Who's familiar with my anatomy textbooks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rangardrum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm getting ready to start my anatomy course/lab (finishing up prereqs over the course of this year, so it's just this and two physiology courses to go). I was wondering if anyone used any of these textbooks to help them take on anatomy. Thanks!

"Essential Clinical Anatomy" (4th edition) (Keith Moore, Anne Agur, Arthur Dalley)

"Clinical Kinesiology and Anatomy" (5th edition) (Lynn Lippert)

"Trail Guide to the Body" (4th edition) (Andrew Biel)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming you are using these books for undergrad and not PT school? The trail guide is a book that focuses on palpation of bony landmarks and major muscles. We use it in PT school to get better at palpation of muscles we are going to be testing. I don't think it would help with an actual anatomy course. It could be somewhat useful in an undergrad course, but in PT school you are required to know all of the muscles and this book only focuses on the main ones you can palpate and does not focus on any nerve innervation or blood supply. I would recommend getting a Netter Atlas. It will be VERY helpful with understanding the origins and insertions and will be crucial during PT school.

Yes, these are for my undergrad anatomy course and lab.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Members don't see this ad :)
The Trail Guide is AMAZING, but is definitely towards palpations/how to find landmarks on the body so I think it'll be great for PT school, but it would've been useless to me in my undergrad course. However, the flashcards that go with the Trail Guide would probably be useful as they show origin, insertion, innervation and action...

Honestly, photo-wise I think Grey's Anatomy has the best photos (go for the student edition) and I also liked my anatomy book from undergrad, but I'll have to go look at it, because I don't have it with me at the moment and couldn't find it by searching on amazon since there are so many...

Hi everyone. I'm getting ready to start my anatomy course/lab (finishing up prereqs over the course of this year, so it's just this and two physiology courses to go). I was wondering if anyone used any of these textbooks to help them take on anatomy. Thanks!

"Essential Clinical Anatomy" (4th edition) (Keith Moore, Anne Agur, Arthur Dalley)

"Clinical Kinesiology and Anatomy" (5th edition) (Lynn Lippert)

"Trail Guide to the Body" (4th edition) (Andrew Biel)

I have the newer version of Moore's textbook, although it is now titled "Clinically Oriented Anatomy". The guy like gets a book published every other year, it's ridiculous. As anatomy has not changed that much recently and undergraduate anatomy is nowhere near as intensive as PT anatomy, it should be fine for the undergraduate level. The book will give you much more information than necessary, but it should be good practice for later on.

I have not used Trail Guide or Clinical Kin & Anat. You don't really need an atlas, unless you'll have dissections. I would then recommend Thieme Atlas of Anatomy or Netters Atlas of Anatomy.

When I looked at the Trail Guide text, I did kind of wonder about how it will be used for this undergrad anatomy class. I guess I'll find out starting next week!

I also got the Gray's Anatomy for Students Flashcards, which I thought might be useful for reviewing before PT school to try to keep everything fairly fresh.

Let us know! I'd be interested to see what your anatomy course does! :) (And I apologize, I misread the OP and thought you were asking about what books were good books for anatomy in general)

Let us know! I'd be interested to see what your anatomy course does! :) (And I apologize, I misread the OP and thought you were asking about what books were good books for anatomy in general)

Sure thing. I'm reading the first chapter of the Trail Guide now. I like all the little "practice" activities suggested. I keep stopping to try things out, haha.