Whose not gettin' the love from their state's school(s)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
gdbaby said:
Does anyone know if Colorado has shut down? Was there a fire? Was there one of those cool French intellectual revolutions where all the students leave the school and follow rock-star philosophers like Satre and Foucault instead of their everyday faculty? Perhaps they haven't paid their phone bill which is why they haven't called.

I just don't understand.

:laugh: I wonder the same thing about CA sometimes.

Members don't see this ad.

I think all the Colorado adcom members and their secretaries have broken fingers. Thus, no phone calls. must be. Must be. I'll be expecting that interview invite as soon as their fingers heal. :)

ShyRem said:
I think all the Colorado adcom members and their secretaries have broken fingers. Thus, no phone calls. must be. Must be. I'll be expecting that interview invite as soon as their fingers heal. :)
Shy, have you been cooking all day in prep for Thursday? We leave for Oregon tomorrow. Alas, another school I can taunt.

Members don't see this ad :)
gd, been cleaning all day today. And brought the kids to the dentist. And their martial arts lessons. yesterday my daughter had to get together with one of her martial arts teachers to put together a routine for a demo. We've been busy here.

But I have a 22-lb turkey thawing in the fridge - I've made 4 kids of cookies, 2 kinds of coffee cake, I'm planning to bake three kids of pies, another five types of cookies, two different herb breads, and all the usual Thanksgiving Day fare (including a fabulous sage sausage stuffing). I'm going to have to get up about 5 am on Thursday to start cooking. We invited a friend over for the day (his wife of 20 years left him two months ago and I figured he probably wouldn't want to cook for himself). I'm planning on packing leftovers for him to take home. :) :) Any other holiday orphans around my neck of the woods that need a good holiday meal?

Newyorker here. Buffalo rejected me with the quickness. one week after my application was complete. haven't heard from any of the other SUNYS.
Does albany care if you're a NY resident? i'm on hold there.

ShyRem said:
Any other holiday orphans around my neck of the woods that need a good holiday meal?
Ooo I wish! We are leaving in a few hours for Portland, OR. My husband's mom loves there. It will be nice to get away from the med school rat race for a while! From the sounds of other threads, I will probably be welcomed by a rejection letter from GW, maybe G'town too.

Have a great Thanksgiving, Shy and everybody!!

ShyRem said:
...I've made 4 kids of cookies...2 kinds of coffee cake, I'm planning to bake three kids of pies, another five types of cookies, two different herb breads, and all the usual Thanksgiving Day fare (including a fabulous sage sausage stuffing). Any other holiday orphans around my neck of the woods that need a good holiday meal?

Mmmmm....cookie kids.

Shy, your posts leave me salivating and with hunger pangs.

Some state school insight for Texas, might also hold true in other states but I dont know. Texas is a very large state, and they have to make sure to accept applicants from all of the geographic regions of the state, in the anticipation those applicants will go back to their home towns and practice. All of the Texas schools could fill all of their slots with applicants from Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin and have incredible stats, but this does not serve the best interest for the state. The schools are mandated by the legislature to take applicants from all geographis regions, so if you grew up in rural east or west texas you dont have to be as competitive of an applicant as someone from houston or dallas. From what I have seen, myself included, people from small towns have a much easier time getting interviews and acceptances in Texas than those from the big cities. If your from an urban area in Texas you have to have above average stats or your chances are pretty slim.

This is just a little info I picked up when I worked on a daily basis with most of the presidents and governmental relations folks for the medical schools in Texas at the state capitol.

IDforMe said:
Timmy, I say we start a sub-club on SDN. My application is "in process" there and has been for months! And here I thought they would be one of the first ones to get back to me.
From your posts, it looks like you, the brown note, possibly SigPi and I are applying to a lot of the same schools (UofI, SIU, Rosalind Franklin, etc.) I say we have a supportive/pity party until we get some GOOD NEWS. :luck: :( :luck:

tell me about it! i was rejected from NW, but i bet you if i were to check my "status" it would not look any different than it did on day 1!

i guess all this waiting just prepares us for med school, because it never really goes away when you get in, it just changes form.

jane9two9 said:
Newyorker here. Buffalo rejected me with the quickness. one week after my application was complete. haven't heard from any of the other SUNYS.
Does albany care if you're a NY resident? i'm on hold there.

No, since Albany's not a state-affiliated school, it does not give preference to NY residents :(

I'm surprised you're not "on hold" at suny upstate like all the rest of us. Maybe that's a good sign though, since they send out their hold notices really fast. What are your stats by the way? Good luck!

Back to the initial question regarding love and state school...ME

Today my husband and I made a bet as to when U of Colorado was going to call. He: 12/9 Me: 2/12 Just like "The Price is Right" the person who comes closest without going over wins. If I NEVER receive a call, I "win"--of course.

At stake: One steak dinner. A steak dinner wouldn't have been my first choice, but I think my husband thought of something quick to bet on so I couldn't back out and wallow in self-pity.

You try this too with someone who has been invited to your pity party!

My husband won't play... he thinks CU is using my application for their daily dose of humor (or for bathroom wallpaper). At this point, he said he'd buy me dinner if CU calls AT ALL.

BTW: I haven't forgotten your cookies, gd... I've been trying new recipes for the best ones to send. The jam bites have been a BIG hit. :) They're definitely goin' in the box.

Members don't see this ad :)
Colorado has officially declared this application cycle as "Lay a big turd on Gdbaby." While I am upset that they have chosen my application to ignore, use as a car mat, draw stick figures on, etc, I am happy that with my sacrifice others can go forward in the process. You should all be hearing something soon. Now, I must go shower to remove the turd smell from my person.

Add me to the list.

Rejected from my state school after interview. 30 MCAT (only prereqs taken at time of test were physics and general chemistry 10 years ago), 3.8 GPA in mech. engineering with master's, lots of real world work experience, plenty of community service and volunteering while in school (fundraising, singing at nursing homes, tutoring, volunteer time at daycare, church youth chaperone, etc.), member of half a dozen organizations while in school (president of most at one time), demanding leadership positions, research as grad. research assisstant, musician my whole life and played in virtually every music group on campus and in the community. Still teach trumpet lessons. Been shadowing a cardiologist since this summer when I could no longer resist the desire to go into medicine. Currently taking organic I, genetics, comparative anatomy, zoology... easy A's in all. Will finish all prereqs in the spring.

I just don't know what else I could have done. Maybe it is because I'm nearly 30? I know some have said it is a coin flip, but I really didn't believe that until it happened to me. :confused:

Their loss I suppose... I know I'll be one of the better med students wherever I go, rock the boards, and be a terriffic doctor. Hopefully the more distant schools aren't repeat stories! :scared: :laugh:

texas schools are not showing me as much love........

jon0013 said:
you have 3 interviews out of 6 six schools! what are you smoking? (and give it here...)

ShyRem said:
My husband won't play... he thinks CU is using my application for their daily dose of humor (or for bathroom wallpaper). At this point, he said he'd buy me dinner if CU calls AT ALL.

BTW: I haven't forgotten your cookies, gd... I've been trying new recipes for the best ones to send. The jam bites have been a BIG hit. :) They're definitely goin' in the box.

To divert- are there any general rules of thumb for baking at altitude? Or does it change by recipe.

desiredusername said:
what are you smoking? (and give it here...)

tell me about it! i would give anything to be "ignored" in much the same way, am i right?

look here, i agree! - that guy has an insane amount of interviews OVERALL and 3 from schools in his state; i believe he's getting PLENTY of love! me? you wanna hear my love? six schools, 5 in my state 1 in south carolina :rolleyes: ...how many interviews? 1! :eek: how many rejections? 1! :mad:

hmmm....that leaves a whopping 4 schools left, who are free to continue toy with my sanity for a few more months. i am not trying to be nasty; i am merely saying that people should really APPRECIATE what they have! that guy must be doing something right, or the med school app god is smiling on him, or he was an adcom member in a previous life...or, he is in fact smoking something REALLY good!

whatever it is, as usual, gdbaby is the wise one...."it only takes one to seal the deal"

YOU GO, GIRL! when i am in CO visiting my bro-in-law i will have to drop off a huge fruit basket for you in honor of my appreciation for your levity and intelligence! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

as my dad always used to say, "ten thumbs-up"...i always found that kind of silly as you only have 2 thumbs...my favorite thing he says is something is as rare as "pigeon milk" :p

jon0013 said:

I mean this with no offense but you have received interviews from 50% of your state schools and unless your definition of love involves a midget with a saddle and a car battery, I fail to see how they are not showing you love.

RayhanS1282 said:
unless your definition of love involves a midget with a saddle and a car battery....
Is that YOUR definition of love? You are one kinky mofo. You might want to keep that on the DL during your interview(s) at Drexel, et al, champ.

I got accepted into my state osteopathic school, but seeing as this thread is in the allopathic forum, Im definitley gonna have to say that I am geeting no love from them. Waitlisted at U of M and Wayne State, and havent heard back from MSU CHM. I have also been getting a rather hardy shaft from out of state schools. I was given two interviews (case western and drexel) and was rejected from Drexel and waitlisted at case. I realize there is still plenty of oppurtunity left, but still, it is disheartening. Right now, Im really glad I applied osteopathic, because if it werent for that acceptance, I would be seriously stressed out by now!

So, you can all see my stats at the click of a button. I need some brutally honesty and you SDNers have never let a kid down when it comes to that. Am I just not competitive for Colorado? I understand it's a 50/50 shot for instate folks, but but I guess I always thought that I must have been better than 1/2 of the applicants. False consciousness, I suppose.

unfrozencaveman said:
To divert- are there any general rules of thumb for baking at altitude? Or does it change by recipe.
depends on the altitude mainly - adjustments at 2500 or 3000 feet are different than those at 7000 feet. Also depends on the humidity. Cookies you don't change much - just add a TB or so of water. For a couple of recipes I add a whole egg if it says 1 egg yolk. Bread is a bit trickier on this side of the divide due to the low humidity - I find I need more liquid/oil, especially if I'm using winter wheat. Cakes can vary substantially. Usually I throw in an extra egg and decrease the leavening agents just a smidge... but you gotta play with the recipes. Sometimes you also need a little more flour. I've been known to make one cake recipe 6 times to get the adjustments just right. Also you may need to decrease the temperature of baking by as much as 25F.

So I guess the bottom line is you develop a feel for your climate, and some recipes need lots of change while others need little. Of course, I bake from scratch - I have never made a box cake, but I understand they have high altitude directions on the box. Good luck and let me know if you need help! :)

gdbaby said:
So, you can all see my stats at the click of a button. I need some brutally honesty and you SDNers have never let a kid down when it comes to that. Am I just not competitive for Colorado? I understand it's a 50/50 shot for instate folks, but but I guess I always thought that I must have been better than 1/2 of the applicants. False consciousness, I suppose.
I think you're competitive for CU - but their avg. GPAs are through the roof and your test scores are a little low. It might be that your profile - highly educated non. trad with lower than (their) average scores - just doesn't appeal to the school because they skew towards a younger demographic or something. According to MSAR they are one of the few schools that has more men than women, too. That's probably coincidental, but hey, it's there. Also, you aren't a native, I don't know how long you've been in CO, but at UNM they really give a hard time to people who have only been in NM for a few years. Doesn't seem fair to me, but what the hell do I know. Maybe CU is the same way. Give it time, they're rolling but you have 4 months or so. Patience, grasshopper.

Oooh oooh, now it's my turn, I'm #4572, what are my chances? Be gentle.

gd, I've been in Colorado for 20 years now. I think that definitely qualifies as long enough to be darn near native. I married a native Coloradoan (and yes, that's in my app). But I know my MCAT is a little lower than the reported CU average (I have a 29). If you toss out my 20 year old grades, my GPA is pretty decent. And I've got experience out the wazoo.

Personally I think I don't have a snowball's chance due to my advanced age and impending senility. I know four people that CU interviewed before December last year with MCATs FAR lower than mine, they had no experience, but they were the "usual age". (They got waitlisted and didn't make the cut - but at least they got an interview.)

Since we are all baring our souls here.....

desiredusername said:

be gentle? looks fine! you have my booty kicked nicely in some areas :)

desiredusername said:
Desired, damn. I would sell my son for those MCAT scores! Okay, maybe not, but those are some nice numbers and your EC's are incredible. You're an August MCATer with secondaries in a little late. So you may be late in getting some interviews, but I am sure they will be sending you some love soon.

I mean, damn, those are some good stats.

I have heard Colorado is a numbers *****-y type of place, in which case...Iowa here I come--thanks for seeing the whole person!

I have heard nothing from UMaryland. And I WORK there!!

Hmm, perhaps it's time for me to start greasing some palms.

the negative 1 said:
I have heard nothing from UMaryland. And I WORK there!!

Hmm, perhaps it's time for me to start greasing some palms.
Now that's damn harsh. Maryland, why you be a hater?

I sat in my car and watched as the Colorado Adcom's walked into work today. They all come at the same time and from the looks of their attire, they called each other this morning and decided on periwinkle. They walk in a single file line too, it's strange.

