Who's your Support System?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didymus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the vast majority of us would agree that this pre-med journey is challenging to us in so many different ways (intellectually, emotionally, relationally, spiritually, and so on and so forth); that said, who out there comprises your system of support in the midst of all the challenges?

For me, my wife has been my rock. Many times, she has been the only thing standing between me and quitting--encouraging and affirming me to keep going regardless of how defeated I often feel (my young son has been amazing as well). It's these two, in so many ways, that remind me that this journey is much bigger than myself.

That's my support system. I'd love to hear about yours!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the vast majority of us would agree that this pre-med journey is challenging to us in so many different ways (intellectually, emotionally, relationally, spiritually, and so on and so forth); that said, who out there comprises your system of support in the midst of all the challenges?

For me, my wife has been my rock. Many times, she has been the only thing standing between me and quitting--encouraging and affirming me to keep going regardless of how defeated I often feel (my young son has been amazing as well). It's these two, in so many ways, that remind me that this journey is much bigger than myself.

Religion is mine. Prayers - especially when things have gotten rough during this application process- were the one thing that really eased me in times of anxiety. It is my strong belief that all things happen for a reason, and the end of the day, God will put me where I belong. I am in His hands! :)

Religion is mine. Prayers - especially when things have gotten rough during this application process- were the one thing that really eased me in times of anxiety. It is my strong belief that all things happen for a reason, and the end of the day, God will put me where I belong. I am in His hands! :)

Great answer! I, too, find great solace in my faith. Thanks for sharing that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wish I had a support system, no wife, no gf, no friends and my family doesn't give a crap about me, they actually try to discourage me more than anything.

My middle school teachers always told me I would grow up to be smart and successful.

Joke's on them... I turned out stupid.

Wish I had a support system, no wife, no gf, no friends and my family doesn't give a crap about me, they actually try to discourage me more than anything.

Forgot that bro. You live for yourself. If your vocation is medicine then who are your parents, let alone anyone else, to say otherwise.

SDN.

Reactions: 1 users
Forgot that bro. You live for yourself. If your vocation is medicine then who are your parents, let alone anyone else, to say otherwise.

+1

On a serious note my mother told me to withdraw my application since I would never make it to any medical school.

I have interviews every weekend of this month and a few more in January.

Can't let people stop you.

Reactions: 2 users
+1

On a serious note my mother told me to withdraw my application since I would never make it to any medical school.

Wow I'm sorry. She sounds like a peach

+1

My parents literally laughed at me when I told them I wanted to be a doctor.

Getting that acceptance is going to be so sweeeeet.

I think it's easy to list all the haters (lord knows we all have them), but I still want to hear about those who believe in and root for you, those who listen attentively when you vent, etc.

Who is your support coming from to keep you going?

Members don't see this ad :)
My classmates (as we suffer together), and my blog.

My family and friends outside the med school bubble have been very supportive but I tend to shield my anxieties from them.

My classmates (as we suffer together), and my blog.

My family and friends outside the med school bubble have been very supportive but I tend to shield my anxieties from them.

Are people willing to open up like that at medical school?

I personally never "vent" but at times it's nice to be able to voice concerns.

Are people willing to open up like that at medical school?

I personally never "vent" but at times it's nice to be able to voice concerns.

I feel like we share in misery fairly freely here. Obviously the deeper stuff is reserved for people within my usual circle, but as far as academics go, I haven't been afraid to share my fears and concerns with people. I don't get much of the gunner vibe here.

I am really lucky to have the support of my boyfriend. We both really push each other. I convinced him to start his undergrad so he can pursue a career in art, and he's supported me every step of the way during this process, from when I first decided to pursue medicine, to the application and secondaries, to the interview, and through the awful time I was convinced I wasn't going to get in! At one point I told him I was gonna pursue other opportunities (like RN or BSN), and he refused to let me even consider it because he knew I wouldn't be happy any other way :) I'm a pretty lucky guy

I also have a twin brother whose going through a similarly stressful process, but he's applying pharmacy. In fact, both of us are going to be classmates at Midwestern next year, he just got accept to their pharmacy school :joyful:

i couldn't do any of it without my wife. my kids are also very awesome and understanding. my dad is very supportive while he lives a little ways away. my mom is supportive in her own way. but it is mainly my wife. she is insanely supportive. if i believed in soul mates, she would be the one. but i don't.

i couldn't do any of it without my wife. my kids are also very awesome and understanding. my dad is very supportive while he lives a little ways away. my mom is supportive in her own way. but it is mainly my wife. she is insanely supportive. if i believed in soul mates, she would be the one. but i don't.

As the saying goes: "Behind every great man is a great woman."

+1

I'm lucky to have a solid support system. My wife, kids, parents, in-laws, my faith...

That said, when you get to med school there will be a lot of people to make friends with who know exactly what you're going through, in other words, your classmates. It actually makes med school kind of fun.

My husband and family are my support

My husband is mine. He is fantastic.

I have similar stories of my parents and other family telling me I can't be a doctor or it's a silly dream. My husband has done everything to banish those voices and next fall I will be going to school! Never let anyone tell you you can't.

Anywho, he is my support system. And his parents also in their way are supportive by helping us find a new house and helping with childcare when we move. :)

My husband is mine. He is fantastic.

I have similar stories of my parents and other family telling me I can't be a doctor or it's a silly dream. My husband has done everything to banish those voices and next fall I will be going to school! Never let anyone tell you you can't.

Anywho, he is my support system. And his parents also in their way are supportive by helping us find a new house and helping with childcare when we move. :)

Congratulations on achieving your dream! I'm encouraged to hear how well your husband supported you--along with your in-laws.

My family and others have been a bit odd in their support. I have a disorder on the autism spectrum and a learning disability...at first everyone was very supportive but recently they have hinted in a way that says "it is not happening", and I am not particularly close to any classmates so I have kind of been my own support system this semester and my first to boot. Totally agree that you cannot let others dictate your abilities and that no worthwhile endeavor is without struggle. I do see my pets as support in a way, sometimes I think they teach me more than textbooks :cool: .

Lucky you, my wife divorced me for going to medical school. For me I keep a picture of my name with "Doctor" in front of it. That keeps me motivated.

My boyfriend and my Tae Kwon Do team are really my support systems. I'm pretty sure my boyfriend believes in me way more than I believe in myself, and has stuck by me even when I'm completely at my worst. The TKD team, just to illustrate, literally tackled me as a group when I told them I got into medical school because they were so excited for me. I know not having them around is gonna be killer.

My mother, hands down. She raised both me and my brother as a single parent, and her support still stands unwavering. No wonder I am single, I have yet to meet someone as strong and understanding as her.

Lucky you, my wife divorced me for going to medical school. For me I keep a picture of my name with "Doctor" in front of it. That keeps me motivated.

Wow, screw that noise.

Honestly I'd have to say myself. While my parents support me 100%, they are still hesitant because of all of the years of schooling left and debt I'm accumulating. I pretty much started this journey with nothing left to lose. I was at rock bottom (extremely low gpa, bad study habits, ect) and I decided that now was the time to do what I was born to do. Every time I think of quitting, I always remember that little girl sitting in the living room at age nine looking through the brown medical book my parents kept while everyone else was watching tv. It keeps me going...

Try to have a good living environment while in medical school, go to a place where you think you will be comfortable. Some people go to schools in undesirable or stressful locations because of "prestige". If you are in environment that you do not like or makes you uncomfortable its going to affect you one way or the other.

I had no support system except from my former therapist who encouraged me to begin this journey I never thought possible. I became a full blown hard working atheists, and still I suffered. Finally I just prayed one day, forgot about religion and accepted God back into my life. He is my support system.

I've been on my journey for pharmacy school for more than 6 years (including doing all pre-reqs and joining army as pharmacy tech..) and now I'm starting another tough journey.
My wife agreed and respected my decision.. she's my big support.

+1

I like how mothers or any parents tell their kids they won't make it to med school when they probably have zero clue what criteria are measured to even apply. Lol they probably don't even google search it.

My support system is my girlfriend, who was with me from day 1 when I decided to go back and try to apply DO, as well as my family. They are and have always been supportive of my goals.

There are situations where family will not be a good support system. My wife left me because I wanted to become a doctor. And we were fairly young when she left. Being single in school can actually be a good thing as there are fewer distractions.

That being said, its a good idea to choose a location where you will be happy. I knew someone who went to a very prestigious MD school but was miserable because it was in a location she did not like. She wound up visiting home every month.

My boyfriend has been amazing. He always helps me pick myself up when I fall and has been a wonderful and comforting shoulder to cry on. I am so lucky to have him.

I also have friends who are encouraging and supportive, but I don't like to complain or cry in front of them.

Otoh, my family is just to be endured. They shame me when I fail and dismiss my accomplishments because one of the neighbor's kids went to Harvard, got a 39 on the MCAT, has a rich boyfriend, yada yada... :(

Sometimes you just create your support system as you go. Premed classmates were fantastic. Now I'm at a medical school where my classmates are unbelievably awesome. Just be open and you'll find support from people you might not have imagined.

Sometimes the people you think shouldbe your greatest supporters let you down. Keep going. You can do this.

I owe everything to my parents. They have worked so hard to help me throughout this journey. I honestly could not have done anything if it wasn't for them. They offer me an ear to listen to my whining and complaints and help motivate me when times are tough! I truly hope one day I will be able to make them proud and repay them for all the sacrifices they had made.

Who is your support coming from to keep you going?
hu11g.jpg
At whom are you directing the question? Your question--if asked in general--is what the whole thread is about.

Wow, I thought I had it rough just because I'm not well off financially, so it's been a struggle through college, but my family hasn't ever been anything but supportive (mentally, not financially) and I can't imagine someone divorcing their spouse because they wanted to become a doctor! I never realized how good I have it because of how supportive everyone has been...

Wow, I thought I had it rough just because I'm not well off financially, so it's been a struggle through college, but my family hasn't ever been anything but supportive (mentally, not financially) and I can't imagine someone divorcing their spouse because they wanted to become a doctor! I never realized how good I have it because of how supportive everyone has been...

I am actually happy she left. Being single is a great thing.

I am actually happy she left. Being single is a great thing.

Being single can be a great thing, just as being married can be. Everybody needs somebody, and that's what this thread is supposed to be about. Who are those somebodies in our lives that are helping us along, and keeping us from the pit of despair. Being a premed student (and a medical student/resident/attending) can be quite isolating/alienating. I'm so happy to have who I do to help keep me going. For me--and I only speak for myself--I would not be able to keep chugging along if not for them.

Being single can be a great thing, just as being married can be. Everybody needs somebody, and that's what this thread is supposed to be about. Who are those somebodies in our lives that are helping us along, and keeping us from the pit of despair. Being a premed student (and a medical student/resident/attending) can be quite isolating/alienating. I'm so happy to have who I do to help keep me going. For me--and I only speak for myself--I would not be able to keep chugging along if not for them.

I find people in medical school, students and faculty, are not good support. Fellow students often see each other as competition. I saw a lot of backstabbing among students, faculty are just there to eye you. Its definitely good to have some support.

If you pick an environment where you will be comfortable you should be fine. Some people I know go to places that are not so nice. I have a friend at Yale, and he is miserable, despite the prestige of getting a medical degree from one of the most elite schools in the US. His parents live nearby so he has a decent support system to get him through. Yale is a great school in a not so nice town of New Haven.

Mom once said to me " you wanna be a doctor? Why don't you just drive trucks like every other man in the family."

I find people in medical school, students and faculty, are not good support. Fellow students often see each other as competition. I saw a lot of backstabbing among students, faculty are just there to eye you. Its definitely good to have some support.

If you pick an environment where you will be comfortable you should be fine. Some people I know go to places that are not so nice. I have a friend at Yale, and he is miserable, despite the prestige of getting a medical degree from one of the most elite schools in the US. His parents live nearby so he has a decent support system to get him through. Yale is a great school in a not so nice town of New Haven.

I hear this a lot from people at some other [left unnamed] schools. Makes me feel luckier to be here. I mean, it's not like we're all best buds but I get a strong sense of camaraderie here.

My boyfriend has been amazing. He always helps me pick myself up when I fall and has been a wonderful and comforting shoulder to cry on. I am so lucky to have him.

I also have friends who are encouraging and supportive, but I don't like to complain or cry in front of them.

Otoh, my family is just to be endured. They shame me when I fail and dismiss my accomplishments because one of the neighbor's kids went to Harvard, got a 39 on the MCAT, has a rich boyfriend, yada yada... :(
Wow I'd want to move away from home if my family was one of those comparing ones.

Wow I'd want to move away from home if my family was one of those comparing ones.
Thankfully I've been out of the nest for 4 yrs now. I visit 2-3 times a year. I love them - they have good qualities too! - but distance can be a good thing sometimes.

I hear this a lot from people at some other [left unnamed] schools. Makes me feel luckier to be here. I mean, it's not like we're all best buds but I get a strong sense of camaraderie here.

I can also say that my classmates have been great. There's an awesome sense of camaraderie. Kind of a "we're all going through this together" kind of thing. People will create their own study guides as part of their own studying then post them the class facebook page for everyone to use. That kind of thing.