Who's going to the G-town SMP Open House?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imrep1972

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought it would be interesting to see who from the forum is planning to be there in April...

I for one will be there. Gotta figure out where I'm gonna live...
:scared:
It is EXPENSIVE!!!

Members don't see this ad.

imrep1972 said:
Just thought it would be interesting to see who from the forum is planning to be there in April...

It is EXPENSIVE!!!

Does anyone know if the Georgetown SMP accepts people for the Spring semester? It seems as though its a pretty structured prog that only starts in the Fall, not like some traditional post-bacs, so I just wanted to double check.

Gracias.

nvshelat said:
Does anyone know if the Georgetown SMP accepts people for the Spring semester? It seems as though its a pretty structured prog that only starts in the Fall, not like some traditional post-bacs, so I just wanted to double check.

Gracias.

nope, just for fall entrance, unfortunately.

when's this open house anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
nvshelat said:

Gracias.

It is a pretty structured program w/ block scheduling that parallels, and in many cases coincides:), with the first yr. med students. No, it does not lend itself to spring entry.

jackb

I will be headed to the open house in April as well.

I sent in my app at the end of January and am waiting to hear back.

You said you bugged the adcoms.
I've talked to Dr. Myers a bit but it's been a while since I have had some contact with him.

What did you do to prove to them that this program is for you?

imrep1972 said:

It is EXPENSIVE!!!

jklasser17 said:
I will be headed to the open house in April as well.

I sent in my app at the end of January and am waiting to hear back.

You said you bugged the adcoms.
I've talked to Dr. Myers a bit but it's been a while since I have had some contact with him.

What did you do to prove to them that this program is for you?

Well, that's two so far. Look forward to seeing you out there.

The biggest thing was my MCAT, I think, as well as some post bac work I had done.

I had a 2.85 cume GPA before my post-bac, but a 3.9 in the year of work that I did. My MCAT was a 36R. With the one year of work, and the MCAT, I demonstrated that I was a "different person" than my undergrad work showed, plus I showed I could handle a med school courseload. On top of that, I had very good LOR's (one from someone on the adcom of a local med school).

From what I gather, that is basically what they are looking to determine. Can you handle the workload, and will you succeed. Just find ways to demonstrate that. You mentioned that you have spoken with Dr. Myers in the past. If you have, I would contact him again, and ask him what he thinks you could do to strengthen your application. I would think he would be frank with you, and let you know what to do.

imrep1972 said:
Well, that's two so far. Look forward to seeing you out there.

I'm going too. I made my reservations already and they're non-refundable! Well, I would blow it off to go to a medical school interview, but I'm about 95% sure that I'll being going to the openhouse.

I only submitted my application the first week of March though, so I probably won't hear for a while. But Dr. Myers said (on his yahoo group) that I should have "an excellent chance at admissions", so I've decided to go and check it out even though I don't know if I'll get in or not. See you guys there!

I am thinking of attending--I need to see if I can find an old GW buddy to crash with... Does anyone know if they offer students reduced housing?

redsoxfan said:
I am thinking of attending--I need to see if I can find an old GW buddy to crash with... Does anyone know if they offer students reduced housing?

Well, based on the research I have done, I don't think so. Maybe someone who is attending this year or has attended can correct me, but I would be surprised.

Has anyone noticed that the open house is the day before the April MCAT? I'm not taking it, but that would be a real pain in the butt for someone who is.

imrep1972 said:

It is EXPENSIVE!!!

Just wanted to let everyone know:

I was contacted by G-town yesterday, and told that the purpose of the open house is to give information to people to convince them to apply and attend the program.

If you are already planning to apply/attend, then it may not make sense for your to go to the open house - just a waste of money.

Everyone else may already know this, but I thought I would put it out there in case it wasn't clear for anyone besides me...

I'm planning on going since I work at the NIH and its a quick metro- ride and walk away. I figuire we paided $100 for application so if its not too much travel expense, it is worth it for the free meals, folders and whatever else. I'm also probably a borderline candidate- so it wouldn't hurt to show my face and maybe meet someone on adcom. :luck:

does anyone else have trouble trying to get thru to a person at GU's SMP? Everytime I try to call I get a voicemail that is not accepting voicemails... any advice?

redsoxfan said:
does anyone else have trouble trying to get thru to a person at GU's SMP? Everytime I try to call I get a voicemail that is not accepting voicemails... any advice?

What number are you calling? If you go to the SMP site, they have listed the direct numbers for different people within the program.

Also, you might want to consider emailing Dr. Myers (head of the program). There is a yahoo group that he checks daily (or close to it) and he is very good about responding quickly.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/physios

I am attending, or at least I thnk I am attending. I registered early this week but have not received the email confirming my spot. How long did it take for the confirm to get sent?

Anyone interested in splitting the costs of the room for Thursday night? I looked at the reccomended hotels and they were all pretty expensive.
I plan on getting to DC around 5-7 pm on thursday, depending on traffic. I am driving up from Raleigh, NC.

Marcia

marciah said:
I am attending, or at least I thnk I am attending. I registered early this week but have not received the email confirming my spot. How long did it take for the confirm to get sent?

Anyone interested in splitting the costs of the room for Thursday night? I looked at the reccomended hotels and they were all pretty expensive.
I plan on getting to DC around 5-7 pm on thursday, depending on traffic. I am driving up from Raleigh, NC.

Marcia

OK, so I am definetly going. Anyone out there know of a good place to stay or want to share a hotel room for one night?
Thanks!

Got a call back from Aurieller (sp?) today cuz i got in to GT SMP but there are no spaces left in the open house for SMP prospective students... she told me its not for SMPers anyway... only for people who dont know if they want to go ...

regardless, she told me NOT to go, so i wont!

shes a nice lady, if you can reach her ... she's easygoing and helpful (if she is able to find your files -- she was never able to find mine, so we just chatted)

-Jonathan

jkherson said:
Got a call back from Aurieller (sp?) today cuz i got in to GT SMP but there are no spaces left in the open house for SMP prospective students... she told me its not for SMPers anyway... only for people who dont know if they want to go ...

regardless, she told me NOT to go, so i wont!

shes a nice lady, if you can reach her ... she's easygoing and helpful (if she is able to find your files -- she was never able to find mine, so we just chatted)

-Jonathan

Jonathon,
She really never found all of your file and you still got in? That is comforting in an odd sort of way. My stuff was sent in over a month ago and she told me she couldn't find my transcripts! Maybe they are there and being processed. I will be bringing an extra set with me to the open house just in case! Congrats on your acceptance!
Marcia

ctothed said:
I'm planning on going since I work at the NIH and its a quick metro- ride and walk away. I figuire we paided $100 for application so if its not too much travel expense, it is worth it for the free meals, folders and whatever else. I'm also probably a borderline candidate- so it wouldn't hurt to show my face and maybe meet someone on adcom. :luck:

I'm in the same position as you. Do you want to meet at the NIH and take the metro there together?

marciah said:
Jonathon,
She really never found all of your file and you still got in? That is comforting in an odd sort of way. My stuff was sent in over a month ago and she told me she couldn't find my transcripts! Maybe they are there and being processed. I will be bringing an extra set with me to the open house just in case! Congrats on your acceptance!
Marcia

yeah, what i meant to say is that the papers were not accessable at the time of the call ... it would have been too much trouble .. and all that ..

my stuff was all sent out electronically through a letter's and transcript service, and I got a receipt from G-town about 3 weeks after i sent it in .. probably 4 weeks, so you're due for the email any day now that your app is completed and awaiting review!

good luck, i'm rooting for you! :love:

-Jonathan