ShyRem said:
So I guess the bottom line is you develop a feel for your climate, and some recipes need lots of change while others need little. Of course, I bake from scratch - I have never made a box cake, but I understand they have high altitude directions on the box. Good luck and let me know if you need help! :)

Thanks and sorry to get way off track here. I live in Snowmass at literally 10,000 feet. Cooking for thanksgiving for the first time out here was a feat. I see a lot of test cakes in my future, which I am looking forward to...

unfrozencaveman said:
Thanks and sorry to get way off track here. I live in Snowmass at literally 10,000 feet. Cooking for thanksgiving for the first time out here was a feat. I see a lot of test cakes in my future, which I am looking forward to...
Wait a minute. You live in Snowmass and haven't invited Shy or myself for a visit? It is going to take a lot of cakes to make up for that faux pas.

unfrozencaveman said:
Try decreasing leavening agents by 1/4 tsp for each 1 tsp, and also add an extra egg for cakes. You will probably see a need for more liquid in your recipes due to low humidity - for cookies add 1-2 TB water per recipe. Stay away from glass/pyrex pans. Decrease your temp by 15-25F. Be careful about overbeating your eggs. You may also want to decrease the sugar a little bit in the recipes. (I live in Grand Junction, btw, so am well familiar with Colorado dryness problems.) You'll have to experiment a bit with breads, but I'm finding that mashed potato based breads work VERY well.

I had a hard time with the baking changes until I took chem and physics - then I realized why I had to adjust stuff, and it became much more intuitive.

I work at a school I applied to and I hear nothing as well

beefballs said:
I work at a school I applied to and I hear nothing as well
That's just cold. It's just not right.

I should say, my parents live in Snowmass, and I am freeloading for my last year of freedom. Come on over.
I should note though, that I am the last person you want to be seen with (well, maybe aside from the obvious Aspenites) as I am the jackass with the Florida plates driving four miles an hour everywhere (I actually have some good driving skills, probably better than most, but I feel the FL plates really undermine my credibility). Anyway, in one way or another Colorado is going to kill me. I went sledding the other day, which was fine at first, and then I was thinking "ok, this is steep", and then "ok, I'm going to die". Picked up a trail map the next day to realize I had taken myself down a black. So, in summary, I'm not from around here. Come over at your own risk....

unfrozencaveman said:
Anyway, in one way or another Colorado is going to kill me. I went sledding the other day, which was fine at first, and then I was thinking "ok, this is steep", and then "ok, I'm going to die". Picked up a trail map the next day to realize I had taken myself down a black. So, in summary, I'm not from around here. Come over at your own risk....
HA! My first and only time snowboarding I broke my arm. I am more of a triathlon girl myself so we can tool around like old people together!

But back to the point of this thread. Still no frickin word from Colorado.

unfrozen, I just wanted to tell you that I laughed out loud at the mental image. Now I think of Calvin & Hobbes - so tell me, did your sled catch fire? :)

and gd, still no frickin' word here either. summabeeeches.

exlawgrrl said:
that's so lame. i think i officially hate ohsu now. :thumbdown: if that's their attitude, then oregon shouldn't give them any money -- let them be private if they want.

Oregon doesn't give much money to OHSU and in 2005 cut it by 10% I believe. I don't really blame them, even if it hurts and annoys me.

I've been twice waitlisted at OHSU last year 133, this year 96 (which is exactly where they got last year).

this thread is funny! only cuz some of the ppl that started it ended up being accepted to their state school by now!! :laugh:

Me... no love whatsoever from my state school 2 yrs in a row, not even waitlisted and they only take IN STATE students!!!!!!!!!... NEVER make the mistake of thinking your state school is a sure thing!! ;) :rolleyes:

Middle tier waitlist at my state school (UConn). Who the hell knows - they told me to get back to them in early July - we'll see what they have to say. I'm sure it will be something very vague and pointless, but I'm still holding out some hope.

Overeducated said:
I've had 10 interview invites... yet I can't get a single invite from ANY california med school, public or private. It sucks!!! :mad: :(

How could you have gotten into USC if you didn't get an invite?

Wookey said:
How could you have gotten into USC if you didn't get an invite?

those posts are from Nov-Dec... that's what's funny about this thread is that ppl were b!tching about not getting in and lo and behold their signature shows "my state school" c/o 2010!!! :laugh:

I've got no love from my state school (Nevada) 2 years running

Yeah, well, I still got no love from my state school. No interview invite, sent a letter of reconsideration and didn't even get a reply. Not even a "I got your letter" reply, and I sent it via snail mail AND via email.

Not only did I not get any love, I got SERIOUSLY DISSED by my state school. :mad:

I got no love from my homestate PA schools. I'm waitlisted at Pitt and PSU.

ShyRem said:
Yeah, well, I still got no love from my state school. No interview invite, sent a letter of reconsideration and didn't even get a reply. Not even a "I got your letter" reply, and I sent it via snail mail AND via email.

Not only did I not get any love, I got SERIOUSLY DISSED by my state school. :mad:

We're still mourning for you Shy, but don't bring it up with gdbaby or it might reignite her flaming bag of $H!7 idea. :scared: