fytnowl05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
Houston, TX/ Columbia, MO
Status
It's soon to come for many of us!!! Are you excited? Has anyone ever been to a ceremony before? Is it that big of a deal? I mean, I am excited about entering med school...please don't get me wrong....but for those who have seen one before....is it something that I should tell my parents to book flight tickets to observe?

JuicyDay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2004
Status
fytnowl05 said:
It's soon to come for many of us!!! Are you excited? Has anyone ever been to a ceremony before? Is it that big of a deal? I mean, I am excited about entering med school...please don't get me wrong....but for those who have seen one before....is it something that I should tell my parents to book flight tickets to observe?
it would be exciting... except that U of Illinois people that did not get into chicago will not get theirs until their 2nd year!! sucks!! no patients for us our first year. yeah, i'm a bit peeved about that.

and i think that parents do come down for that; it's a pretty big deal.

Anandimide

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
My white coat ceremony last year was pretty cool (my parents did book a flight and come see it), but after the ceremony I think I used it maybe 5 times my whole first year and felt like an imposter the entire time. The ceremony is pretty cool tho, it symbolizes what you've worked for to get to that point and the commitment you're about to undertake.

fytnowl05 said:

spongebob_sq

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Status
I've heard that most schools have one of these for 1st year students. Is this true even if they don't offer patient contact in the 1st year?

CanuckRazorback

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2004
Hog Heaven
Status
spongebob_sq said:
I've heard that most schools have one of these for 1st year students. Is this true even if they don't offer patient contact in the 1st year?
Some schools do it the second year. Someone mentioned UIllinois outside of Chicago. I know Mcgill does their ceremory in the fall of second year.

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
If I'm not mistaken, I think most schools do the white coat ceremony at the start of, during, or at the end of 1st year....Im pretty excited, it does have a lot of symbolic meaning....also I feel as if its harder to get into med school than it is to graduate....not to say that graduating is easy, but we're all capable of graduating once we're in....

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
I believe that Michigan has theirs early in 1st year, cuz apparently there's lots of patient contact there! I'm also very looking forward to getting my stethoscope, but I guess I have to buy that.

I'm way excited. I've started practicing taking peripheral pulses on my roommate.

trouta

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2002
Seattle, WA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My parents were at my ceremony but probably only because it was part of the parents weekend. I thought the whole thing was going to be a lot more exciting than it really was. In retrospect I dont think I would have my parent buy a plane ticket again (then again it sucks being the only one without parents there).

Dont get me wrong, it is kind of an honor and a right of passage but in the grand scheme of things its importance kind of dwindles.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
DianaLynne said:
I believe that Michigan has theirs early in 1st year, cuz apparently there's lots of patient contact there! I'm also very looking forward to getting my stethoscope, but I guess I have to buy that.

I'm way excited. I've started practicing taking peripheral pulses on my roommate.
Diana, where are you going to school? Michigan?

NickPapagiorgio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
Status
You sit around in a room, listen to some speakers and put on a jacket. Sorry to say but it wasn't a big deal. My parents came but they only live an hour away. They would have probably come even if they had to fly in but it would have been a waste.

Tra La La

Motorcycle Dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Caleefornia
Status
NickPapagiorgio said:
You sit around in a room, listen to some speakers and put on a jacket. Sorry to say but it wasn't a big deal.
Like a graduation, the white coat ceremony is a symbolic rite of passage.

Sorry to sound like a trite adage, but this ceremony means a lot to some people (not necessarily myself).

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Tra La La said:
Like a graduation, the white coat ceremony is a symbolic rite of passage.Sorry to sound like a trite adage, but this ceremony means a lot to some people (not necessarily myself).
absolutely and after so much hard work and struggles I think parents would not want to miss it (I know mine will insist on being there) and i'd be honored to have them there...i couldn't have done it without them. I'd also want my brother and gf there.

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
Psycho Doctor said:
Diana, where are you going to school? Michigan?
It's looking like Michigan might be it. Of course I'm still anxiously awaiting a few interview results, but if they say nay, I could be happy in Ann Arbor. I will certainly keep you posted.

Tra La La

Motorcycle Dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Caleefornia
Status
Psycho Doctor said:
absolutely and after so much hard work and struggles I think parents would not want to miss it (I know mine will insist on being there) and i'd be honored to have them there...
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: