzez outta the senior, etc etc.

so did they have an itinerary of the day which showed up as:

12:00pm - Luncheon with the Dean

1:00pm - Humping trees

2:00pm - Egg and flour toss

??

itenary?

why do u need an itenary to decide whether u wanna do something or not?

free choice can be done anytime anywhere....

4 Ever, do u realise that free choice is a human right ? and... intelligence of making a free choice is a must esp for someone whos gona save a human being's life ?

Don't all school orientations have itineries?

example:

2 p.m. get ID pictures taken
3 p.m. library intro
4 p.m. get class schedule

Itineries are good, so that you don't miss/forget the important things.

This reminds me of something that was on Jay Leno a few years back. He was doing newspaper headlines and one of them was "Nude male arrested for humping stop sign" from a college newspaper crime reports section. He later had the stop sign humper on the show.

Here is the kicker though. It was my college that this all happened at. Apperantly this frat guy was real drunk and got naked outside his frat house when some buddies dared him to do a pole dance on a stop sign. Well the campus cops pull up and what do they see, a naked man humping a stop sign.

There was a female friend of mine in college who was from Texas and was always making fun of how stupid people from Arkansas were. In fact she had a scrapbook of stupid Arkansas people and the highlight was the "stop sign humper" newspaper clipping. She later dated the guy for over a year:laugh: :laugh:

I later had a biology class with the guy, dumb as rocks.

People: Try to get back to the topic aight? White Coat Ceremony

Anyway,at my place,we don't have luncheons with the dean. only about 1% of our 1100 population of medical students ever get to have lunch with the dean. of course, as in other places, there are the gunners/boot lickers who cook for lecturers and invite them over to their houses for dinners etc. it doesn't really work, because all we have on our test papers are our ID numbers,and not names.unless it's clinical exams where the lecturers/clinicians actually get to see who you are

We have itineries. Besides being a guide, we know what we need to do, if not,there'll be nothing to do,and we don;t get lost,and have a set time to be oriented.

The itinery:
a)Welcome Speech
b)Lectures and more speeches ie.induction stuff
c)Orientation (Along the way, those stuff might happen)

No fool would put 'flour and eggs' in the itinery, but someday it might happen

'Save the person who's lying there, on the brink of death, even though he's your worst enemy' I think some oaths have this in them..do we get to chose? heck, and in the bible, 'love your enemy'? I've read before in some cases, if a drunk driver kills/injures someone but he survives, docs actually pump them up with some drugs/anes which react with the alcohol and cause them to suffer like hell though it doesn't kill them. The drunkard actually said it was 'burning inside him like hell' though the doc said that it was to kill any infection

Yo BiggMAnn79, you've got clips of that? It's quite funny. My friend in Uni Melb said that at one of the stations, they had the option of the whole group to strip naked for extra points. Some did it. I would like to be there to watch

:clap: :D :laugh:

Dumb people are everywhere. in med school, i think the dumbest are those who do not know/too proud to say the 3 most important words : I DON'T KNOW
They have egos bigger than their brains.
They go around bossing whoever lets them boss them, and show that they know this and that, when they know nuts. and the 2nd level of idiocy would be the people who actually believe and worship them.:D :D

ericdamiensean ur skewing the conversation to prove your irrelevant point..

first of all it is you who started the " at MY school, orientation is scrwed up shiat "

secondly

itenary typically is

1 - 2 = adress by dean
2 - 3 = talks by the librarian'
4 - 5 = orientation group discussion
5 - 6 = icebreaker games

now.. its pretty obvious that the first 2 items are gona be clean and pretty much serious stuff.. u learn bout uni/class/stuff
-- at my uni ... EVERYONE in the batch attend this

4 - 5 group discussion ... normally 80-90% attend this ... its an initial discussion between the various groups members of an orientation group ( batch is divided into small grps).. this is clean and is mostly a pre-meet to find out what the activities are about..

5 - 6 icebreaker games... ppl are mostly aware that this will include "challenges" to foster cooperation and teamwork among students. only 50 % actually come for this. Sure its not gona be clean.. and Sure some ppl DO NOT like the idea of getting dirty... and SURE... u can.. at that point choose to quit. The point is, most ppl go through it.. its a phreagin orientation.. if u quit at difficulty on the first day.. that says alot about u. maybe its an Asian thingy.

ANd.. my point about free choice is this.
senior : ericdamiensean... go hump the tree and ill give u extra points.
ericdamiensean : duh.. not gona do that
* that is ericdamiensean using his free choice.. another example ill give here..

senior : bootlicker... go hump the tree and ill give u extra points
bootlicker : which tree? the one in the middle of the street there ?

friends... i really dont want to continue this discussion.. if u all think my uni's orientation is " not proper ".. i cant stop u. i had my issues with it.. but i chose to keep it closed doors and try to overcome from within.. unlike some ppl :p.. adieu...

Varblade+pity+

Originally posted by Varblade
itenary?

why do u need an itenary to decide whether u wanna do something or not?

free choice can be done anytime anywhere....

4 Ever, do u realise that free choice is a human right ? and... intelligence of making a free choice is a must esp for someone whos gona save a human being's life ?

actually i was just poking fun of the situation - not suggesting that what I listed was really what was on the agenda for the day.

Also, regarding free choice... i doubt you would have much of a choice of getting hit in the head with an egg if i just throw it at you.... unless you want to state that you chose to stand in the way of the egg coming in your direction.

Though i agree that icebreaker games can be fun, i dont see which group would have egg/flour throwing, humping trees, etc etc as an icebreaker. it is demeaning and unacceptable for future doctors to degrade their fellow classmates in such a manner