Who's going to NYU??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mike, I take it you're moving out of 26th for your second year. Any places in particular you would recommend that's very close to campus?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm actually looking right now, but there is so much in this area, that is really nice and much cheaper than this place. You also need ot keep in mind something they don't tell you, is 26th st is a lease for the school yr. What they don't tell you its a school yr based on undergrad. So you pay $11000 to live here from august to may and that's your lease. What they don't tell you is NYU dental 1st yr goes until june, so you need to apply for summer housing and extend your lease through july, which is another $3000. Way to much to pay for this place. Just letting you guys know the truth, as for where to look check out www.realestate.nytimes.com they have a lot of stuff for a good price compared to 26th st.
Mike

I am going. Is there anyone looking to live in Chelsea (off 23rd-bus goes straight down to school) or east village? I'm a nerd, but sensitive to my surroundings, as well. I'd like to live in a lively neighborhood. let me know if interested. I heard, as far as student housing, Stuyvesant (sp?) is pretty nice too. (1200+internet+phone) but you should request something closer to the school, so you don't end up with something on 15th+C. 26th seems convienent all utilities included, close, but it's even pricier. craigslist, also seems to be a good place for apartment hunting. see you soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont think you need to be right by the school as long as you are close to transportation that takes you there without having to change. that makes the entire east side of manhattan available to you.

What Manhattan neighbourhood is NYU dental school located in?? What's it called? EASTSIDE???

Can anyone suggest safe neighbourhood to look for apartments? Around the dental school and not too far???

Thanks

These days we just call it Lower East Side, but the obscure name for the place is Kip's Bay I think, which encompasses the waterside area from the United Nations down to the Bellevue Hospital Center complex.

The area in which NYUCD is located is a pretty good neighborhood as far as NYC goes.. The East Side north of 23rd Street is a good neighborhood, all the way up to 96th Street (beyond which is the notorious neighborhood of Harlem).

The only complaint I have about the NYUCD area is that it's so friggin' far from the subways. :D

i was wondering if anyone was looking for a roommate off campus? i am thinking about sharing an apartment with a roommate but would love to live with someone with more things in common than just being D1 at NYU in August even though that is a big commonality. if anyone is interested in chatting about this, would love to hear from you...

TO-boy said:
What Manhattan neighbourhood is NYU dental school located in?? What's it called? EASTSIDE???

Can anyone suggest safe neighbourhood to look for apartments? Around the dental school and not too far???

Thanks

Hey TO-boy, the area that the dental school is in is called Gramercey park. Yes its on the Eastside of the city and you can say you live on the eastside, but the actually area is Gramercey Park. Like I did looking for a place to live, when you do searches it will ask you specific areas. Pretty much if you want to live close to the school, you need to do searches only in Gramercey Park, and Murray hill. Both are very nice areas. Someone also posted that the area is sometimes known as Kips Bay, so if thats a choice on the search just plug that one in too.
hope this helps
Mike

Hey I am planning on attending NYU this Fall and was wondering if someone else is looking for a roomate. Im going to be staying at 26th Street Apts for the year. I dont party at all and am East Indian. I will be visiting NY in June from the 7th-11th. I could meet up with you and get to know you before orientation arrives in August.

Also, which loans are preferred out of the following:
1) Citibank Loan
2) Sallie Mae Loan

Any thoughts or recommendations???????????

Thanks,

Rocky

how much do you all plan on borrowing for the first year?

Take out the max and return what you don't use. Can't go wrong that route. Better to be safe than sorry. Would suck to get kicked out of d-school because you can't pay your bills

Members don't see this ad :)
i had no idea you could give back money once you borrow it. does that pertain to stafford loans only? or also to the private loans? i think im gonna borrow about $220K over the 4 years of dental school....is this in line what other people borrow or will i be sunk after i graduate?

big dogg said:
i had no idea you could give back money once you borrow it. does that pertain to stafford loans only? or also to the private loans? i think im gonna borrow about $220K over the 4 years of dental school....is this in line what other people borrow or will i be sunk after i graduate?

$220K for 4 years at NYU??? HAHHAH....Good Luck......I hear those NYC gutters can get kinda grimey, so I Hope thats not your plan for housing....

Dr.BadVibes said:
$220K for 4 years at NYU??? HAHHAH....Good Luck......I hear those NYC gutters can get kinda grimey, so I Hope thats not your plan for housing....

Well, the NYU library is pretty clean.. :D

Seriously though, I think in most instances one has to pair up with a roommate or two to afford those apartments in Manhattan... Otherwise it's commuting in from Jersey, Queens, the Bronx, or Brooklyn where rent is cheaper... Commuting 40 minutes each way would be as much as I can tolerate though.

are you saying that $220K is less than most people who attend nyu borrow? or is this more? im actually paying the balance myself. i will be living off campus in my current apartment.

to big dogg:

Yep, $220K is pretty darn good for NYU.

My sister lived at home (did not have to pay rent) and she owed $250K by the time she graduated from NYUCD in 2000. She did take a few vacations using that loan money though. ;)

You are good to go!

but biggdogg is living in his current apartment, so he must still pay rent.....NYU estimates about 280K for the 4 years, but at the interview, she said be prepared to spend 300K......

Tom, that seems like a lot of money with no rent. Was that only for four years, or did that include a residency? do you know around how much her payments per month are? and how long does it take to pay all that off normaly? Thanks for your help!! :D

Yup, my sister went through NYUCD in 4 years. She did do a 1-year GPR program across the street at Bellevue (which paid a $40,000 stipend), though they closed down that program in 2002.

I think she's on the 30-year payment plan... Works out to about $1700 per month I think. I'll ask her when I move back to NYC a few days from now.

An expression you will hear pretty often from the upperclassmen at NYUCD is "drop in the bucket." Basically they don't think much of spending another couple thousand of dollars on vacations and stuff like that because it's a drop in the bucket compared to what they already owe. That's why my sister and her classmates took a few very nice vacations with the remaining loan money-- To places like Pago Pago in the South Pacific or a month-long jaunt through Europe. :D

Hey tom....I know your sister is doing well, but $1700/month for 30 years seems like a helluva lot of money to pay back.......damn! Doesnt she get pissed writing those cheques every month? You must be happy you went to Buffalo, eh! :cool:

All I can say is: :D

Seriously though, her plan is to hang onto that loan because it's "cheap money"-- When she consolidated her student loans it was at 4% I think. Much better rate than a mortgage for a house. I don't know if it's useful for tax deduction purposes though (I heard something to that effect though). All those things might come together to make it worthwhile to hang onto a student loan, so I heard. I'll have to ask.

Me, I'm consolidating my loans now-- My rate should be even lower than that. :hardy:

yah Tom.....you got damn lucky cause interest rates have been VERY VERY low for you during your dental education......bastard!

The rate is great for me right now, but Im sure they are gonna be raised a lot during my next 4 years.....and by the time I graduate and try and consolidate, I dont know if Ill get a good rate.......at the current rates, consolidating loans is AMAZING!!!!!!! Lucky bastard! :(

UBTom said:

Seriously though, her plan is to hang onto that loan because it's "cheap money"-- When she consolidated her student loans it was at 4% I think. Much better rate than a mortgage for a house. I don't know if it's useful for tax deduction purposes though (I heard something to that effect though). All those things might come together to make it worthwhile to hang onto a student loan, so I heard. I'll have to ask.

Me, I'm consolidating my loans now-- My rate should be even lower than that. :hardy:

I don't know but $250k at 4% for 30 years sounds more like $1193 a month. In any case, I completely agree with your sister's philosophy on taking the longest term loan. It really is more than cheap money, it is almost free money. If you think you can make more than 4% return (which I am confident of) on the investments you choose then you actually make money by holding the loan for as long as you can.

Rocky21 said:
Hey I am planning on attending NYU this Fall and was wondering if someone else is looking for a roomate. Im going to be staying at 26th Street Apts for the year. I dont party at all and am East Indian. I will be visiting NY in June from the 7th-11th. I could meet up with you and get to know you before orientation arrives in August.

Also, which loans are preferred out of the following:
1) Citibank Loan
2) Sallie Mae Loan

Any thoughts or recommendations???????????

Thanks,

Rocky

Hey Rocky,
Check your PM if you see this message. I'll be in NYC during the same time.

UBTom said:

Hey UBTom, I will be attending NYU Dental School next year. Could you tell me where your sister got her loans from?

1)Sallie/Nellie Mae
2)Citibank

Thanks I would really appreciate it

hossaiaa said:
Hey Rocky,
Check your PM if you see this message. I'll be in NYC during the same time.

Hey hossaiaa, I just recieved your PM. Thats cool you will be in NYC during that time. Do you have screen name or Cell #? We should definitely go and checkout the housing and school together.

Rocky

Hi Rocky,

My sister got her loans through Sallie Mae. She did consolidate her loans though, which means it's being handled now by some other loan servicer. I'll have to ask her for the details when I get back to NYC a few days from now.

HTH!

Sorry if the topic has been discussed before, but how are the people living on campus choosing roomates? Potluck?...........MAZ

Have some bad news for you all. Not sure it will affect you but as of now they will not allow transcripts for any class or have any curves.

In essence, you better bust your balls from day one otherwise you will...lets just say have a career change

Brocnizer2007 said:
Have some bad news for you all. Not sure it will affect you but as of now they will not allow transcripts for any class or have any curves.

In essence, you better bust your balls from day one otherwise you will...lets just say have a career change

Hey Brocnizer,

What did you mean by "not allow transcripts or have curves".......??????

You mean they won't bell curve the marks up, even if everyone bombs an exam??????

You got it!

No curves at all and no transcripts at all. Our class president is hard at work to try and reverse this decesion

You could thank the class of 2007 for this. My class decided they would study from transcripts and only, at best, half the class shows up to lectures. So to get all the students back in the lecture hall they ( all of the faculty and deans ) will not allow transcripts and abolish curves. the reason to get rid of curves is to make us study harder to raise the board scores.

If you Study hard, this will not affect you. If you like to wait to study...you are screwed big time. This decesion will affect the low teir in the class the most since they ride the curve for every class

Hey all,

After much thought, I've decided to attend NYUCD in the fall! I'm excited to meet you all! If you're in the area and would like to meet up sometime pm me. I'm from brooklyn and it would be cool to start meeting my future classmates! :)

--Stacy

I had trouble this morning but I kept calling back and it was OK. I got some message saying that the number was non-functioning but that's not true--it works eventually.

Anyone get financial aid info from NYU yet?? I'm interested in getting an idea for what the general package is.

thanks

i dont understand what we have to register for. i called and it started giving me all these classes that i am already registered for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I am a NYU dental student. I am moving out of my apt I would like to sublet the apt for the month of August and if one interested can re-new the lease at the end of August (I am buying an apt) . It is a small 2 bedroom apt (2 bedrooms, living room, kichen, fifth floor walkup, with a nice sunrise view, lots of windows) located in Astoria, Queens. Takes like 40 minutes door to door to Dental school. It is perfect for a couple. The rend is $1225. And also this way you don't have to pay the broker's fee (which is a month rent in NYC). I am selling the furnitures too. They are only a year old. And hence this way you will get the apt furnished too if you like.
This will work out especially for the first year NYU dental students, you can try the place and if you did not like it still have time to lease another apt by the end of august before the classes start. The Dorms go for around $1500 a month. And it is only one room in a two bedroom apt.

big dogg said:
i dont understand what we have to register for. i called and it started giving me all these classes that i am already registered for.

Same here man. Does that mean we are already registered? I got a purple letter from NYU telling me how to register so now I'm all confused. :(

hossaiaa said:
Same here man. Does that mean we are already registered? I got a purple letter from NYU telling me how to register so now I'm all confused. :(
Looks like many of us are in the same boat. My guess is that if it says were are registered for some classes than we probably are. If someone would care to call and make sure let us know :)

Hey guys and gals, I just wanna thank everyone who helped me out throughout the application, interview, and waiting process. But all that is over now, cause Im coming to NYU in August.

Eager to see, and meet everyone.

Party hard until then...cause in August...its over...or starting...depending on how u look at it.

LAter guys...and Thanks.

NYU BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does anyone know where we can find a copy of the schedule (ie. when our vacations are etc)?

Damn, I'm excited to meet the class of NYU 2008...baby! I've been busy with the immunization getting poked and prodded. From all the loan paper work and the shots, I cannot wait to touch down in NY. Peace and blessings...MAZ

Did you just get accepted???

VancouverDoc2b said:
Hey guys and gals, I just wanna thank everyone who helped me out throughout the application, interview, and waiting process. But all that is over now, cause Im coming to NYU in August.

Eager to see, and meet everyone.

Party hard until then...cause in August...its over...or starting...depending on how u look at it.

LAter guys...and Thanks.

NYU BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comet: Yeah I just got accepted. I just interviewed two weeks ago.

Adzam: What shots do we need??

Hey guys and gals of course instead of just sending many PMs to people introducing myself....we should just kinda give a lil blab about ourselves so people have some info about us, even though we dont know what each other looks like. So anyways, Ill get it started:

name: Vishal
school: University of British Columbia in Vancouver Canada (major in Bio)
applied: Feb 28th
interviewed: May 20th
accepted: June 7th
family: mom, dad, 2 bros
living: wanna live off campus but dont know anybody to room with. if cant find anyone, ill live on dorms
computer: leaning towards the Dell D600, but not sure yet.
fave food: chinese
music: hip hop
movie: kill bill, and many others

thast all i got for now. If yall wanna add more headings be my guest. Other than that Im stoked to be in NYC and get this all started, meet new people, and make new friends. Congrats to all, and good luck!

Vishal

D600 is a piece of $hit

nothing but problems in our class with it. It will spend more time in repair than in use