Who wants to play God? ... Your thoughts, if you will.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedHrdMedOftn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
But seriously...go ahead and judge - I would love to have some feedback on my school choices - and whether you think I should or should not apply to the schools below

Here are some of my credentials

IL State Resident and attended The Univ. of Iowa, Physiology degree.
cGPA: 3.83, Graduated with distinction, phi betta kapa, yada yada
sGPA: 3.71
MCAT: 28P: PS 8 VR 9 BS 11

Volunteering Experiences

Community Hospital: Summers of 5/2009-present

University Hospital: 1/2008 - 5/2008

Hospice Center: 2/2007-5/2007

Internships/Shadowing
/Research

8 month Family Practice Internship (in High School)

2 yr Dermatology Internship, now working there as clinicians asst. (college)

Clinical Rounds (high school program for 5 months)

2008-2010 Research Assistant and co-author at University

----------------------------

okay so that's a smidget of my experiences...now here's the fun part...judge me if you will:

@font-face { font-family: "Verdana"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } THE LIST

Albany
Boston
Drexel
George Washington
Loyola!

MCW
MSU
NY Medical College (Valhala, nY)
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin!!!
Most recent
Rush!!!
Temple (PA)

Thomas Jefferson
UIC!!!
Iowa!!!
Wake Forest
Creighton
SLU
Jefferson (philly)
Morehouse (ATL)

(I reformatted the spacing...please suggest new schools or scratch of schools that you don't think are good fits for my application)

Tell me which ones you think no and which you think yes/maybe - any other recommendations?!

-thanks everyone :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah, did you copy and paste from somewhere? Because the spacing is very funky.

Also, you'll probably get the best feedback from the "What Are My Chances?" sub-forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
The list is hard to read, making it difficult to offer sound advice. I would agree that a 28 MCAT is not ideal for admission, so you might want to retake.

I see that you are applying to Morehouse; that is a historically black university, if I am not mistaken. If you are an URM, you might receive a bit more leeway with your MCAT.

+1.

A 28 MCAT isn't looked on very favorably by ADCOMS

It's not a stellar score, but it isn't going to cripple their application. If the OP was applying to Student Doctor Network Medical School, certainly they wouldn't get an interview, but given their diverse array of experience and solid GPA, I like OP's chances if s/he applies smartly.
Honestly, I would go ahead and apply to a handful of schools of the usual spectrum (pie in the sky schools, average-chance schools, and some "safeties"). If you can continue to work on your app with solid personal statements, nail secondaries, interviews, etc, I think you have a legit shot. I know quite a few folks who have received acceptances with 27s, 28s, 29s on their MCAT, and the rest of their credentials are on par with yours. Just don't take your foot off the gas.

It's not a stellar score, but it isn't going to cripple their application. If the OP was applying to Student Doctor Network Medical School, certainly they wouldn't get an interview, but given their diverse array of experience and solid GPA, I like OP's chances if s/he applies smartly.
Honestly, I would go ahead and apply to a handful of schools of the usual spectrum (pie in the sky schools, average-chance schools, and some "safeties"). If you can continue to work on your app with solid personal statements, nail secondaries, interviews, etc, I think you have a legit shot. I know quite a few folks who have received acceptances with 27s, 28s, 29s on their MCAT, and the rest of their credentials are on par with yours. Just don't take your foot off the gas.

That said, if OP can retake with good confidence that the score can be improved, I would do it. A couple points around that range can make a big difference.

Thank you so much everyone!!!

Please suggest schools to apply to and scratch off schools that don't fit my application.

But seriously...go ahead and judge - I would love to have some feedback on my school choices - and whether you think I should or should not apply to the schools below

Here are some of my credentials

IL State Resident and attended The Univ. of Iowa, Physiology degree.
cGPA: 3.83, Graduated with distinction, phi betta kapa, yada yada
sGPA: 3.71
MCAT: 28P: PS 8 VR 9 BS 11

Volunteering Experiences

Community Hospital: Summers of 5/2009-present

University Hospital: 1/2008 - 5/2008

Hospice Center: 2/2007-5/2007

Internships/Shadowing
/Research

8 month Family Practice Internship (in High School)

2 yr Dermatology Internship, now working there as clinicians asst. (college)

Clinical Rounds (high school program for 5 months)

2008-2010 Research Assistant and co-author at University

----------------------------

okay so that's a smidget of my experiences...now here's the fun part...judge me if you will:

@font-face { font-family: "Verdana"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } THE LIST

Albany
Boston
Drexel
George Washington
Loyola!

MCW
MSU
NY Medical College (Valhala, nY)
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin!!!
Most recent
Rush!!!
Temple (PA)
Thomas Jefferson
UIC!!!
Iowa!!!
Wake Forest
Creighton
SLU
Jefferson (philly)
Morehouse (ATL)
(I reformatted the spacing...please suggest new schools or scratch of schools that you don't think are good fits for my application)

Tell me which ones you think no and which you think yes/maybe - any other recommendations?!

-thanks everyone :thumbup:

OP: First of all, I hope you have the most recent MSAR book. If not, buy immediately. Your GPA/Honors/ECs are solid, MCAT is obviously on the lower end. With that said, your MCAT will likely give you hinder your statistical probabilities at the following schools:

1) Jefferson: You listed Thomas Jefferson and Jefferson (philly) as different institutions, when (to my knowledge) they are the same. My experience with Jefferson is they want to be considered along the same lines as Penn and look down upon Temple and Drexel. Will likely not give you a break on your MCAT.
2) Boston
3) Penn State: As an OOS, you better have quality creds to take a spot away from an IS.
4) George Washington: Not much to say about GW other than they'll eat your secondary app fee for breakfast even if you have stellar scores.

This is by no means a definitive list, just a realistic adjustment regarding your chances. One you might want to give a closer look is Tulane. I've found Tulane SOM accomodates students with varying credentials.

Last edited: