who's doing second looks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bob Loblaw

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing two... not going out of state though. How about you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

The two programs I emailed about second looks never got back to me. Later I found out from one of our very reputable faculty that it's pretty rare to do "second looks"...the logic is that, for one, it's kinda late, for two, the end results don't change that much--at this time what's done is usually done, or almost done. And based on what I've seen from other specialties from the last class, these points seemed to be true.

Also, he said "if you're going to look (interview) a program for the second time, don't you think it's only fair for THEM to look (interview) YOU for a Second time?" :idea: Harsh as it may sound, there's some truth in that.

So, I decided to keep quiet about any second looks. What's done is done, I seriously doubt second looks can drastically change any selection committee's already formed opinion. I suppose the only good is help you make a more informed ranking list....although there's also this thing called "too much information"....

neogeo said:
The two programs I emailed about second looks never got back to me. Later I found out from one of our very reputable faculty that it's pretty rare to do "second looks"...the logic is that, for one, it's kinda late, for two, the end results don't change that much--at this time what's done is usually done, or almost done. And based on what I've seen from other specialties from the last class, these points seemed to be true.

Also, he said "if you're going to look (interview) a program for the second time, don't you think it's only fair for THEM to look (interview) YOU for a Second time?" :idea: Harsh as it may sound, there's some truth in that.

So, I decided to keep quiet about any second looks. What's done is done, I seriously doubt second looks can drastically change any selection committee's already formed opinion. I suppose the only good is help you make a more informed ranking list....although there's also this thing called "too much information"....

I agree. Second looks are there for YOU. The selection committee will most likely not be swayed by a second look. Really it is your chance to check out a program again and decided if you want to rank them #1, nothing more.

I kind of think second looks are not usefull, unless you trully don't know whom you'll rank #1.

If you are doing second looks, because you think that'll help your acceptance chances, that's a waste of time and money. A more appropriate thing is to email or send a letter to the PD, telling him/her how much you love their program and yada yada yada....

Members don't see this ad :)
That's surprising how unamenable programs were to your interests. I asked 9 of my programs whether I could hang out in some way, and all of them were very kind and accomodated me. One program WAS resistant, at first, but I persisted and they accomodated me anyway. For about half, I showed up the day before my interview to round and/or go to clinic. This was a great way to go because you met everyone, residents & faculty, in their true environment. Got to see their true colors (they forget you're there and witnessed some behind the scenes drama), got to observe first hand the quality of your potential resident colleagues, and was able to role play (they often included me in discussions). By the next day, you were relaxed and better informed about the program and could ask more insightful, useful questions. At two programs, I just pointblank asked my interviewer if I could hang out with them for the rest of the day and ended up going to their specialty clinics. All the rest, I came back the next day.

For the programs that I did not get a chance to hang out with (didn't discover this until later on in the interview season), I can't even begin to compare my flat-one dimensional impressions of those places with my multi-dimensional experiences at the other places.

After doing this with a few programs, I learned really fast what I was looking for in a program and even in my career.

It's probably improbable, logistically, for everyone to do this... But it was an amazing experience seeing the cross-sectional state of neurology across the country. If you really are having difficult with deciding between one or two places, I think it is way well worth it to insist on a second look someway, somehow. And if they won't do it, well then, isn't that perhaps telling of your potential experiences there as a resident?

discgoddess said:
That's surprising how unamenable programs were to your interests. I asked 9 of my programs whether I could hang out in some way, and all of them were very kind and accomodated me. One program WAS resistant, at first, but I persisted and they accomodated me anyway. For about half, I showed up the day before my interview to round and/or go to clinic. This was a great way to go because you met everyone, residents & faculty, in their true environment. Got to see their true colors (they forget you're there and witnessed some behind the scenes drama), got to observe first hand the quality of your potential resident colleagues, and was able to role play (they often included me in discussions). By the next day, you were relaxed and better informed about the program and could ask more insightful, useful questions. At two programs, I just pointblank asked my interviewer if I could hang out with them for the rest of the day and ended up going to their specialty clinics. All the rest, I came back the next day.

For the programs that I did not get a chance to hang out with (didn't discover this until later on in the interview season), I can't even begin to compare my flat-one dimensional impressions of those places with my multi-dimensional experiences at the other places.

After doing this with a few programs, I learned really fast what I was looking for in a program and even in my career.

It's probably improbable, logistically, for everyone to do this... But it was an amazing experience seeing the cross-sectional state of neurology across the country. If you really are having difficult with deciding between one or two places, I think it is way well worth it to insist on a second look someway, somehow. And if they won't do it, well then, isn't that perhaps telling of your potential experiences there as a resident?

Although I agree with everything you said...but, um, technically, what you did is an "in-depth" look, not a "second look." They're not exactly the same, but I suppose what you did is actually better.

The second looks are for my benefit, really, because I don't think you get to see a lot on interview day at some places other than some propaganda. For those of you doing second looks, are you meeting with the PDs again?