Who's taking a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gap year?

• yes

Votes: 69 71.9%
  • no

Votes: 27 28.1%

• Total voters

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I was wonder who here applied there senior year and took a gap year and if you thought it was nice to have 4 whole years to apply.

Members don't see this ad.

That is probably what I am going to do I am done with my community college and haven't even taken pre med requirement yet, just generals. They are coming up this next semester at my university.

I graduated last year so I'll be taking two years off. It's been nice to have time to improve my app (and take a break from studying).

Members don't see this ad :)
I am doing it. Graduating now, applying in june, MCAT in june. I yearn for a year off with no class work in stuff I don't really care about... I will be improving my spanish, working on a project I love in a lab, and getting into the best shape of my life.

I thought about deferring my acceptance a year, but it just isn't financially smart for me. Jobs are really hard to come by these days--one of my friends graduated last may, and he's delivering pizzas because despite applying to scores of jobs, he can't find one. Also, the amount of money I would earn in a gap year does not nearly compare to the year of work I'd be losing as a physician (assuming I could find a job). I have worked throughout my entire undergrad, and I am looking forward to med school because I won't have to work in jobs I don't care about anymore.

So, no gap year for me. I am 100% okay with that.

If you can find a nice job or something fun to do, go for it. I find in general very few people actually regret taking a gap year. For me doing so was largely necessitated by my class scheduling, but I'm having a good time.

It's nice to be able to get senioritis if you do get in early, though..

I was actually thinking about doing a gap year for the sake of giving myself some time before med school and having a better app.

I did it...Currently am whatever you want to say. It's awesome! It's a great break from everything and I get to go have fun and hang out with my fiancstres/get married. I'm ready to start again, but the year off was well worth it before I spend the next ten years being busy! It also has taught me a lot about responsibility and really supporting myself! Personally I recommend it :)

YES! I have always wanted to take some time off before going into medical school and I have decided on the Peace Corps..so I'll actually end up taking 2 years off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I am. I'm finishing senior year this Spring and sending in my app probably the day I get grades. I was going to apply last year but decided to take an extra year to improve my grades and ECs. It will also be helpful to have a job while paying for all the application/interview costs.

Watch the expiration date on that MCAT.

Nope. I kinda wish I was so that I have a year off from studying but I didn't for a couple of reasons:

1. There is no reason for me to take it. My parents are currently supporting me and once I graduate, that support will end. With this market, getting a job is not likely so I would have no income and live at home far away from all the volunteering I got super involved in while at school. Basically, I would not make any money, having nothing to do, and would actually waste a year that I could be making a physician's salary. Also, my parents wouldn't stand for it. My mom was pushing me to apply for the Carib until I got accepted in November. They REALLY wanted me to start this year. This wasn't my biggest consideration but if I have to live at home with nagging parents and no job... it would suck lol

2. If I stop studying, I'll lose motivation. Senioritis is hard enough, let alone taking a year long break!

^ Aren't you glad this is one of our future physicians?

;p

I actually didn't start most of my pre-reqs/decide on medical school until a year or so after I got my bachelor's, it'll be 5 years between when I graduated and when I'd matriculate.

A good 5 gap years, though. Got married, had a baby, and got a crapton of clinical experience.

Currently in gap year and loving it..watching Terminator 2 at 4:20am cause i can

I just finished applying this year, but throughout the whole process and even now, I wish that I took the gap year. Things probably would have been less stressful and I would have had a lot more time to straighten things out in my head.

The majority of people of whom I interviewed with were gap year takers. If it is financially wise to do the gap year for you, I'd certainly consider it.

My gap year was so good I took 13 more. ;p

My gap year has been amazing, and I think it will only get more awesome when I start my traveling around the world, one way ticket here I come!!!!!!!:D

No gap year here. Senior year is easy enough so it IS a break for most people.

Besides...I don't want to lose 1 yr of attending salary down the road :D

Also- how do you guys spending tons of money on your year off (trips etc) when you are about to be 200k in debt?

Maybe I'm too old fashion, but I'd feel like crap knowing I could have put that money towards tuition

No gap year here. Senior year is easy enough so it IS a break for most people.

Besides...I don't want to lose 1 yr of attending salary down the road :D

Ok...so maybe it wouldn't be needed if you had that easy of a senior year...but I will gladly take a year less of that attending salary to have the fun I am having this year! You only get to be this young for a short while, and if I had to look back realize that I never really got a chance to enjoy any of the time in my twenties I would be mad at myself!

I am taking a year off. Applying this summer after graduation. As for what I plan to do, that is still up in the air right now. :scared:

I'm in the middle of taking two years off, I had no choice really since I only became premed when I was a junior in college. I've been working and I'm getting ready to apply to medical school in June. It certainly gives you a lot of perspective on life. I think I'm a much more mature person for going through the post-college adjustment process, which was a PITA. And I've been working a boring, unpleasant full-time job which makes me miss the days of college where I was too busy to think. I think taking a year off (and no more than a year) is preferable if you can find a decent job, since many who go straight into medical school will lack a lot of perspective on things.

Also- how do you guys spending tons of money on your year off (trips etc) when you are about to be 200k in debt?

Maybe I'm too old fashion, but I'd feel like crap knowing I could have put that money towards tuition

Well I have been super frugal so far trying to save up money, but ultimately the money you make in your year off is piddly when compared both with your future debt as well as your future salary, which helps make it less important to put away a lot of money. It never hurts to have a rainy day slush fund though.

This is kinda true. Unfortunately for me, I don't have an easy senior year (all my upper div genetics major courses :scared: ) but I am taking it relatively easy. The upside is that I don't have to worry about my upper divs lowering my GPA. It hasn't happened yet but I have a final tomorrow and I'm on SDN now...I'm assuming it's not too far in the future :p

i am in the midst of taking 2 years off between undergrad and med school (hopefully!).

i really don't like extensive travelling- rather i've used this past year to concentrate on other activities that i've always been interested in but never been able to devote as much time as i would like due to school. That and studying for the mcat of course.

Now i'm looking for a parttime job- anything i can get hopefully clinically related.

and if you guys have the travel bug and are budget-conscious- you might look into couchsurfing. i think the deal is you are offered a sleeping area in some stranger's house for free, and in return you have to do the same for other travellers in your area. After being forced to watch hostel a few days ago, though, i'm only staying in 4 star hotels from now on.

Taking a gap year has been the best decision that I've made especially if you find a nice job and location to enjoy it in. I'm currently working at the NIH in DC, and I'm just having a blast out here. I've met tons of new people, gone out a lot and started new activities while doing research that is pretty cool and relatively laid back. I've definitely also matured as a person and improved my app and overall interviewing abilities just by gaining all these new experiences.

Plus, you get to party it up one last year (or 2-10) before you start med school. I've absolutely failed in the saving money department but that's what loans are for right? :laugh: