Who's Doing a Little Pre-Med School Prep This Summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j0v1al

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious as to how many people are going to be doing a little preparation before we begin classes in the end of August. I borrowed a couple of biochem books from the library, and I am trying to glance at them a little bit, just to be familiar with the vernacular. I took this past year off, and boy did I forget about 90% of all the orgo and other crap.

I'm certainly not going to be keeping my head in these books all day, just maybe an a few hours a week, to re-familiarize myself with the material. I know a lot of you guys will say "enjoy your summer, don't study, go back packing, etc." But seriously, Anatomy and Biochem at the same time, although I know I will force myself to handle it, it doesn't hurt to get a little bit of a head's start right?

PS. I'm not a gunner or a nerd. Just being realistic and prudent.

Members don't see this ad.

j0v1al said:
I am just curious as to how many people are going to be doing a little preparation before we begin classes in the end of August. I borrowed a couple of biochem books from the library, and I am trying to glance at them a little bit, just to be familiar with the vernacular. I took this past year off, and boy did I forget about 90% of all the orgo and other crap.

I'm certainly not going to be keeping my head in these books all day, just maybe an a few hours a week, to re-familiarize myself with the material. I know a lot of you guys will say "enjoy your summer, don't study, go back packing, etc." But seriously, Anatomy and Biochem at the same time, although I know I will force myself to handle it, it doesn't hurt to get a little bit of a head's start right?

I am doing the exact same thing... except I am focusing on anatomy and neuroanatomy. I don't really care about biochem :)

tinkerbelle said:
I am doing the exact same thing... except I am focusing on anatomy and neuroanatomy. I don't really care about biochem :)

I was thinking about doing the neuro and anatomy prep myself because my summer job is mindless and I have a lot of free time. Any suggestions on prep books at all? Somehow I think I will get enough of Rohen and Netter's in the fall!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
AlaskaGirl said:
I was thinking about doing the neuro and anatomy prep myself because my summer job is mindless and I have a lot of free time. Any suggestions on prep books at all? Somehow I think I will get enough of Rohen and Netter's in the fall!!!

There was another thread regarding anatomy books. Give it a search. I did consider going over some anatomy as well. A lot more interesting than biochem, that's for sure.

Yea, what is the best book to get a general sense of the anatomy without getting too intricate? And with nice pictures :p

AlaskaGirl said:

For neuroanatomy, I bought this great book by Sidman and Sidman. It looks ******ed, but once you start going through the problems, it really helps. It makes things so simple and the repetition really drills the points into your head.

For anatomy, I just bought a text book i see high school kids using. I figure it'll be easier to read and I'll get more of the main ideas than if I read a book geared towards college/med students.

I was told not to study before classes start by a few residents (independently of one another). Apparently schools have certain ways they want you to learn things and in studying before learning it formally, you may develop preconceptions that are difficult to unlearn.

I am planning on taking a whirlwind tour of the Northwest to visit some friends!!!!

tinkerbelle said:
For neuroanatomy, I bought this great book by Sidman and Sidman. It looks ******ed, but once you start going through the problems, it really helps. It makes things so simple and the repetition really drills the points into your head.

For anatomy, I just bought a text book i see high school kids using. I figure it'll be easier to read and I'll get more of the main ideas than if I read a book geared towards college/med students.

I had heard of Sidman & Sidman and plan on getting that, but at my school we don't have neuro till the spring semester. We hit anatomy hard in the first 7 weeks...that is all we have, so maybe I will check out the community college's basic anatomy book. Either that or the Anatomy Coloring Book!!!! :laugh:

AnotherDork said:
I was told not to do this by a few residents (independently of one another). Apparently schools have certain ways they want you to learn things and in studying before learning it formally, you may develop preconceptions that are difficult to unlearn.

I am planning on taking a whirlwind tour of the Northwest to visit some friends!!!!

Do what exactly?

I'm doing a 6 week summer program offered through my school, but other than that I plan to stay away from textbooks until school starts.

drslc134 said:
Do what exactly?

Sorry. Not to study on your own before school starts. I've edited my original post. Apologies for the confusion.

i'd rather take a dump on my face than study over the summer.

shawty ya'head said:
i'd rather take a dump on my face than study over the summer.

really? i think you underestimate the emotional scarring that dumping on your face can cause...not to mention the medical bills you will encounter from having your body pried straight from the contortion that sh*tting on your own face entails.

Studying is one thing, reading a book is another. It is possible to read textbooks/science books without taking notes and just absorbing what you will.

Again, I would reconsider your statement.

:thumbup:

Unfortunately I took a pretty challenging summer job working for a place called Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes. I shouldn't complain because it pays well but I would have really liked to prep for the onslaught of painfully rigorous coursework in the fall...So while I don't think I can get too serious about it i def plan to review my biochem, bio of the brain and anatomy books from undergrad -- all of which I kept.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I *always* try to get "ahead" in math before the class starts - but you can do this with math since... well, math is math.

I like to buy the textbook (even a year out of date is OK for this purpose) that the class uses, then bone up.

It *works* for math.

Want an advice from a medical student about to finish his second year? Don't study. Enjoy your free time while you still have it.

Ugh, I'm just trying to keep my head above water long enough to graduate from college...haven't really thought about the summer yet!

tinkerbelle said:

Hey tink, do you need to have any background in neuro to do the workbook? And are you using a neuro text along w/ it? Thanks!

tinkerbelle said:

Yeah I'm thinking about doing anatomy. The sad thing is that I took it in Jr. College but I did so horrible that I don't remember anything.

I try and do stuff like that (study in advance), but it normally falls apart after a week :smuggrin:

I'm most definitely not going to be studying this summer. I might regret it later but I'm gonna have some fun.

But on my long plane ride to and from Asia, I plan to do some work in a medical terminology workbook that helps you learn the roots of Greek and Latin medical words (a quick search on amazon with the keywords "medical terminology" brings out several.) This was suggested by a current med student and sounds interesting and useful. Definitely more fun than reading a textbook.

If anyone has a recommendation for a good workbook like that, let me know.

wow, that seems interesting! :thumbup:

I'd be interested in knowing some books too.

AlaskaGirl said:
I had heard of Sidman & Sidman and plan on getting that, but at my school we don't have neuro till the spring semester. We hit anatomy hard in the first 7 weeks...that is all we have, so maybe I will check out the community college's basic anatomy book. Either that or the Anatomy Coloring Book!!!! :laugh:

Heh, yeah I actually recommend the coloring book. A coworker of mine who actually also is an Anatomy/Physiology TA told me to buy the coloring book since I never took anatomy. It seems to be quite simple and not too intense. In my opinion, coloring is less intense of an activity than attempting to cram in tons of anatomical terms. It's a little soothing to the soul and helps me focus no keeping colors within the lines and not stressed to remember every word. By taking the time to color each specific part that they indicate, you get a good basis for anatomical structures and their names. However, it doesn't go into all that detail of Origin, Position, etc. Did anyone learn that stuff? How important is that and is that a more difficult part of memorizing anatomy?

j0v1al said:

If you really want to get ahead in Biochemistry, instead of looking at text books, get a Lippincott's and study it. Do a chapter a week. It's not that hard and you will be ready to ace biochem after that. I'm getting a clinical anatomy review book because anatomy's my scary class. I've taken upper-level biochem, and believe me, Lippincott's is where it's at!

Skichic56 said:
Hey tink, do you need to have any background in neuro to do the workbook? And are you using a neuro text along w/ it? Thanks!

Nope. I have no background in neuro, and I'm not using any other books... just the workbook. It's pretty easy to understand. At first, I was confused what lateral, superior, and cortex refered to, but as I went through the chapter, I figured it out. Other than that, everything else is easy to comprehend.

I'm so cunfused why people are studying biochem. I mean, it seems like biochem is just a mixture of stuff we learned in orgo, cell&molecular bio, and basic chem and shouldn't be hard to re-learn in med school. I never took biochem in undergrad, so maybe I just don't understand what I'm supposed to be learning here. Although I guess if y'all are studying biochem, I should too. Like one of the other posters said, I've heard Lippincott's is a great book.

my summer premed prep entails studying reruns of scrubs and getting in shape physically (running and biking) so that i have an exercise routine by the time i start school.

epalantequevoy said:
my summer premed prep entails studying reruns of scrubs and getting in shape physically (running and biking) so that i have an exercise routine by the time i start school.

I completely agree with starting an exercise routine! It is my goal to get on a workout plan before I start school. That way it isn't harder for me to have to transition into it and I don't get all soft and flabby because I start studying all the time vs. being active at my old job. I figure this summer is the only time for me to do it because I will have no time starting August 8th
!

I completely agree with starting an exercise routine!

Me too! I've started running again and I figure if I do it all summer, I'll get back into the habit of exercising daily. Exercising is such a great way to de-stress :)

This is not a flame ... more like an empassioned plea!

My SO is a resident and I've lived throught four years of his residency. Now I'm starting my MD in the fall ... Please, please, please go crazy, lick toads, travel, whatever. These are the last precious weeks in which you can live fully so that you may survive med school + residency!!!

And, um, I keep a copy of Clinical Anatomy in the bathroom.

prana_md said:
This is not a flame ... more like an empassioned plea!

My SO is a resident and I've lived throught four years of his residency. Now I'm starting my MD in the fall ... Please, please, please go crazy, lick toads, travel, whatever. These are the last precious weeks in which you can live fully so that you may survive med school + residency!!!

And, um, I keep a copy of Clinical Anatomy in the bathroom.
I'm going with this philosophy... live it up for three months! (Really I've been living it up the past year... but don't tell anyone)

I will most certainly be living up these last few precious summer months, most likely spent getting back in shape and losing about 30 pounds while cutting my body fat below 15%.

Seriously, this is off topic, but ever since I've been working full time, started June of 2004, I sit on my ass in front of a computer about 6 hours a day, and it sucks. I feel cheated because just a year and a half ago I was in pretty good shape. But getting back in shape is my top priority this summer.

One thing I've learned at my job is that molecular biology and biochemistry is extremely prevalent in medical research, through basic research and applying knowledge towards clinical care. So, I became really interested in all of it and I really want to learn the subject better, not just for the class next year but for the future.

Hopkins uses Stryer as was UMaryland five years ago (not sure if that's changed). My undergrad also used Stryer. What is this Lippincott of which you speak? Why doesn't Stryer ever come up on these threads?

Coming from a current M1: Please Please Please do not study. Take the time to mellow out and get bored--you will not remember what being bored is like next year. Travel. Exercise. Cook for yourself, but please, for the love of god, don't study. What I do recommend is buying your books early off of amazon. (Chungs Board Review is handy to have around the first week). Another thing I recommend is getting familiar with terms like supine, prone, lateral, etc. But that can be done during orientation week. Take it easy guys; there's plenty of time to "gun" during your first year.

BlueMagpie said:
I'm doing a 6 week summer program offered through my school, but other than that I plan to stay away from textbooks until school starts.

Hey cool, me too! Are you gonna be here at UVa for MAAP? Maybe I'll see you around :)

tinkerbelle said:
I'm so cunfused why people are studying biochem. I mean, it seems like biochem is just a mixture of stuff we learned in orgo, cell&molecular bio, and basic chem and shouldn't be hard to re-learn in med school. I never took biochem in undergrad, so maybe I just don't understand what I'm supposed to be learning here. Although I guess if y'all are studying biochem, I should too. Like one of the other posters said, I've heard Lippincott's is a great book.

What's unique to biochem (judging from my undergrad course): metabolic pathways. May've had a bit of that in other courses, but not so many in so much detail.

That said ... I have no plans to study anything this summer. Hope I won't regret it, but I just feel like school is going to start soon enough anyway! Instead, I'll be:

. reading more Tolkien
. reading more anything-not-science-related
. spending time with my family (and everyone else I'm about to move 12 hours away from!)
. going to friends' weddings (practically a full-time job when all your friends are in their early 20s :))
. working
. etc.

Yeah, I realize most of you guys are probably doing all this stuff (or such like) in *addition* to studying. Maybe I'm just lazy!

Since next semester is going to be rape for me, I will have to study over the summer. I know it sucks, but what can I do? I might buy an Anatomy & Physiology Barron Review book and an Organic Chemistry Barron Review book.

foobear said:
I'm most definitely not going to be studying this summer. I might regret it later but I'm gonna have some fun.

But on my long plane ride to and from Asia, I plan to do some work in a medical terminology workbook that helps you learn the roots of Greek and Latin medical words (a quick search on amazon with the keywords "medical terminology" brings out several.) This was suggested by a current med student and sounds interesting and useful. Definitely more fun than reading a textbook.

If anyone has a recommendation for a good workbook like that, let me know.

I have a "medical terminology" class right now and we have a text called The Language of Medicine by Davi-Ellen Chabner. It sounds exactly like what you need. It has word parts but it also talks about some diseases for each system which make it interesting.

i have an anatomy book next to the john. i get a good 40 mins in a day :thumbup: