Who wants to get paid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Poor peds. Screaming babies, neurotic parents and sh*tty pay. F that.

I read the title as "Who wants to get laid?"...

Members don't see this ad :)
This makes me want to slap a neuro surgeon I met a couple weeks ago. He's making about half a mil and was still super cynical to me about going into medicine. Give me a break.

are these figures real? because I thought these figures seem higher than I thought they were (~about 30k higher for Family Medicine)

Last edited:
This makes me want to slap a neuro surgeon I met a couple weeks ago. He's making about half a mil and was still super cynical to me about going into medicine. Give me a break.
Maybe because he spent 10+ years doing post-grad training? I wouldn't even want to be a neurosurgeon for 1 mil per year.

But pediatrics is the happiest specialty; it has its compensations.

I'm surprised to see that Psychiatry has pulled ahead.

:p Cat why is peds the happiest speciality?

I can guess why... I guess my question is, is this true amongst most doctors? Do they accept that peds is indeed the happiest speciality?

Members don't see this ad :)
i wonder what those number will end up being after mal practice insurance fees.

btw what is like the average mal practice insurance cost any way?

Depends on your specialty. For IM it can be as low as 9,000 while for spine/neuro/obgyn it can reach 100,000+

Those numbers are obviously after malpractice insurance fees. All multi-physician practices and hospitals pay for your malpractice insurance and take it into account when determining your payment.

Depends on your specialty. For IM it can be as low as 9,000 while for spine/neuro/obgyn it can reach 100,000+

ahhh.

Those numbers are obviously after malpractice insurance fees. All multi-physician practices and hospitals pay for your malpractice insurance and take it into account when determining your payment.

i c i c.

Internal Medicine. Right near the bottom.

YES! << double fist pump >>

Poor peds. Screaming babies, neurotic parents and sh*tty pay. F that.

Part of the reason the peds sub specialties are so low is because they pretty much only exist at academic hospitals. Academic physicians get paid a lot less than their private practice colleagues no matter what specialty it is

Probably because he did a, what? Nine year residency or something ridiculous? He's making half a mil a year, but he was also in his later 30s before he actually had a job.

And who's ready for those salaries to drop!?

This company's survey gets linked every year and is simply a waste of time. First jobsearch companies have an incentive for you to call them. So they don't have an incentive to post what you actually are going to get when using their company, they have an incentive to post something that will make you call them. It's the old bait and switch. "Well, we no longer have that job opportunity available, but we have something almost as good for (a lot less money, worse hours, etc)." Second, these figures are not the average. They are figures based on an average practice with "272 physicians and 13 satellite locations". You have to read the footnote or don't bother reading at all. So this is a big multistate practice figure. Are most practices of this form? I kind of doubt it. So don't kid yourself. Doctors do well, but no jobsearch site is going to give you a whole lot of insight as to what they are getting. More often they give you insight into what doctors are NOT getting because they have to provide an incentive for folks to call -- to lure them in with greener pastures. Also FWIW, the landscape is changing currently so if you are in pre-allo nothing you look at now is going to really paint a great picture for what things are going to look like after 4 years of med school and 4 years of residency, etc.

Maybe because he spent 10+ years doing post-grad training? I wouldn't even want to be a neurosurgeon for 1 mil per year.

1 million? I'll take that! A trad student could retire at age 40!

40!!

I mean yes, there's 7 years of residency hell, but IM + fellowship is 6 years. Yes, attending hours are worse as a neuro, but...40!!!!!!

I'm having way too much fun with this.

This company's survey gets linked every year and is simply a waste of time. First jobsearch companies have an incentive for you to call them. So they don't have an incentive to post what you actually are going to get when using their company, they have an incentive to post something that will make you call them. It's the old bait and switch. "Well, we no longer have that job opportunity available, but we have something almost as good for (a lot less money, worse hours, etc)." Second, these figures are not the average. They are figures based on an average practice with "272 physicians and 13 satellite locations". You have to read the footnote or don't bother reading at all. So this is a big multistate practice figure. Are most practices of this form? I kind of doubt it. So don't kid yourself. Doctors do well, but no jobsearch site is going to give you a whole lot of insight as to what they are getting. More often they give you insight into what doctors are NOT getting because they have to provide an incentive for folks to call -- to lure them in with greener pastures. Also FWIW, the landscape is changing currently so if you are in pre-allo nothing you look at now is going to really paint a great picture for what things are going to look like after 4 years of med school and 4 years of residency, etc.

I am aware....you win!! You figured out this was a "pity" thread because we that are starting now will not see these figures.....:thumbup:

Aint nobody getting "paid"......just comfortably living. :(

1 million? I'll take that! A trad student could retire at age 40!

40!!

I mean yes, there's 7 years of residency hell, but IM + fellowship is 6 years. Yes, attending hours are worse as a neuro, but...40!!!!!!

I'm having way too much fun with this.

Well, if one did make 1million a year, after taxes that's kind of only around 4 million if you retire at 40.

What if you wanted a 5 million dollar house? Gotta keep on working.:rolleyes: