Who's going to NYU??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats hossaiaa!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrat. cheek!! Look forward to seeing you all...

Cheeks and kimchiro.... Congrats...
looking forward to seeing u in the fall

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone! Have you guys started thinking about where you'll be living?

I am going up to NY around mid-May and am planning to spend about a month to look around to figure out the best option.

Definitely live near the school if you can.

My sister commuted her entire four years to and from NYUCD from Queens and it sucked. She had to spend 3 hours in the subway every day until my parents took pity on her and bought her a car during her senior year, which wasn't much better because she'd be stuck in the biggest parking lot in the world known as the Long Island Expressway while waiting to cross the Midtown Tunnel into Manhattan. :p

Save yourselves the aggravation and just live near the school!

yeah, as long as you live in Manhattan you should be all good, preferably on the east side. the 6 train stops right at 23rd and lex.

Yeah I go to grad school at NYU now so I already have an apartment, unfortunately its on the west side of the city. Not too bad though, the L train is right by me and I can take that to union square and transfer to the 6 train from there. As far as apartment hunting went, I came out here last July to look for places for a week. Looked through the village voice and new york times and called people to set up appointments. Also, if you have set up your nyuhome email account already (you can do that once you have received enrollment information) after signing in click on the research tab in the upper right corner. Then click on the student housing registry link on the left hand side of the page. You can search apartments through NYU from there. Thanks for the congrats everyone and congrats to you all as well. See ya in the fall.

Hello everyone...

Just wanna catch up with everyone and wanted to say CONGRATS to everyone on being accepted.

I am soooo excited and cannot wait to meet all of you!! Just from these post, it seems like we'll have an awesome class!!

I can't wait... Hope we all can keep in touch until then!!

email me!

did u guys send in u r second deposit????????????

Hey guys and gals,

Firstly I just wanna congratulate you all for getting accepted at NYU, and secondly, hopefully ill see yall there too.

I have an interview with Amy Knowles comign up and I just wanted some tips. I know shes really friendly, and Im thinking its gonna be laid back....althoigh I will be really prepared for it. I know the generic questions, but the one where they ask you "if u had a patient that you didnt like and they asked you if you liked them..whta would u say?" Im sure I know what I would say, but I just wanna see what you guys said since you all are accepted already...seems like a good bunch to ask.

Also any other tips or anythign would be really helpful. Wish me luck! and thanks!

Vishal

Whats up Vancouver,

Wish I could help you, but I didnt get asked that question. In fact, I didnt really get asked any hard questions, it was a good conversation. It lasted an hour and twenty minutes which I was totally not expecting. You should be fine though. One question though, how do you know for sure that Amy Knowles is going to be the person interviewing you? When I got there it was totally random. I was the first one there that morning and all the interviewers were just sittin around and two got up and one of them said you want to take him, and the other said sure I'll do it. Either way, good luck.

Andy

Hey fellow Canadian,

I had that question on my interview and I made the stupid mistake of giving the "wrong" answer. I said I would be honest and tell my patient the truth and tell him maybe he should find another dentist that may provide better care for your needs.....

This was the wrong choice, my interviewer (some old guy, NOT Amy Knowles) said that the better answer would have been to lie to the guy and tell him, you're an excellent patient......and smile.. :D
Because the patient has been loyal to you and giving you business, even if you don't like him, it's still your job to provide care for him

Then my interviewer tells me, "I like u", u should have no problems getting in at NYU....have a nice day.....I was so relieved.....

So even though I gave the wrong answer.....I was still accepted at NYU....so bottom line don't worry if u give the wrong answer.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TO-boy

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same interviewer, Dr.weisselberg. I told him that i would not tell the patient that i don't like him. Then he said that's the right answer.
so if u asked the question say no. He also asked me if everyone in the wolrd is nice I said No.

Thanks a bunch guys, I tell ya this NYU bunch is an awesome class. Atleast most are friendly not stuck up competitive A$$holes not willing to help you out. right on guys (and gals).

cheeks: I phoned her and asker Amy the structure of the interview and she told me it was gonna be just me and her. So I dont know how to take this. Good? bad?? I guess Ill find out. I know shes really really nice, I just hope shes not Jekyll and Hyde and goes opposite on me.

TO: Thanks a lot. I was actually leaning over towards saying, "yes", just to make treatment easier. Although thats a two-faced lie, and when god hears it youre going to hell (kidding)

Just a couple more questions. Where did you guys stay?? Do you know if they have any more scholarships left over to hand out?? I know they give 25 G and 10 G ones, man that would be sweet. Anything I should know about, any unexpecteds?? I know its just me and Amy, one on one. She said theres no other interviewees. Is that good? bad?

Thanks again guys.

Vishal

Dr Weisselberg must love that question. I was interviewed by him back in Dec and towards the end of the interview (which involved eating a muffin and drinking coffee with him in some other guys office)he asked me the same type of question. Then he said "good answer !!!!" and told me I should watch for the mail because there is going to be a nice letter from NYU coming soon.

Who else is part of the Weisselberg posse?

The interview with Mrs. Knowles is really laid back, she lets you control the pace of the interview, she asks you the basic questions like why dentisty, what are your strenghts and what are your weaknesses, etc. Its very informal, there were people walking in and out of the office. Good luck on your interview, let me know if you need anything, i'm sure you'll do fine.

Rupesh

Amy Knowles if VERY nice, but VERY fake.......she is like a walking commercial. Trust me, when you meet her, you wonder if she is human, or just some NYU robot that they turn on every morning to give the daily "you should come to NYU" spiel. Trust me....walking NYU commercial.

avingupta said:
walking NYU commercial.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's so true!!!!! But she's a nice lady, I've bugged her so much and she's been very patient with me.....

Vacouver: I stayed at the Ramada Inn East Side.....it was a decent hotel, pretty cheap but it takes 10-15 minutes to walk to NYU....or u can take a cab...

Everything should be fine, no real suprises....just smile :D and say how much u love NY....u'll get in....

TO-boy

I said this in another NYU thread, but dont waste your money on hotels...why not try a hostel?? The American Dream Hostel is just down the street from NYU dental...just step out the door and walk 3 mins and you are there!

If you dont mind sleeping in a dorm, its only $40/person, but if you want your own private room its only $60/person. Its still a bit expensive on hostel standards, because I have never paid more than $15/night for any hostel Ive ever been in, but its much much cheaper than the Marcel! And you can meet backpackers from all over the world and perhaps tour around with them if you have the time....So you should really check it out...here is the website:

http://www.americandreamhostel.com

I am going!!!!! HipHipHorraaaaayyyy!!! :clap:

I can't wait to start!! All of us forum members should get together before orientation. It would be kinda cool to put faces to everyones names/handles.

yeah!
:) :D

Did Anyone Recieve Anything From The Financial Aid Office? It's Been A Month Since I Renewied My Financial Aid Application!!

Impmail101 said:
Did Anyone Recieve Anything From The Financial Aid Office? It's Been A Month Since I Renewied My Financial Aid Application!!
Same here but no word from Financial Aid yet. As far as getting together, when do on-campus housing open? Maybe we all can move in a few days early and chill out. Great idea, Liberty.

I agree, I can't wait to meet everyone.....

I say on the first day, we all carry signs around with our forum nicknames on it....... :idea: :idea: :idea:

TO-boy

I'm pleased to be joining you guys and gals this fall!

sxr71 said:
My decision was made easy for me!
Who can pass an offer like that?!!!

Good Job!

avingupta said:
Amy Knowles if VERY nice, but VERY fake.......she is like a walking commercial. Trust me, when you meet her, you wonder if she is human, or just some NYU robot that they turn on every morning to give the daily "you should come to NYU" spiel. Trust me....walking NYU commercial.
As someone who worked in sales for years I can tell you that admissions people working at all schools aren't much different. They are trying to advertise their schools to get the best students possible. Obviously Temple's strategy worked very well on you since you've been bashing Columbia on the other thread saying how great Temple is. They are all sales men, Columbia, Temple, NYU. The differences are in the selling strategies they use. NYU adopted a straight forward one to recruit those students they are looking for. Columbia also adopted a strategy where among many things they play on students insecurities by dropoing the "ivy league" bomb once or twice.

speter33 said:
As someone who worked in sales for years I can tell you that admissions people working at all schools aren't much different. They are trying to advertise their schools to get the best students possible. Obviously Temple's strategy worked very well on you since you've been bashing Columbia on the other thread saying how great Temple is. They are all sales men, Columbia, Temple, NYU. The differences are in the selling strategies they use. NYU adopted a straight forward one to recruit those students they are looking for. Columbia also adopted a strategy where among many things they play on students insecurities by dropoing the "ivy league" bomb once or twice.

Hey *******, I wasnt saying anything about NYU so stop trying to pick a fight....Amy Knowles is a robot, end of story.

avingupta said:
Hey *******, I wasnt saying anything about NYU so stop trying to pick a fight....Amy Knowles is a robot, end of story.

And a famous one too!!!

avingupta said:
I'll smack the sheat out of you son.

*edit*
P.S. stop picking on Amy, we all got issues, god only knows all the medications she has to take for hers.

speter33 said:
I'll smack the sheat out of you son.

As your Ivy League genius president once said, "Bring it on" :laugh:

If you're not going to NYU, I say get on it and take it somewhere else. Let the rest of us get to know each other.

welcome to the NYU gang, godiva.......

Anyone interested in possibly sharing a 2 bedroom apartment with a 22 year old male joining the 4-year DDS program? I keep my room neat and I'm easy to get along with. I'm quiet and not into excessive partying. I'm not 100% sure where I'm going to live, but I'm thinking 26th St. Apts. If you're like me and this sounds good, post here or PM me!

hossaiaa said:
If you're not going to NYU, I say get on it and take it somewhere else. Let the rest of us get to know each other.

Easy there cowboy.......

I will be going to NYU this fall. I am so excited to move to the city and meet all of you! :luck:

hi-speed513 said:
I will be going to NYU this fall. I am so excited to move to the city and meet all of you! :luck:

speed:

CONGRATS! on the acceptance and your decision to attend NYU. May I ask when you interviewed? Who was your interviewer? When were you accepted? I recently interviewed and I am waiting for their decision.

Thanks

lake04

for those who are getting accepted now when is your deposit due?

within three weeks of the letter of acceptance...

anyone thinking of living off campus?

Anyone know of other apartments in the area? Since I dont want live through NYU housing.

Aug 23..........my fellow comrades......................can't wait...MAZ

i just called NYU to find out if they got my deposit. I talked to Amy knowles.
she mentioned that they still have to do an audit on everyone. Anyone know what that mean?

ddsdds said:
anyone thinking of living off campus?

I am, but I keep thinking that living in NYU housing for the first year is pretty convenient. It gives you time to become familiar with NYC neighborhoods when looking. All the reasonably priced apartments are in the east 70s, or in some lower east side neighborhood near Houston Street. Apartments in Gramercy Park are really expensive.

Im assuming that the audit means that they are going to go through each accepted applicant's file and see if they have anything missing like health forms and financial aid, etc. Maybe they will also check to see if all the prereqs have been met as well??? Dont know for sure. If someone does know though, let me know.

Hey Guys, This is my first post this year. I used to be on this board last year when applying and haven't been back since. Let me first say I am here at NYU and want to give you all a heads up on living in 26th st. First off don't think this place will be anything at all like undergrad. We used to keep our doors open and people would stop by all the time. 26th st Not true. Everyone here is older, they keep to themselves and you will be lucky to know half your floor. Now with that said, I am very outgoing, I made it a point to meet people on my floor, but with the mix of 30yr olds and 2nd yr dental students, not everyone wants to meet you. I know one floor that everyone goes out and thats 2 dental students and the rest are all nutrition students. So what I am saying is don't get your hopes up of making great friends on your floor. Your friends will be made in Dental school and those will be the ones you keep in touch with.

As for the building itself, the one and only good thing is the location. With that said this place is a Rat hole. Rooms are small, problems with everything you have in your apartment, FIRE DRILLS at all hours of the night. Yes even grad students either think its funny to pull the alarm or just still never learned how to open a window when they cook. Your lucky if you get your mail, because besides one nice girl at the front desk they all suck, and the Whole signing people in process will really start to wear on you by the end of the year.

Well I hope that helps you guys out in really knowing what your getting yourself into this up coming year, and I look forward to meeting you guys.
Mike