Who else here has parents who are physicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My dad is a cardiologist working in private practice

Members don't see this ad.

no my dads an accountant and mom used to be a cashier

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to figure out the purpose of this thread . . .

Reactions: 17 users
Nimble, I do feel for you because sometimes (like this) I really do think you mean well but it always comes across as a troll/spam thread.

Reactions: 10 users
Nimble, I do feel for you because sometimes (like this) I really do think you mean well but it always comes across as a troll/spam thread.
I wish I could delete the threads that annoy people :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Just ask your cardiologist dad for 30 bucks to buy a gold donation for SDN. That's how I deleted my embarrassing thread
Yeah but then you have to pay money which means you'll be identified which means I would be paranoid all application cycle

I have some questions: How do you feel your father being a Doctor affects your desire to become one? Do you feel that you want to be a cardiologist as well?

Dont like half of med students have a physician parent?

Reactions: 1 user
Dont like half of med students have a physician parent?
This was discussed somewhere in a thread talking about nepotism vs AA :rolleyes:. Can't remember source... but I thought that only 20% (only lol) have phys parents

Last edited:
I'd say about 10-20% of the people I interview have a clinician parent.
Makes sense. It's much easier to be successful when your parents are / provide a lot for you.

I'm definitely a product of it and I am very thankful for everything they've given me and I'm trying to re-pay them by not being a ****up myself lol

Reactions: 1 users
Makes sense. It's much easier to be successful when your parents are / provide a lot for you.

I'm definitely a product of it and I am very thankful for everything they've given me and I'm trying to re-pay them by not being a ****up myself lol
LOL MCAT is a very unfriendly cat indeed, 13 II's are you in interview stage now?

LOL MCAT is a very unfriendly cat indeed, 13 II's are you in interview stage now?
lol agreed. And yeah I've had two already and have 11 scheduled over the next 6 weeks. Should be fun :)

lol agreed. And yeah I've had two already and have 11 scheduled over the next 6 weeks. Should be fun :)
I was totally unprepared for the my first one and I could barely imagine myself taking on more than that when I returned home. I want to do a re-do so badly cause I felt that was one of my weakest performances. Holding onto the hope that I get more than 1 II. To think everyone on sdn said it was going to be chill...lies.

Go read my post on guide to interviews, and practice makes s=perfect!

Good luck to you and Gus!

I was totally unprepared for the my first one and I could barely imagine myself taking on more than that when I returned home. I want to do a re-do so badly cause I felt that was one of my weakest performances. Holding onto the hope that I get more than 1 II. To think everyone on sdn said it was going to be chill...lies.

Reactions: 2 users
Can you elaborate on what sucked about it/what you would've done better? Unless it's something already covered in @Goro guide. Imma read that in a bit.

You got interviews for all your II's?? impressive. That's gonna cost though...

I am the first in my family to go into healthcare. Dads a chemist, most of the rest of my family is either a lawyer or a professor

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can you elaborate on what sucked about it/what you would've done better? Unless it's something already covered in @Goro guide. Imma read that in a bit.

You got interviews for all your II's?? impressive. That's gonna cost though...
The cost of interviewing pales in the comparison to the cost of re-applying + a year of lost income. Apply once, apply broadly, and apply successfully. Your bank account in the long run will thank you for it.

This was discussed somewhere in a thread talking about nepotism vs AA :rolleyes:. Can't remember source... but I thought that only 20% (only lol) have phys parents

A school I visited recently said more than 40% of their class have a phys parent. Several of them work at the school and were on stage to give their kid the white coat.

Also first in my family to go into healthcare. My sister and I will be the first in our family to graduate from college. My dad is the manager of a dealership, my step mom is a hair stylist, and my mom is currently unemployed.

However I do have 2 cousins who are planning on going to med school as well. One is currently applying.

Sent from my A0001 using SDN mobile

Raised by my dad, a disabled combat veteran. First in my family to graduate high school, go to college, etc. He hasn't been able to help me figure out college or medical school but sometimes I wonder if having a physician parent would really be much more helpful. Maybe in terms of financial support, or clinical exposure?

I wonder if having a physician parent would really be much more helpful
I've seen people get shadowing and clinical jobs (research asst) because they had a connection through a physician parent. Probably helps make sure you know what to do to get into med school, too. But yeah as far as good grades, MCAT, volunteering, and basic science research experience, I don't think it's any big advantage

I've seen people get shadowing and clinical jobs (research asst) because they had a connection through a physician parent. Probably helps make sure you know what to do to get into med school, too. But yeah as far as good grades, MCAT, volunteering, and basic science research experience, I don't think it's any big advantage

Inheritance of general intelligence also helps :naughty::naughty:

Helps insofar as being wealthy in general helps for all of those things

Reactions: 3 users
Can you elaborate on what sucked about it/what you would've done better? Unless it's something already covered in
I think Goro covered it all but a word to the wise, I think it would really help if you could anticipate arriving near your interview location an hour prior to your scheduled time. You can tour the area or sit in your car and talk with someone on the phone or read a nice literature. I wud also practice a bit on some fairly common questions and just get your brain moving. I personally think that my interview group seemed a bit competitive, assessing each other based on our background for which I wish I had the opprtunity to go use the restroom and freshen up in between lol. Best to simply keep mum until your interview ends.

I am the first in my family to go into healthcare. Dads a chemist, most of the rest of my family is either a lawyer or a professor

I'm the second in my family to go to college. My dad was a cop for 20+ years then went to law school. My younger sister went to college after me and now is in a clinical psych PhD program. My mom was a legal secretary before she retired.

No one in my extended family is a physician. No one in my extended family from my previous generations has a degree, except for my dad who has a bachelor's. In fact, I don't think anyone from my dad's side of the family even finished high school, except for my dad. So when y'all say so and so in your family is a physician/PhD/lawyer/professor, I'm just like :cyclops:

Reactions: 4 users
No one in my extended family is a physician. No one in my extended family from my previous generations has a degree, except for my dad who has a bachelor's. In fact, I don't think anyone from my dad's side of the family even finished high school, except for my dad. So when y'all say so and so in your family is a physician/PhD/lawyer/professor, I'm just like :cyclops:

Yeah, I hear you. My dad is a lawyer now, but he wasn't in the picture much once I hit high school, which is when he went to law school. My sister and I are the only ones sort of present in the family that have pursued higher education. Kind of different flying by the seat of your pants.

First one to graduate high school in my extended family. I had to work to pay bills in high school and didn't qualify for pell because I made ~ 19 k per year. Mom's bad credit meant no student loans. So I worked two jobs to put myself through community college and get an allied health degree. After working a couple of years, I picked up 2-3 jobs and went back for my BS and took the MCAT.

I can't imagine how easy all of this would have been with wealthy parents. But my kids won't have to worry about that.

Both parents are surgeons in private practice, helps a lot with this whole pre-med process. Blessed that I'll graduate med school with 0 debt

Last edited: