whooeee!! Anybody Can Do this thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superso

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ive gotta say, when I first saw this board, it was positive in that it made me realize i needed to work harder and it was negative in that i saw sooo many high scores and figured if i don't have a 30, its over...well its not for those of you under 30! For anybody on this board intimidated by the high scores and all...chillll ooout. i had a 29mcat, 3.6's gpa, no research, ny resident and...south asian, last mcat in august also! and i ended up with 7 allo interviews and 3 acceptances so far! so if you are premed and worried about not having a 30, just concentrate on writing nice interesting essays and practice your interviewing skillz and sell yourself and show them youve got what it takes to do really well, doan worry about only getting a 30 (though that helps) but concentrate on raising your grades and all the other things that go into the selection process, dont let any one score get you down. i thought i had no chance until i saw that avg matriculant scores in 2003 were actually 29! bam! and good luck

Members don't see this ad.

superso said:
ive gotta say, when I first saw this board, it was positive in that it made me realize i needed to work harder and it was negative in that i saw sooo many high scores and figured if i don't have a 30, its over...well its not for those of you under 30! For anybody on this board intimidated by the high scores and all...chillll ooout. i had a 29mcat, 3.6's gpa, no research, ny resident and...south asian, last mcat in august also! and i ended up with 7 allo interviews and 3 acceptances so far! so if you are premed and worried about not having a 30, just concentrate on writing nice interesting essays and practice your interviewing skillz and sell yourself and show them youve got what it takes to do really well, doan worry about only getting a 30 (though that helps) but concentrate on raising your grades and all the other things that go into the selection process, dont let any one score get you down. i thought i had no chance until i saw that avg matriculant scores in 2003 were actually 29! bam! and good luck

Exactly. One must realize the bias that is inevitable on these type of forums. The people that are more inclined to post their 'stats' are the ones with high numbers that are both proud and often insecure. It also happens in the residency forums. Congratulations and thanks for posting and letting some people know the sky really is not falling!

congrats on your acceptances! :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!! And very true....the "coveted 30" is NOT needed to get into med school, although it doesnt hurt

superso said:
sounds like my story....congrats. what places did u get the go-ahead?

superso said:

I have to agree with this one. I myself had a 29M and went to 8 interviews (2 acceptances and 3 waitlists) so it can definitely be done with a sub-30 MCAT!

While we're on this topic, not only can you get in with a sub-30 MCAT, but med school is still doable for people with gpas <3.5, C's/bad grades, and a bunch of other things.

Oh, and congrats on the acceptances superso :)

Congrats on getting in! And thanks for the post. It helps relieve some anxiety for the MCAT in 5 weeks!!

I got a 25 and a 3.5 GPA. I got in my first choice, UT Houston.
Its not all about the grades guys, there is so much more.

virilep said:
sounds like my story....congrats. what places did u get the go-ahead?

thanks for the congrats all! I got into nymc, downstate and syracuse, holding 1 waitlist and withdrew from the others. im going to withdraw from the others as soon as i figure out where my #1 is in the next 2 weeks or so. how about you virilep?