Who here goes or got into Ohio State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supertrooper66

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see no point in applying to Ohio State b/c I have no shot whatsoever, BUT my dad really wants me to and he's paying for the applications so he insists. he did his residency there and says they consider him an alum. i think he is just excited that i could go to the same school he did his residency at.

the truth is i have no shot whatsoever since my numbers are terribly low for them haha. the MSAR has their medians at 3.8 gpa and 35P (12, 11, 12) mcat. now here i am with a 3.63 and i'm retaking my mcat july 10th. my current mcat of 26R (8, 10, 8) isn't going to cut it at any school lol. i am completely confident in getting a 30 on the retake but that's still 5 pts below ohio state's average hahaha.

my dad just thinks it'll help me that he did his residency there. i was also born in cleveland but definitely not a resident. i still have family there but i haven't lived there myself since i was 3. i doubt ohio state would count me as having "ohio ties" but who knows.

is there really any point to apply? lol, i mean, my dad is footing the bill and wants me to so i guess i will be applying haha. i told him "uhh that's like $200 down the drain..." but he doesn't care haha.

does ohio state screen? if they screen i won't get past their screening with a 26R haha. i'll be retaking but plan on submitting my amcas to schools end of June. my retake won't matter for ohio state if im screened out before they receive my new score. ;) maybe i should wait and not apply to ohio state till mid august when i get my 2nd mcat back? the only thing is i'll have even less of a chance then since my app. will be completed late lol

Members don't see this ad.

I see no point in applying to Ohio State b/c I have no shot whatsoever, BUT my dad really wants me to and he's paying for the applications so he insists. he did his residency there and says they consider him an alum. i think he is just excited that i could go to the same school he did his residency at.

the truth is i have no shot whatsoever since my numbers are terribly low for them haha. the MSAR has their medians at 3.8 gpa and 35P (12, 11, 12) mcat. now here i am with a 3.63 and i'm retaking my mcat july 10th. my current mcat of 26R (8, 10, 8) isn't going to cut it at any school lol. i am completely confident in getting a 30 on the retake but that's still 5 pts below ohio state's average hahaha.

my dad just thinks it'll help me that he did his residency there. i was also born on cleveland but definitely not a resident. i still have family there but haven't lived there since was 3. i doubt ohio state would count me as having "ohio ties" but who knows.

is there really any point to apply? lol, i mean, my dad is footing the bill and wants me to so i guess i will be applying haha. i told him "uhh that's like $200 down the drain..." but he doesn't care haha.

does ohio state screen? if they screen i won't get past their screening with a 26R haha. i'll be retaking but plan on submitting my amcas to schools end of June. my retake won't matter for ohio state if im screened out before they receive my new score. ;) maybe i should wait and not apply to ohio state till mid august when i get my 2nd mcat back? the only thing is i'll have even less of a chance then since my app. will completed late lol

Your right in that your GPA and MCAT are below their average. As for your dad, I don't think that his alumni status helps much. When I interviewed at OSU, there were at least three other people in the interview room whose mom or dad went to OSU and they informed me two weeks later that they were waitlisted anyway. As for your qualifications, your GPA isn't that bad (it's only slightly below their average), but you really need to do well on the MCAT in order to compensate for being an out of state applicant. I would recommend that you retake the MCAT and aim for a 35 or higher in order to be competitive for OSU next year. Last but not least, don't apply because your dad wants you to go there. If you score below a 30, it wouldn't make sense applying to OSU if you know you have no reasonable chance of getting in. Yet, you'll still be competitive at a lot of other schools as well as your own in-state medical school. So you should focus on applying to schools that you have a chance of getting in.

Your right in that your GPA and MCAT are below their average. As for your dad, I don't think that his alumni status helps much. When I interviewed at OSU, there were at least three other people in the interview room whose mom or dad went to OSU and they informed me two weeks later that they were waitlisted anyway. As for your qualifications, your GPA isn't that bad (it's only slightly below their average), but you really need to do well on the MCAT in order to compensate for being an out of state applicant. I would recommend that you retake the MCAT and aim for a 35 or higher in order to be competitive for next year.

3.63 is only slightly below their avg? their average is 3.8! 3.63 is way lower! lol

well, yea, of course i'm aiming for a 35 on the retake but i can't guarantee anything till it's over. i really only feel confident in saying i better get a 30 b/c i felt i should have gotten a 30 the first time! i was real pissed when i got my score and 26....don't get me started on that lol.

maybe they'd give me a courtesy interview b/c of my dad? i have no clue
my uncle is a physician in some of the cleveland hospitals and he said it's all about having connections. if you don't have connections, you're just treated as another #. he was referring to both admissions for ohio state's med school and getting a good doctor if you're a patient at the cleveland hospitals.

Members don't see this ad :)

my dad just thinks it'll help me that he did his residency there. i was also born in cleveland but definitely not a resident. i still have family there but i haven't lived there myself since i was 3. i doubt ohio state would count me as having "ohio ties" but who knows.

does ohio state screen? if they screen i won't get past their screening with a 26R haha. i'll be retaking but plan on submitting my amcas to schools end of June. my retake won't matter for ohio state if im screened out before they receive my new score. ;) maybe i should wait and not apply to ohio state till mid august when i get my 2nd mcat back? the only thing is i'll have even less of a chance then since my app. will be completed late lol

I'm not in the med school but I am a undergrad there. My dad was an alum. I know there are atleast two regular posters on SDN who are current med students. Anyway, if your dad is going to pay for it, apply. If you're out of state (from what you gave, you are) then I'd say you have little chance for an acceptance. I believe OSU is trying to beef up their MCAT scores and have been turning MOST (Not all..) people down who aren't atleast 31+. 50% of the class is out of state, but those out of state kids usually have better stats than the instate kids, from what I hear.

From what i've read on here, medical schools don't give much favor to kids who have parents who did residencies in their hospitals. Apply anyway and good luck!

3.63 is only slightly below their avg? their average is 3.8! 3.63 is way lower! lol

well, yea, of course i'm aiming for a 35 on the retake but i can't guarantee anything till it's over. i really only feel confident in saying i better get a 30 b/c i felt i should have gotten a 30 the first time! i was real pissed when i got my score and 26....don't get me started on that lol.

maybe they'd give me a courtesy interview b/c of my dad? i have no clue
my uncle is a physician in some of the cleveland hospitals and he said it's all about having connections. if you don't have connections, you're just treated as another #. he was referring to both admissions for ohio state's med school and getting a good doctor if you're a patient at the cleveland hospitals.

A lot of medical schools give courtesy interviews to legacy students, this is true. But after the interview when your application goes before a committee, they look at it without regards to your legacy status (being a legacy helps with getting an interview and might make a difference in borderline cases, but they'll still evaluate it on your own merits). Your dad and uncle are not a good source for information about medical school application because they're from a previous generation and most of what they say no longer applies. Medical school admissions has become so competitive nowadays that the schools can fill their classes several times over with the children of their legacies.

As for your stats, don't discount the possibility of bona fortuna - the good luck that comes from having something in your application that interests the ADCOMs. I know someone with a 3.4 GPA and 35 MCAT getting into OSU this year because of her application essay or activities. As for the MCATs, you should aim for the highest possible score that you can get and apply if you believe you have a reasonable chance of getting in.

yeah, that's why i don't wanna even apply. i see it as just giving them money they don't deserve haha. if i waited till mid august to see my 2nd mcat score, do you think it's too late to start applying to OSU by then?

i am OOS...plus in terms of a courtesy interview for legacy kids...i don't like the idea of wasting money to fly up there and interview for nothing. i would get a trip to visit my family up there tho! :D

i was looking thru the mdapps.com profiles and there are OOS ppl getting in or getting interviews at least who have like 33 mcat, 3.6-3.7 gpa, aren't minorities, etc. i wonder why they were chosen?? nooo clue

The inside scoop is that OSU has become a very numbers-oriented school in the last few years. They've got a huge inferiority complex because they know they're not as academically strong as Michigan, their big football rival. So, they're hoping to claw their way up the rankings. They aren't even that friendly to average stat in-state applicants anymore. As an OOS applicant, you better be bringing them something that will help them (aka big numbers) in their hopeless mission to beat a school that will ALWAYS outclass them in academics. Your 26 MCAT probably wouldn't get you an interview in-state, much less OOS.

of course my 26 mcat wouldnt get me an interview! lol you guys keep reading over that i am RETAKING it july 10th.

but anyways, i decided i'm not applying. if for some reason i need to apply next cycle b/c i don't get in anywhere, my gpa should be up to a 3.7 and more experience hopefully making me more competitive. in that case, i will apply here next year. thanks everyone

why would you want to go to OSU. Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers.

The inside scoop is that OSU has become a very numbers-oriented school in the last few years. They've got a huge inferiority complex because they know they're not as academically strong as Michigan, their big football rival. So, they're hoping to claw their way up the rankings. They aren't even that friendly to average stat in-state applicants anymore. As an OOS applicant, you better be bringing them something that will help them (aka big numbers) in their hopeless mission to beat a school that will ALWAYS outclass them in academics. Your 26 MCAT probably wouldn't get you an interview in-state, much less OOS.

:laugh:;)

I got in with a 31 O (3.82 GPA, 3.6something in science). I also applied in August. If your dad wants to pay so that he won't always wonder if you could have gotten in, let him. Consider it a gift (for both of you!)

i guess i might still apply...i don't know. now that i think about it, i don't think i can even apply that late. i dont think my premed committee allows you to add more schools later. they make you submit a list at the beginning of the summer and then won't let you add more. a new rule this year b/c they got tired of ppl changing their entire list after they've already madeup the premed packages for the schools.

hmmm the new MSAR is exaggerated. i think it rounds all the median gpas straight up since they round everything to the tenths spot. it says for 2007 accepted applicants mcat 35 (12, 11, 12) and gpa 3.8. on OSU's website it gives the #s out to the hundredths place. cumulative 3.74 and science 3.70 with mcat of 34O (10.5, 11.5, 11.5). that's actually an MCAT of 33.5. so you're actually likely at their average with a 33 mcat. i think i will be applying afterall :). i just don't know if i should wait for the 2nd mcat or not. i think i will if my committee lets me b/c their site says they start reviewing your application before they receive your LORs. ACTUALLY i take that back, it says they start reviewing once they receive AMCAS, MCAT, and secondary, not LORs tho. you just need LORs in before the interview. i can control WHEN they first review my app. by just delaying my secondary submission till i get my 2nd mcat back. :) if i don't get a good enough score on my 2nd mcat, i just won't submit my secondary and thus they won't steal my $60 haha

the only question now is....does ohio state screen?? i could get screened out with that 26...

ahhh, i did a search and apparently OSU does screen...anyone know what #s they screen at?

i'll be calling them tomorrow...haha

man you are going a bit crazy over this one school...if you can raise you MCAT score to anything competitive, maintain your 3.7ish GPA, and have a serious interest in the school, by all means apply...like custard and a few others mentioned, they take people with 'average' MCAT scores as long as you are bringing other important things to the table...I'll be attending OSU come August, and I had a 33O MCAT...so you do not need some astronomical GPA/MCAT combo, just a solid overall profile (and as you know, not that 26 you have right now)....best of luck!!

You gotta be kidding me...

hmmm the new MSAR is exaggerated. i think it rounds all the median gpas straight up since they round everything to the tenths spot. it says for 2007 accepted applicants mcat 35 (12, 11, 12) and gpa 3.8. on OSU's website it gives the #s out to the hundredths place. cumulative 3.74 and science 3.70 with mcat of 34O (10.5, 11.5, 11.5). that's actually an MCAT of 33.5. so you're actually likely at their average with a 33 mcat. i think i will be applying afterall :). i just don't know if i should wait for the 2nd mcat or not. i think i will if my committee lets me b/c their site says they start reviewing your application before they receive your LORs. ACTUALLY i take that back, it says they start reviewing once they receive AMCAS, MCAT, and secondary, not LORs tho. you just need LORs in before the interview. i can control WHEN they first review my app. by just delaying my secondary submission till i get my 2nd mcat back. :) if i don't get a good enough score on my 2nd mcat, i just won't submit my secondary and thus they won't steal my $60 haha

the only question now is....does ohio state screen?? i could get screened out with that 26...

Ummmm the MSAR calculates Median scores for accepted applicants...so the median applicant will have a score of 11 vr...11 PS...and 12 BS....that doesnt mean there AVERAGE matriculant will have a score of 35.

The inside scoop is that OSU has become a very numbers-oriented school in the last few years. quote]

What is this garbage? I'm pretty sure the med school here doesn't have a strategic game plan just to outdo michigan. Doesn't a school have to be numbers driven to raise prestige?!

sweeeet, i'm definitely applying here!

i just called them a minute ago. they said they do NOT screen anyone, in-state or OOS. everyone receives their secondary.

i also was like "so i'm assuming you prefer ohio residents....right?" and she said "absolutely not. we give no preference to residents. we want the best students in our school regardless of residency."

then she went on to say that this year's accepted OOS applicants make up 60% of all who were accepted. she said that # will drop once ppl have to matriculate but it will still stay in the 40s%.

finally, i asked her about when i should submit my app. since i'm retaking my mcat. she said submit as early as possible and since you mark on amcas that you're retaking, they'll just re-review your application again once the new mcat comes in. i'm not gonna be submitting my primaries till end of june/early july anyway. they don't start reviewing till they get your secondary so by that time my 2nd mcat will be almost in anyway. niccee :)