Who is a Nerd? Must be a complete Nerd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caverject

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
bananaface said:
There is nothing wrong with people who identify as part of the same group coming together to make themselves feel that they can identify more with other community members.

I feel the need to TESTIFY!! What brotha's and sista's are here that are COMPLETE NERDS??? Testify your nerdiness.....

Members don't see this ad.

Caverject said:
I feel the need to TESTIFY!! What brotha's and sista's are here that are COMPLETE NERDS??? Testify your nerdiness.....[/QUOTE

My IQ is 128 (yes I am a low level nerd). I love startrek. I will be sad when they cancel that show finally. In between my therapuetics classes, I bust out my linear algebra and do math proofs. I tried to write a computer program to do pharmcokinetics calculations faster. I have 4 computers, each of them I give a name to. I will kill anyone who dares to challenge me in pharmcokinetics (wait, that makes me a gunner and not a nerd). I hate working in retail because I have to talk to people. I prefer to do research in my lab all day about pharmcokinetics. I know pathways in biochemistry that is not taught in class nor ask on exams, but I study them anyway. :D

My ideal mate: :love:
1. I would meet her through AIM instead of real life
2. She has to have a high IQ (126 at least) and SAT score of 1400 at least (with at least a math score of 725)
3. Know what PNA is (yes it stands for polypetide nucleic acid)
4. Can tell me all the structures to the kreb cycle
5. She should have glasses as thick as mine

gdk420 said:
My ideal mate: :love:
1. I would meet her through AIM instead of real life
2. She has to have a high IQ (126 at least) and SAT score of 1400 at least (with at least a math score of 725)
3. Know what PNA is (yes it stands for polypetide nucleic acid)
4. Can tell me all the structures to the kreb cycle
5. She should have glasses as thick as mine

No pocket protector? :confused: :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Caverject said:
I feel the need to TESTIFY!! What brotha's and sista's are here that are COMPLETE NERDS??? Testify your nerdiness.....

I wear glasses.
I am very, very overweight.
I belong to Mensa, where most people wear glasses and/or are overweight.
My IQ is at the 99.5 percentile.
I have 7 computers at home, with a home network.
My favorite computer is my Power Mac G5, with a 64-bit processor.
I wrote some computer software for accounting, which is still used by the Indianapolis Colts. (I'm finishing some new direct deposit payroll software this weekend)
I program in C/Unix.
I use an HP calculator because I prefer reverse polish notation.

There's probably more. That's all I can think of right now.

dgroulx said:
I wear glasses.
I am very, very overweight.
I belong to Mensa, where most people wear glasses and/or are overweight.
My IQ is at the 99.5 percentile.
I have 7 computers at home, with a home network.
My favorite computer is my Power Mac G5, with a 64-bit processor.
I wrote some computer software for accounting, which is still used by the Indianapolis Colts. (I'm finishing some new direct deposit payroll software this weekend)
I program in C/Unix.
I use an HP calculator because I prefer reverse polish notation.

There's probably more. That's all I can think of right now.
Yes...but are all 7 of the macintosh type? If so, I will get on bended knee and form a union which would bring the total of 9 macs plus 2 home networks

FutureRxGal said:
No pocket protector? :confused: :smuggrin:

No, that is old school and that is only for the highest intelligent nerds like stephen hawkins. Even nerds have some fashion sense. All I need are thick glasses like mines. Oh by the way, my favorite subjects in pharmacy school are physical pharamcy, pharmacuetics, and pharmcokinetics. Yes someday I will be somebody preceptor. May God have mercy on that person soul, because I plan to grill the student on the most abstract drug interactions. Yes, this what pharmacy school has turn me into. A bitter nerd who will take out all of his anger on a resident. :D

I'm a biiiiiiiiiiiig science nerd!! i LOVE science--all kinds (thankfully some schools don't consider physics to be one ;)). My favorite science classes from undergrad include Molecular and Cell Biology, Molecular Neurobiochemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Advanced Physiology. I enjoy rewriting my notes for these awesome science classes and color-coding them. I even saved more than half of my hot German professor's lectures on Cell Biology last semester (for both his hot accent and the cool content ;). I can take the "easier" version of physiology at my school for my major but I love to learn science so I am taking the "harder" version (and praying I pass ;) )When I am bored, I sometimes make huge drawings of some particular aspects of cell biology (e.g. the mitochondrinal signaling pathway). I sometimes attend multiple discussion sections for my science classes to learn more. :D For O-chem, I enjoyed doing all the problems in my Vollhardt's Organic Chemistry textbook that I even bought another ochem book (Loudon's Organic Chemistry) that the upper division o-chem students here at Berkeley use so I could do more ochem--I even bought the solutions manual so I now have 4 ochem books sitting on my bookshelf. At Berkeley, we have something called "study groups" that are lead by students who have taken the course and each group meets 4 hours a week and I went to 2 study groups for ochem (so 8 hours/week) because I couldn't get enough of my love :) In addition to that, I did most of the problems offered by Harvard's O-chem department and found it to be thoroughly satisfying. This semester, I am auditing Molecular Immunology at my school to prepare myself for immunology in pharmacy school. Because I greatly despise paperback books and demand that all my science books be hardcovers, I refused to buy the immuno textbook at Berkeley. Instead, I bought the Molecular Immunology textbook written by a USC pharmacy professor and used by USC pharmacy students and enjoy reading it in my spare time, especially when I am in the kitchen cooking. During finals week of Spring 2004, I lived at the library for about a week (I went home to shower and eat, of course). In the yr 2004, I took over 50 semester units and also worked. I find that my grades are better when I take more units than when I take the minimum at my school (13). In preparation for my interviews, I went thru a ****load of questions (all of the ones in the interview feedback section) (oneday_9 and lexian can testify, haha). In my spare time, I enjoy watching Court TV's Forensic Files--shhhh, but it can be so addicting that I can watch it from 6PM till 4AM ;) Is that nerdy enough?

[EDIT]: at the place where i currently work part-time, I have to photocopy all these science journals and it always takes me forever to photocopy b/c I take time to stop and skim some of the very interesting articles (thankfully my boss hasn't caught me yet ;) shhhh ). I've considered subscribing to magazines like EID (emerging infectious diseases) but am going to wait until pharmacy school begins to see if there are any discounts for pharmacy students :)

endlesslove said:
I'm a biiiiiiiiiiiig science nerd!! i LOVE science--all kinds (thankfully some schools don't consider physics to be one ;)). My favorite science classes from undergrad include Molecular and Cell Biology, Molecular Neurobiochemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Advanced Physiology. I enjoy rewriting my notes for these awesome science classes and color-coding them. I even saved more than half of my hot German professor's lectures on Cell Biology last semester (for both his hot accent and the cool content ;). I can take the "easier" version of physiology at my school for my major but I love to learn science so I am taking the "harder" version (and praying I pass ;) )When I am bored, I sometimes make huge drawings of some particular aspects of cell biology (e.g. the mitochondrinal signaling pathway). I sometimes attend multiple discussion sections for my science classes to learn more. :D For O-chem, I enjoyed doing all the problems in my Vollhardt's Organic Chemistry textbook that I even bought another ochem book (Loudon's Organic Chemistry) that the upper division o-chem students here at Berkeley use so I could do more ochem--I even bought the solutions manual so I now have 4 ochem books sitting on my bookshelf. At Berkeley, we have something called "study groups" that are lead by students who have taken the course and each group meets 4 hours a week and I went to 2 study groups for ochem (so 8 hours/week) because I couldn't get enough of my love :) In addition to that, I did most of the problems offered by Harvard's O-chem department and found it to be thoroughly satisfying. This semester, I am auditing Molecular Immunology at my school to prepare myself for immunology in pharmacy school. Because I greatly despise paperback books and demand that all my science books be hardcovers, I refused to buy the immuno textbook at Berkeley. Instead, I bought the Molecular Immunology textbook written by a USC pharmacy professor and used by USC pharmacy students and enjoy reading it in my spare time, especially when I am in the kitchen cooking. During finals week of Spring 2004, I lived at the library for about a week (I went home to shower and eat, of course). In the yr 2004, I took over 50 semester units and also worked. I find that my grades are better when I take more units than when I take the minimum at my school (13). In preparation for my interviews, I went thru a ****load of questions (all of the ones in the interview feedback section) (oneday_9 and lexian can testify, haha). In my spare time, I enjoy watching Court TV's Forensic Files--shhhh, but it can be so addicting that I can watch it from 6PM till 4AM ;) Is that nerdy enough?
you sound yummy endless love....can you read me bed time stories about HPLC analysis? I really want to learn about peaks and troughs. Or better yet, can you tell me a sexy story about pyruvate dehydrogenase & alpha-ketogluterate dehydrogenase co-factors dealing with CPX??? That would like sooo totally turn me on

Caverject said:
you sound yummy endless love....can you read me bed time stories about HPLC analysis? I really want to learn about peaks and troughs. Or better yet, can you tell me a sexy story about pyruvate dehydrogenase & alpha-ketogluterate dehydrogenase co-factors dealing with CPX??? That would like sooo totally turn me on
This is the nerd thread, not the hookup thread. :rolleyes:

Caverject said:

it would turn me on if YOU read ME science stories and i fell asleep dreaming about pyruvate, COX 2 inhibitors, and BiP. I.e. little BiP, little BiP, where are you? I can't fold my proteins correctly w/o you. MmmmmmMmm.

bananaface said:
This is the nerd thread, not the hookup thread. :rolleyes:

haha, it's okay bananaface. I already have a loving boyfriend of 3 years ;)

endlesslove said:
it would turn me on if YOU read ME science stories and i fell asleep dreaming about pyruvate, COX 2 inhibitors, and BiP. I.e. little BiP, little BiP, where are you? I can't fold my proteins correctly w/o you. MmmmmmMmm.
Well...there is this little guy called pyruvate. He lives in the wonderful town called mitochondrial matrix. His neighbors are mr enzyme and mrs fatty acid oxidation. In the outer limits of the town resides Mr VDAC. He sort of looks like porin but a little different.

Anyway, one day this bad bad person came to town. We will call him PD (Pyruvate Dehydrogenase) He went and murdered poor poor pyruvate and thats the end of the story

Members don't see this ad :)
endlesslove said:
haha, it's okay bananaface. I already have a loving boyfriend of 3 years ;)

DAMN! back to aim, although I did try to get amandarx to be my study buddy through aim. Man I am so nerdie. The only time I feel less nerdie is when I go out to dinner with my cal tech friends.

Caverject said:
Well...there is this little guy called pyruvate. He lives in the wonderful town called mitochondrial matrix. His neighbors are mr enzyme and mrs fatty acid oxidation. In the outer limits of the town resides Mr VDAC. He sort of looks like porin but a little different.

Anyway, one day this bad bad person came to town. We will call him PD (Pyruvate Dehydrogenase) He went and murdered poor poor pyruvate and thats the end of the story

aw, what a cute story :) you should write these adorable stories and sell them as children's favorite bedtime stories :) I would be your #1 fan b/c I'd buy all of them :)

Caverject said:

HAHAHA that is too funny! Please do tell more! :laugh:

My favorite tshirt says "Schroedinger's cat is dead" on the front and "Schroedinger's cat is alive" on the back and I love that only the rare person even has a glimmer of what it means. Even my OChem prof had to have it explained to him. My second favorite tshirt says "Ban dihydrogen monoxide" and lists all the horrible things that contain it.

My husband and I, in the same room, talk to each other via AIM. (4 computers, 2 IPAQs, and 1 laptop networked. No mac though, sorry.)

I am grooming my children to be nerds also. My son tells all the other kids in daycare that "those are not just fingers, they are phalanges." He also can explain why tiger's have stripes.

We are going to try to get rich over spring break by getting the whole family involved in solving the clues in "A Treasure's Trove".

Then all the normal. Few friends, thick glasses, calorie challenged, fan of the old "Alien Nation" series and original Star Trek, favorite place to shop: www.thinkgeek.com. Just to name a few.

wow... is all i have to say....

wow...

i hope you all are getting the help you need

jemc2000 said:
Then all the normal. Few friends, thick glasses, calorie challenged, fan of the old "Alien Nation" series and original Star Trek, favorite place to shop: www.thinkgeek.com. Just to name a few.

We seriously need to get together sometime. Maybe if you take some classes at USF we can meet up.

dgroulx said:
We seriously need to get together sometime. Maybe if you take some classes at USF we can meet up.

Sounds like a plan.

endlesslove said:

[EDIT]: at the place where i currently work part-time, I have to photocopy all these science journals and it always takes me forever to photocopy b/c I take time to stop and skim some of the very interesting articles (thankfully my boss hasn't caught me yet ;) shhhh ). I've considered subscribing to magazines like EID (emerging infectious diseases) but am going to wait until pharmacy school begins to see if there are any discounts for pharmacy students :)

You beat me in nerdom. I bow down to you.

farside1.gif

Hahahaha...love this post.

I am a nerd and proud of it. It took me a few years of living in denial to finally accept my true inner nerdiness. However, now, I parade it with pride! :D

I wear glasses. :) I love computers. I am taking Microbiology just for the fun of it. I have an unhealthy addiction to video games. (the nerdy RPG kind hehehe)

Yeaaaah...

jemc2000 said:
My favorite tshirt says "Schroedinger's cat is dead" on the front and "Schroedinger's cat is alive" on the back and I love that only the rare person even has a glimmer of what it means. Even my OChem prof had to have it explained to him. My second favorite tshirt says "Ban dihydrogen monoxide" and lists all the horrible things that contain it.

My husband and I, in the same room, talk to each other via AIM. (4 computers, 2 IPAQs, and 1 laptop networked. No mac though, sorry.)

I am grooming my children to be nerds also. My son tells all the other kids in daycare that "those are not just fingers, they are phalanges." He also can explain why tiger's have stripes.

We are going to try to get rich over spring break by getting the whole family involved in solving the clues in "A Treasure's Trove".

Schrödinger's cat is a thought experiment devised by Erwin Schrödinger that attempts to illustrate the incompleteness of the theory of quantum mechanics when going from subatomic to macroscopic systems. The experiment proposes:

A cat is placed in a sealed box. Attached to the box is an apparatus containing a radioactive nucleus and a canister of poison gas. The experiment is set up so that there is a 50% chance of the nucleus decaying in one hour. If the nucleus decays, it will emit a particle that triggers the apparatus, which opens the canister and kills the cat. (According to quantum mechanics, the unobserved nucleus is described as a superposition (mixture) of "decayed nucleus" and "undecayed nucleus".) However, when the box is opened the experimenter sees only a "decayed nucleus/dead cat" or a "undecayed nucleus/living cat."

The question is: when does the system stop existing as a mixture of states and become one or the other? The purpose of the experiment is to illustrate that quantum mechanics is incomplete without some rules to describe when the wavefunction collapses and the cat becomes dead or remains alive instead of a mixture of both.
Contrary to popular belief, Schrödinger did not intend this thought experiment to indicate that he believed that the dead-alive cat would actually exist; rather he considered the quantum mechanical theory to be incomplete and not representative of reality in this case. Since a cat clearly must either be alive or dead (there is no state between alive and dead, e.g. half-dead) surely the same must be true of the nucleus. It must be either decayed or not decayed.

The original article appeared in the German magazine Naturwissenschaften ("Natural Sciences") in 1935: E. Schrödinger: "Die gegenwärtige Situation in der Quantenmechanik" ("The present situation in quantum mechanics"), Naturwissenschaften, 48, 807, 49, 823, 50, 844 (November 1935). It was intended as a discussion of the EPR article published by Einstein, Podolsky and Rosen in the same year. Apart from introducing the cat, Schrödinger also coined the term "entanglement" (German: Verschränkung) in his article.

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schroedinger's_cat

gdk420 said:
Schrödinger's cat is a thought experiment devised by Erwin Schrödinger that attempts to illustrate the incompleteness of the theory of quantum mechanics when going from subatomic to macroscopic systems. The experiment proposes:

I have the experiment printed on 3x5 cards so if anybody asks, I can just give them a card. :oops:

jemc2000 said:
I have the experiment printed on 3x5 cards so if anybody asks, I can just give them a card. :oops:

LOL. I want the t shirt. Where did you buy it at?

ok.....
so i'm not a nerd however....

i have dated several guys who were...
for instance... guys who were married to their x-box... band geeks... the guys who played dungeons and dragons..... and whatever EQ is......

not to mention those who actually own macs.....

:scared: why do i attract these people?

*chants* I am not a nerd.... I am a very cool person.... I am not a nerd..... I am a very cool person....

Mac's rule; I have 1 but I'd have more if I wasn't poor. My boyfriend won the Emoticontest on yahoo last summer and has his own avatar http://www.theprofessorpodcast.com/. To turn him on I talk to him about gigabytes and Steve Jobs and he talks to me about the phospholipid bilayer.

ndearwater said:
Mac's rule; I have 1 but I'd have more if I wasn't poor. My boyfriend won the Emoticontest on yahoo last summer and has his own avatar http://www.theprofessorpodcast.com/. To turn him on I talk to him about gigabytes and Steve Jobs and he talks to me about the phospholipid bilayer.
if you and your current b/f break up... let me know... i've got the perfect guy for you.....

bbmuffin said:
*chants* I am not a nerd.... I am a very cool person.... I am not a nerd..... I am a very cool person....

Uhm... what rule is it that says you can't be a very cool person and a nerd all in one?!?!?

KUMoose said:
Uhm... what rule is it that says you can't be a very cool person and a nerd all in one?!?!?
Main Entry: nerd
Pronunciation: 'n&rd
Function: noun
an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person; especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits <computer nerds>

The stereotypical nerd image as seen in the mass media and cartoons equates to a young man wearing thick black eyeglasses (preferably broken and taped up with electrical tape), pocket protectors, high-water pants and dress shirts or clothes generally too formal for the circumstances. Sometimes the stereotype lacks personal hygiene skills, and he will typically appear either very skinny or extremely fat. Stereotypical nerds usually lack social graces and the ability to perform social interaction, except on technical topics.

both m-w and wikipedia..... :laugh:

ok
but on another more interesting note......

Geeks and nerds are Myers-Briggs Type Indicator INTP, or to a lesser extent INTJ. INTP is the classic programmer type, INTJ the classic scientist type. These are the Introverted iNtuitive Thinkers. As Introverts they are stimulated by thoughts and ideas rather than people and things. They are often quite happy spending hours absorbed in solitary activities. As iNtuitives they are more inclined towards abstract concepts and subtle connections than in concrete examples or direct experience. As Thinkers they are more adept in logic and reason than feelings or emotions. This combination makes INT's masters of math and logic and science, but rather oblivious to social graces. INTJs tend to follow social norms, at least to the extent they notice them, while INTPs tend to be nerdier and actively rebel against social rules they view as irrational and meaningless. For example long hair is surprisingly common on INTP men.

how many of you are really INTP?

M-W and Wikipedia writers are just 80 IQ jealous peons that we manipulate mercilessly. Think of them as a pawn's pawn. :D

Guilty of the INTP. :cool:

I wear glasses and own all the Simpson's dvds so far. I buy brightly colored notecards and milky pens because it makes studying fun!

Oh and I thought this would be the appropriate thread to ask: has anyone ever been to a website where this guy takes requests to do "emotes" and took pictures of himself? One of the request was "being born".

KUMoose said:
M-W and Wikipedia writers are just 80 IQ jealous peons that we manipulate mercilessly. Think of them as a pawn's pawn. :D

Guilty of the INTP. :cool:

:laugh: i'm not about to get into a nerd argument on this site.... i am far to outnumbered...
so yes absolutely...
nerds can be the coolest people ever....

own all the Simpson's dvds so far.
do you know which season it is that they go to Knoxville for Spring Break instead of Disney World? and is that one out yet?

that episode ran many times through finals one year and is the only thing that got me through....

KUMoose said:

Co-VP of the chem frat here.

I have no shame. :smuggrin:

Count me in, I look like a nerd, don't know if i'm as smart as one.

same classic nerd syndrome as u guys
1. i like to wear orthopedic loafers - and then be ridiculed for wearing them
2. glasses - and then be ridiculed for wearing them even from da mother
3. Clothes handicapped - ridiculued for wearing them and then pelted by even loved ones for wearing them
4. bumping into things :laugh: - and then being ridiculed again
5. snorting when laughing - and then being laughed at...and then ridiculed with an electric probe by a big nurse names Olga with electric shocks and a paddle...wait..sorry too much info...

i still get excited anytime i drive by a Delorean...

I love listening to my lectures in the car from past semesters just for fun. In addition, I listen to all the audio lectures of Dr. Richard Feynman (some are in horrible shape, but oooh so captivating... :love: )

My favorite movies are STAR WARS and LOTR!

I ALMOST FORGOT! :idea:
I got a new ipod this summer that is color and can hold pictures. Of course it holds music too... so I named it "Photosynthesis"...get it??? how genius am I? haha :p

gdawg102 said:
Count me in, I look like a nerd, don't know if i'm as smart as one.

same classic nerd syndrome as u guys
1. i like to wear orthopedic loafers - and then be ridiculed for wearing them
2. glasses - and then be ridiculed for wearing them even from da mother
3. Clothes handicapped - ridiculued for wearing them and then pelted by even loved ones for wearing them
4. bumping into things :laugh: - and then being ridiculed again
5. snorting when laughing - and then being laughed at...and then ridiculed with an electric probe by a big nurse names Olga with electric shocks and a paddle...wait..sorry too much info...

Ditto on #1, 2, and 4
Also, I cried (in the 4th grade) because I got a 99% on a test. I have made a total of one B in a college class, ever. The only kind of shopping I like is shopping for office supplies. I live in the Houston area and didn't even know what sport the Astros played until I asked my dad about 1 week ago, (and I am proud of that fact because I see corporatized sports as part of a vast conspiracy to distract and oppress the masses :oops: ).

do you know which season it is that they go to Knoxville for Spring Break instead of Disney World? and is that one out yet?

that episode ran many times through finals one year and is the only thing that got me through....

Season 7, Bart on the road. Season 7 will be released Mid-December I think.
Oh and me knowing this is another reason I'm a nerd :p!

ndearwater said:
I ALMOST FORGOT! :idea:
I got a new ipod this summer that is color and can hold pictures. Of course it holds music too... so I named it "Photosynthesis"...get it??? how genius am I? haha :p
I'm a mac user...got a laptop, desktop, and an ipod...but holy crap...photosynthesis? You give "nerd" a whole new definition!

trinnieoh said:
I wear glasses and own all the Simpson's dvds so far. I buy brightly colored notecards and milky pens because it makes studying fun!

Oh and I thought this would be the appropriate thread to ask: has anyone ever been to a website where this guy takes requests to do "emotes" and took pictures of himself? One of the request was "being born".

Yep...

http://www.emotioneric.com/

1. I bought a broken iPod off Ebay because I could tell based on its "symptoms" and circuit layout that I'd be able to fix it with my soldering iron.
2. I've built every computer I've ever owned since I was 12.
3. I used to use an email client from 1989.
4. I've used the internet since 1995 on a text-only Lynx browser. I'm only 19 now.
5. As recently as last year, I'd use that Lynx browser and email client because I was too impatient to wait for Mozilla to load up on the dumb-client campus computers.
6. I often make money off my textbooks by buying them from wherever I can buy them cheapest and then selling them where I can for the most.
7. I took a university course while in high school.
8. I've finished in the 98.5th percentile in a national math contest.
9. I've done computer programming contests in HS where I was the only contestant in the school to actually get a score.
10. I used Google before it was cool.
11. I laugh whenever someone says a diamond is forever and think about throwing a pencil at them.
12. I use VoIP
13. I scoff at people with iPod Photos, Shuffles and unfilled iPods.

x86 reigns supreme, even AAPL agrees.

INTJ, borderline INTP here. Probably borderline Adult ADD & Asperger's as well.