SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Who treats brain / spinal cancers?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Hedwig, Jan 27, 2002.

  1. Hedwig

    Hedwig Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Dec 24, 2001
    Long Island, NY
    Neurologists or medical oncologists? (I'm a pre-medical student. Hope this doesn't sound too ridiculous.)
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. nyskindr

    nyskindr Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Jul 27, 2001
    The diagnosis of intracranial or spinal neoplasms is usually done by a neurologist.Treatment is generally rendered by neurosurgeon,radiation oncologist and/or medical oncologist,depending on the location and nature of the tumor.
  4. radspouse

    radspouse Saint 10+ Year Member

    Sep 15, 2001
    Interventional neuroradiologists are also starting to try novel treatments in brain cancers. I know my husband has witnessed INRs directly injecting chemo into veins around brain tumors. Studies to date don't show this to be more effective than other methods, but apparently it is becoming a new area of interest within this specialty.

  5. Fah-Q

    Fah-Q Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Jul 16, 2001
    Schwannomas (acoustic, facial, and olfactory) are often excised by otolaryngologists, especially those trained in neurotology and skull base surgery. Also, some tumors along the floor of the cranial fossa wil be excised by neurosurgeons but the approach will be the job of the otolaryngologist.
  6. rad

    rad Member 7+ Year Member

    Dec 10, 2001
    neurologists suspect
    neuroradiologists confirm
    neurosurgeons & medical/radiation oncologists treat
    pathologists confirm with certainty

Share This Page