Who here actually loves med school/residency/being a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Enjoying medical school is the BIGGEST asset you have. I attribute 90% of my success to enjoying medical school, trying to live up to the passion I promised I had in my personal statement, and working hard every day to just be a good person and a good medical student. Forgive yourself for your faults, you'll have many. But always be pushing yourself to be a better student. The way you can keep pushing yourself is to enjoy yourself and allow yourself to be passionate; don't be one of those "too cool" aloof med students who act like they're already jaded. You've got a good life - enjoy it.

Members don't see this ad.

The dude is never too cool right? He just is...

Hated first year, liked second year, mostly disliked third year, mainly because I'm pretty jaded about how the grading system works. Its also frustrating being the lowest on the totem pole.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's been good so far. I would say that I am more interested/excited about medicine than when I started a year ago, take that how you will.. this summer is gonna be pretty sweet too. :thumbup:

You can believe me or not, your choice. I LIKE med school in terms of the education and some of the courses are really cool. I like going to the Anatomy lab and teaching med students. I DON"T like a lot of the med students that have a distaste for med school and complain everyday or post it as their status on fb. Honestly, I came into med school thinking I'll meet some people who I can talk to about certain things, but I find that the more you show your interest and enthusiasm, the more you are hated here. Therefore, I just keep it under-wraps and only show it to certain friends and professors.

The nail that sticks out will get hammered down is the motto. So stick out in clinicals when it counts.

Compared to a lot of people I know who are having a much harder time than I am, I enjoy and am thankful for even being in med school.

You can believe me or not, your choice. I LIKE med school in terms of the education and some of the courses are really cool. I like going to the Anatomy lab and teaching med students. I DON"T like a lot of the med students that have a distaste for med school and complain everyday or post it as their status on fb. Honestly, I came into med school thinking I'll meet some people who I can talk to about certain things, but I find that the more you show your interest and enthusiasm, the more you are hated here. Therefore, I just keep it under-wraps and only show it to certain friends and professors.

The nail that sticks out will get hammered down is the motto. So stick out in clinicals when it counts.

Compared to a lot of people I know who are having a much harder time than I am, I enjoy and am thankful for even being in med school.

me too! glad anatomy's over though. yes, mindless memorization sucks... but i'm still happy to be here, part of this community. it feels right.

me too! glad anatomy's over though. yes, mindless memorization sucks... but i'm still happy to be here, part of this community. it feels right.

Hating biochem, loving anatomy, dealing with histology... But this person said it all. It feels right. I couldn't imagine myself being happy doing anything other than this. Sure, it sucks sometimes, and I don't even wanna imagine how it will be for Step I, but we all made it this far... There is nothing stoping us from going those extra miles. If other people did it, why wouldn't we?

Hurrah, I think along the same lines as you but I am pretty open about how much I enjoyed medical school. I don't know, I guess I just come from a background where there is little room for complaining. My parents had NOTHING and worked their a$s off to give me everything. I grew up in dirt poor conditions. How can I not appreciate what I have now? I guess it's all about perspective.

I'm having a pretty good time as a first year.

...probably because I don't go to campus anymore. I sleep late, go the the gym, watch TV, and spend the rest of the day alternating between studying/Facebook/hanging out/whatever. I actually end up studying way more than when I went to class (got up early, didn't really pay attention, was sleepy/took a nap in the afternoon, felt like I did more than I actually did).

Sure, it's a ton of work, but I'm rarely required to be anywhere. I recognize the value of this and appreciate it.

Yeah and this will NEVER happen again ever

I've loved med school. Almost every minute of it. Yes, it's had its rough times - anatomy lab, boards studying, getting up at 4 AM on my surgery rotation - but most of the time the positives far outweighed the negatives. Even though I've worked much harder for more hours in med school, I've enjoyed it so much more than undergrad, because I can see the relevance of the work to my future career (while the same could not be said for undergrad calculus and electromagnetic physics). And it keeps getting better and better as the years go on and my end goal of becoming a physician gets closer and closer. First and second year were fine since I found the material mostly interesting, third year was a lot of fun finally getting to work with patients, and fourth year has been a blast now that I'm doing rotations in areas that I'm really interested in. I hope I'll be able to say the same thing about residency!

Probably the greatest 4 years of my life.

1st year rivaled some of my greatest college memories since nothing mattered.
2nd year was the first time in my life I actually cared about what I was learning
3rd year I grew emotionally like never before
4th year.....just wow

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a lot of people around who are prematurely jaded and negative. They think it makes them worldly and sophisticated, but the real effect is something like a 12 year old dressed like a hooker and smoking a Newport...kind of pathetic.

I'm enjoying myself so far. There is stress and frustration sometimes, but also lots of confirmation that I'm in the right place. And I personally know working physicians who are happy and fulfilled, enjoy their work and volunteer for more on the weekend, so I don't buy that it must just be starry-eyed naivete talking.

Love it. Wouldn't give it up for anything.

I think a lot of people complain/hide their enthusiasm in fear of being perceived as this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQsPC2n4T6Q&feature=player_embedded - you know, but for med school.

Caution - contains adult language (i.e., the same language as Cee Lo's current hit)

Last edited:
I think a lot of people complain/hide their enthusiasm in fear of being perceived as this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQsPC2n4T6Q&feature=player_embedded - you know, but for med school.

Caution - contains adult language (i.e., the same language as Cee Lo's current hit)

I think the video is targetting those who try too hard and won't shut up in class. Not necessarily the same as those who love medical school but I see the misperception often.

Funny though, the people who would not shut up in my class during 1st and 2nd years are the same ones who complain the most third and fourth year.

I think the video is targetting those who try too hard and won't shut up in class. Not necessarily the same as those who love medical school but I see the misperception often.

Funny though, the people who would not shut up in my class during 1st and 2nd years are the same ones who complain the most third and fourth year.

I agree that's whom it's targeting but I think some people who are genuinely enthusiastic may temper or even mask that enthusiasm (with complaints) so as not to be perceived a brown-noser. Because, as you can see, it's socially unacceptable.

I agree that's whom it's targeting but I think some people who are genuinely enthusiastic may temper or even mask that enthusiasm (with complaints) so as not to be perceived a brown-noser. Because, as you can see, it's socially unacceptable.

Agree. It's like high school all over again. :rolleyes:

Really? I don't entirely disagree, but I'd think that is true for different reasons -- the little nest of gossipy people that act like they probably did in high school, etc.

Edit: Was just stressed out earlier. It's actually not so bad :)

Last edited:
I absolutely love med school and know plenty of people who feel the same way. I think the downers are just more vocal.

I'm a first year, o wizened one.

Nah, I'm only one year ahead of you. I just very rarely meet people who absolutely love med school. Like it well enough, glad to be doing it, sure -- just not enchanted with it.

More power to you, for sure. Hope you keep lovin' it. :thumbup:

Hated first year other than the (little bit of) clinical exposure I got + some research.
Like second year A LOT more as this stuff is actually interesting to learn (I like oncology). A lot more clinical exposure as well + more research has made me happier.

Looking forward to finishing up Step 1 and getting out of the classroom. Some of my classmates say I'm negative at times, but it's me venting my frustrations at how our education can be improved.

Time management has allowed me to do a lot during second year, which includes going out when I want for the most part. I still have time to go to the beach even though it's a couple hour drive, lol.

Wow, lots of encouraging words going on here. Def gonna keep this thread on file for when i'm feeling a little bit down/stressed about med school...

as I sit here and study for my pathophys. test in 3 hrs...I have to say that while I haven't exactly loved med school, I have had some really enjoyable times in the last 2 years. 1st yr was fun because of the constant post test partying (we had tests every 3-4wks so while it sucked to study the wk or 2 after was a lot of fun and relaxing). 1st block 2nd yr was also awesome because our tests were much more spread out (2 every 6 wks) so for 3-4 out of those 6 wks I had time to have a life, go out, see family and friends, take a wknd vacation etc. 2nd block has been much more sucky mostly because of boards looming in a couple months. In addition to this, the material got more and more clinical and thus more and more interesting as time progressed. That has helped with studying immensely because now I don't feel like I'm learning largely inconsequential material.

Also I think your experience in med school is largely dependent on what else is going on in your life. If you can manage to bust your ass when you need to but also have a life with hobbies and people outside of med school I think you will largely be impressed with how enjoyable life can be. I'll come back in a year to assess what 3rd yr does to this positive attitude I have lol.

Well even if you don't like the rotation you're on, at least you're rarely if ever bored. Most jobs the time moves so slowly.

I'm graduating in May and going into internal medicine. Love doesn't even begin to describe it. Every day I feel grateful that I'm in this field rather anything else. I hated first year because of all the intra-class drama, but the busier and more clinical I got the more I loved what I did.

Most people here are gonna bitch and whine because, as many previous posters have pointed out, it's a selection bias. The people who are having a good time aren't gonna bother ranting at an internet forum--they're out enjoying themselves.

My advice: Developing a good social network of family, friends (in and outside of med school), significant other, pet, etc. Keep close with all of them all through even your busiest months. I find med school is when I really pared my social circle down to the people who REALLY matter in my life, rather than a large circle of people I'm just friendly with. Still leave some me-time even in third year to do what YOU really enjoy.

Whats it going to take for a Mod to ban this guy already. Seriously.

Do you honestly think I should be banned for just posting a link to a website that could be helpful to people? Do you think this is actually more inappropriate than other comments people post on these forums? We're all very familiar with the external pressures in med school that sometimes prevent us from speaking our minds. A lot of people in medicine are unhappy- with their jobs, their lifestyle etc. Problem is we're not communicating to our classmates and other relevant parties about these issues. I think the site is an interesting idea, that's it. If you don't want to check it out, nobody's forcing you. I definitely don't think I deserve to be "banned" for this.

You've posted the exact same link in several threads incluing a step-1 prep thread. At this point, i'm begining to think you work for the website and are just advertising your product as opposed to being a fellow student sharing a resource.
A new user and ALL your posts except this response have been to promote a website smells fishy to me.

I definitely don't think I deserve to be "banned" for this.

The main SDN forums are not to be used for advertising other websites without approval. I have PMed you regarding appropriate resources for getting the word out about your site.

Please do not continue this off-topic argument in this thread and PM me if there are any questions.

Exactly, but I guess this is just a guy that sits in front of the class and answers all the questions. These people don't bother me as long as they answer and not ask. Asking interrupts lecture time.

All in all, there are students who genuinely like medical school, but they are incognito for fear of being criticized like this guy.

So there are people in med school that understand social colloquialisms.

FTR I really love my medical school.... I honestly think it is more fun than Undergrad was.... Then again, my class is VERY social and we have a lot more "doctoring" time than most schools do.

I was talking to a surgeon today and he told me to quit med school. I told him I had gotten a job offer at a pharmaceutical, and he said "yeah you should quit med school and take it."

I don't know what to think?

I was talking to a surgeon today and he told me to quit med school. I told him I had gotten a job offer at a pharmaceutical, and he said "yeah you should quit med school and take it."

I don't know what to think?

If you have any doubt already, then quit.

If you have any doubt already, then quit.

This statement scares me! :eek:

Isn't doubt part of the process? Can anyone progress all the way through medical school without moments or phases of doubt?

~Kalyx

This statement scares me! :eek:

Isn't doubt part of the process? Can anyone progress all the way through medical school without moments or phases of doubt?

~Kalyx

Sure you'll have moments, but not enough to completely consider dropping out especially when you're in third year (guy above). This is why the interview process for med schools is so brutal because they want to make sure students actually want to STAY in med school.

People are pissed because they were scammed by medschools into investing six figures of debt in a do-it-ya-self scheme with lots of pain, anguish, and uncertainty along the way. You think the med student who entered school with the hopes of becoming a dermatologist might not be pissed when he/she lands in family med at the end. Believe it or not, only a small subset of medstudents end up doing what they truly want to do, another subset lie to themselves and others that they found a new passion, and the last group are down right pissed.

People are pissed because they were scammed by medschools into investing six figures of debt in a do-it-ya-self scheme with lots of pain, anguish, and uncertainty along the way. You think the med student who entered school with the hopes of becoming a dermatologist might not be pissed when he/she lands in family med at the end. Believe it or not, only a small subset of medstudents end up doing what they truly want to do, another subset lie to themselves and others that they found a new passion, and the last group are down right pissed.

Could we get some context for this? I'm just curious as to where you are in medicine now and what has led you to think as you do.

There's a lot of people around who are prematurely jaded and negative. They think it makes them worldly and sophisticated, but the real effect is something like a 12 year old dressed like a hooker and smoking a Newport...kind of pathetic.

Or some of them might be genuinely miserable.

I really really hated the first two years of med school. Those were two of the most awful years of my life. I didn't think that my misery made me look worldly and sophisticated; my misery made me sad, tired, and lonely. I fantasized daily about quitting medical school; as MS1 progressed, I fantasized about dying. Yes, it was absolutely that bad.

I can't stand sitting in a classroom, having irrelevant information thrown at my head. And the "touchy-feely" classes took away my motivation to be a doctor. I don't retain information in the lecture format well, so I had to study harder than some of my classmates did, leaving me little free time to do much else.

So, have some compassion for the people who are jaded and negative so early on. Perhaps they do think that it makes them look sophisticated; but some of them may be genuinely disenchanted and frustrated. Don't look down on them because they lack the enthusiasm that you have; try and understand where they're coming from.

There were a lot of people like you in my med school class, who told me to "snap out of it," and "count your blessings that you're in medical school." I found their narrow-minded attitude to be "pathetic." Not everyone likes medical school, not everyone will like residency, and not everyone will like being a physician. And that's ok.

I realize that I'm new here, but I've been reading a lot of threads about how much they dislike med school, or residency or being an attending or the whole job. I'll be in the class of 2013 and I was wondering if anyone had positive experiences because if not, I need to think about alternatives. Thanks!

Well, I think we've already established that I hated MS1 and MS2.

I actually really liked MS3. It was the first time during med school that I was actually glad to be there, and glad to become a doctor. In all fairness, though, I didn't have trouble with the "arbitrary" grading system - doing what I naturally wanted to do (i.e. take care of patients) earned me good grades, almost by default.

I did not enjoy MS4 at all. I found the interview process to be unnecessarily expensive and time consuming. I also hated the pre-interview dinners, the small talk, the schmoozing....things that I'm really not good at. ;) The after-Match stuff was ok, but too short.

I've actually enjoyed residency for the most part....but I WILL say that the highs of residency are MUCH higher than the highs of med school, and the lows of residency are 10x worse than the lowest low of med school. The emotional rollercoaster is much more emotionally draining. Yeah, I took care of dying patients as a med student, but I didn't take their death personally like I do as a resident. As a med student, you're largely an observer, and you don't feel personal responsibility for someone's progress. As an intern, though, MY decisions affected whether or not they got healthier or got sicker. That is scarier than is possible to put in words. I've gotten pretty possessive of some of my patients, too - these are MY patients, and it can be hard to hand them off.

All in all, I like being a resident better than being a med student. But I wouldn't paint the road as being mostly positive, nor would I paint it as being all negative. If you really like taking care of patients, it will have a lot of great moments. But, it will definitely take its toll on you, one way or another.

*snip

I can't stand sitting in a classroom, having irrelevant information thrown at my head. And the "touchy-feely" classes took away my motivation to be a doctor. I don't retain information in the lecture format well, so I had to study harder than some of my classmates did, leaving me little free time to do much else.
snip*

overall, a really great post. It's awesome to hear from someone who's enjoying residency better than she did med school (even if it was because med school was awful for her). Thanks for a well-thought out, truthful post.

I'm curious though: if lecture wasn't working for you, why did you continue to go? no podcasting?

I'm curious though: if lecture wasn't working for you, why did you continue to go? no podcasting?

I did stop, especially after the school started streaming lectures online. I still had difficulty retaining information - I'm not an "auditory learner," or whatever that style is called. I learn by reading, but I learn even better by doing. There is very little "doing" in the first two years, which made it very very hard for me.

Everyone tells you to "go out and spend time in the free clinics; working with patients will drive home what you've been learning!," but that's a crock of BS. Working with hypertensive homeless people at the shelter doesn't help you remember the pathophysiology behind porphyria.

I did stop, especially after the school started streaming lectures online. I still had difficulty retaining information - I'm not an "auditory learner," or whatever that style is called. I learn by reading, but I learn even better by doing. There is very little "doing" in the first two years, which made it very very hard for me.

Everyone tells you to "go out and spend time in the free clinics; working with patients will drive home what you've been learning!," but that's a crock of BS. Working with hypertensive homeless people at the shelter doesn't help you remember the pathophysiology behind porphyria.

Understood, and agreed.