Who's doing the ABPN Pilot Project?

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by wolfvgang22, Mar 24, 2018.

?

Who's doing the MOC Pilot program?

1. I'm not eligible

2. Yes, I'll give it a try

3. No

4. I'm undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. wolfvgang22

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    While I really like the idea of never taking another MOC exam, I'm not sure taking one for the team and doing the open book article tests from 2019 to 2021 makes sense for me, especially since you have to get 100% on those article questions or be forced to take the exam anyway with only two chances to pass.

My next MOC exam is due in 2023 and the ABPN FAQ says they plan to start giving everybody the option of doing article quizes instead of the traditional exam in 2022, so I'm thinking I can just wait and see how bad the article quizes are and choose my poison in 2023.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. nitemagi

nitemagi Senior Member
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thinking about it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WingedOx

WingedOx Unofficial Froopyland Forum Mod.
    Gold Donor 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think I'm just outside of the date of eligibility. Mixed feelings about it, to be honest.

4. aim-agm

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not relevant to me, but I ran the numbers on an earlier post and it didn't look like a good idea. Because of the way the test is structured, if you want to have the same 99% odds of passing as people who take the written test, you have to have at least a 98% chance of getting any given question right.

5. TikiTorches

Physician Verified Account 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I thought you only needed to answer 4 out of 5 questions on each quiz correctly to pass. This whole thing is confusing. You have to find the articles on your own and pay for that.

6. SeniorWrangler

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You can do up to 40 CME articles before you run out of chances, is my understanding. Worst case scenario, I don't pass and I have to study for the exam which is what I'd have to do anyway. I'm not worried about not passing so it is not a big deal.

7. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo New Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My main concern would be the cost of the 30 to 40 articles that would need to be reviewed to complete this project. I don't understand why ABPN is not covering the cost of these articles, which could potentially run into hundreds or perhaps even thousands of dollars beyond the cost incurred for MOC and taking the MOC test.

nexus73 and Bad Moose like this.
  8. FlowRate

Resident [Any Field]
    As an aside, what do people out in the world do to get article access? I'm fortunate that our med school provides ongoing medical library / full-text after graduation (and I'm still in residency where we have similar resources). I have a hard time imagining that anyone pays $50+++ a pop for articles having only read the ****ty abstract...

9. clausewitz2

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    *coughcough* Scihub *coughcough*

Amygdarya, phonyreal98 and splik like this.
  10. tr

tr inert protoplasm
    Physician PhD Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    See if you can get an alumni library account through your med school or undergraduate institution. There will be some kind of yearly fee but should absolutely be worth it.

11. michaelrack

michaelrack All In at the wrong time
    Physician Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I took the MOC exam last year and would much rather take it again in 9 years than do this lame pilot project

12. nexus73

2+ Year Member

I don't see the downside in signing up. If you complete it, you don't have to cram and take a day off to test. If you don't, just take the test.

13. TikiTorches

Physician Verified Account 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So we pay the yearly fees for moc, pay for the articles, and if you dont pass the articles, the test is already paid for with the yearly fees? Or are there more fees for the exam?

I am due for renewal in 2022 so would the articles be enough to not have to take the test, provided they are passed? Are there cme credits for the articles?

This is too confusing. I may just go with npbas.

14. OP
    OP
    wolfvgang22

Attending Physician
    Got this email from the ABPN
    I went ahead and signed up. I figure there's nothing to lose, because if the questions are **** I can just drop out of the pilot.

15. MacDonaldTriad

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No real skin in this game, but the MOC test pass rate is 98%. Unless you are the dumbest psychiatrist in every room you stand in, you really don't need to study. On the other hand, I like the idea of reading articles and answering questions. This is much more likely to teach doctors something than assuming they study for a test 98% of people pass. Since reading is something we should all be doing anyway, I would suggest the pilot. I do get the projected hate towards doing anything for the ABPN who makes these tasks that are inflicted on us. If I were king of the ABPN, I would start grading psychiatrist's test performance and make them put As, Bs or Cs in their windows like restaurants. Wouldn't that be fun. Since the task is to certify people, they have to keep the bar very low, but then that makes the whole process meaningless. At least a reading curriculum has a chance at making some difference.

16. OP
    OP
    wolfvgang22

Attending Physician
    It would be nice if we could earn some CME reading these articles, too.

17. Doctor Freud

So the MOC exam is pretty easy?

18. Doctor Freud

Can you just drop out with no penalty?

19. OP
    OP
    wolfvgang22

Attending Physician
    Yes.

Doctor Freud likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    wolfvgang22

Attending Physician
    For me, on a scale of 1 to 10, if USMLE Step 1 were a 10, I would give the board certification exam a 5.5. For me PRITE exams were about the same difficulty as the board exam.

I'm just so damn tired of tests, tests, tests. I welcome trying the new MOC journal article open book test approach.

Doctor Freud likes this.
  21. michaelrack

Attending Physician
    Yes, the psych moc has a higher pass rate than other specialties

Doctor Freud likes this.
  22. Doctor Freud

Michael,

Thanks for your response.

Do you know what the pass rate is for the psychiatry MOC exam?

I am considering doing the Pilot Project as I am dreading reviewing a bunch of material I no longer use, such as child psychiatry. I easily passed the initial certification exam, if the MOC exam is really a lot easier maybe I should just do that.

23. michaelrack

Attending Physician
    the pass rate was 98 % in 2016; and it is usually in the high 90's.

wolfvgang22 likes this.
  24. whopper

whopper Former jolly good fellow
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm in it. Can't really tell you much so far. The questions for the journal articles aren't available till January.

25. OP
    OP
    wolfvgang22

Attending Physician
    I've got all the articles if you need them.

26. alina_s

alina_s Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm in. I have to do general and child and adolescent. The article list for child was much easier to get. I still have a WA license, and that lets me use the HEAL-WA resources, plus AACAP membership gets me JAACAP. I think I got 38 or 39 of the child articles for free. I am not an APA member and couldn't get even 30 articles. I guess I have to splurge on APA membership.