Why am i so dumb?

Dr.J.D

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I suck at school, I'm ******ed. I'm literally in the tenth grade and struggling with easy courses. Its the first month, and my grades are horrible. I have an 80 in AP bio. a 70 in honors chemistry.
70 in hon algebra 2. 100 in Ap World 100 in Spanish. and an 80 in English. its horrible, its takes forever to do homework, and then I have no time to study for tests. I feel like I'm behind on stuff and class is moving too fast, and even when I study for hours I only get 85-90. I only got an 1100 on the psat. At this ate ill go to community college or some mediocre school, and get bad grades again, not do good on the mcat, and become a failure I'm so frustrated . Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

I suck at school, I'm ******ed. I'm literally in the tenth grade and struggling with easy courses. Its the first month, and my grades are horrible. I have an 80 in AP bio. a 70 in honors chemistry.
70 in hon algebra 2. 100 in Ap World 100 in Spanish. and an 80 in English. its horrible, its takes forever to do homework, and then I have no time to study for tests. I feel like I'm behind on stuff and class is moving too fast, and even when I study for hours I only get 85-90. I only got an 1100 on the psat. At this ate ill go to community college or some mediocre school, and get bad grades again, not do good on the mcat, and become a failure I'm so frustrated . Please help!
This should be posted in hSDN.

College is different than high school. You need to focus on doing as well as you can. Being obsessed with going to some elite college and so on and so forth will destroy you, just do what you can as best as you can and work from there. I mean, look at me- I dropped out of high school, and I'm damn near a doctor already. High school doesn't mean a damn thing so long as you keep moving forward.

Reactions: 2 users

College is different than high school. You need to focus on doing as well as you can. Being obsessed with going to some elite college and so on and so forth will destroy you, just do what you can as best as you can and work from there. I mean, look at me- I dropped out of high school, and I'm damn near a doctor already. High school doesn't mean a damn thing so long as you keep moving forward.
I burn out after like 3 classes....
I'm not really obsessed with going to an elite college, but that depends on what you think elite is. Ivy league? Maybe if I was the one of the university presidents son, yeah I could get in. I'm looking at SUNY schools. maybe NYU? but too expensive. Syracuse, Penn state, just good schools tbh
I just want to get into a "comfortable", if I may, good 4 year school with a good pre med program , which a good amount of scholarship. At the very best, I am an average student, so I look to go to average reputable schools. It's clear that my gpa is B's in math and science and A's in humanities, at the very best .My course load is very hard, so maybe that's why I'm behind, and perhaps colleges will see that. Maybe if I could get a 1400ish sat, along with good ECs and essay, I could substitute for my bad grades? What do you think I should do going forward?

Members don't see this ad :)
If it makes you feel better, I was a B student in high school, went to an unknown college, but still got 100th percentile on the MCAT and have interviews from top 10s. All I can say now is keep a positive attitude and know that college is better than high school in almost every way. High school was demoralizing for me too, but I had way more freedom and incentive to actually let myself get invested in my classes in college.

Reactions: 1 users

If I were I would look at community college dual enrollment in lieu of AP - I did AP and wish I would have dual enrolled, you will get credits in half the time and generally they are a bit easier (especially in social sciences or English). I don't say that to insinuate you can't cut it in AP, but I believe it is not as good as just enrolling directly at a CC. Also, many a doctor went to a CC. I met the former head of admissions for Mayo's AZ campus and he went to a community college - this was back when the gap between CCs and 4-years was more pronounced than it is now.

Overall, take a deep breath. Enjoy high school. Maybe lighten your load so you can give your remaining classes 100%.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello young person! Don't get demoralized over not immediately meeting your goals. Many successful doctors are not the smartest people in the world, but instead they are hard workers who learned techniques for how to succeed in academics. I am impressed with your motivation and desire to be a high achiever. To make it to medical school, you will need to be able to deal with setbacks, and to adapt to new challenges. You should try to be resilient, and to be able to absorb a defeat here and there. Stick with it buddy!

If I were I would look at community college dual enrollment in lieu of AP - I did AP and wish I would have dual enrolled, you will get credits in half the time and generally they are a bit easier (especially in social sciences or English). I don't say that to insinuate you can't cut it in AP, but I believe it is not as good as just enrolling directly at a CC. Also, many a doctor went to a CC. I met the former head of admissions for Mayo's AZ campus and he went to a community college - this was back when the gap between CCs and 4-years was more pronounced than it is now.

Overall, take a deep breath. Enjoy high school. Maybe lighten your load so you can give your remaining classes 100%.

Good luck!
Thanks. I'll look into HS/CC.
My main concern is that I'm terrible at keeping my grades high, I'm good at standardized tests, EC,

Hello young person! Don't get demoralized over not immediately meeting your goals. Many successful doctors are not the smartest people in the world, but instead they are hard workers who learned techniques for how to succeed in academics. I am impressed with your motivation and desire to be a high achiever. To make it to medical school, you will need to be able to deal with setbacks, and to adapt to new challenges. You should try to be resilient, and to be able to absorb a defeat here and there. Stick with it buddy!
Thank you. That's the thing, I haven't really found how to achieve in school. I don't know how to study properly, and I procrastinate ( IM DOING IT RIGHT NOW).
If I could fix these problems I guess I could be okay.

Thank you. That's the thing, I haven't really found how to achieve in school. I don't know how to study properly, and I procrastinate ( IM DOING IT RIGHT NOW).
If I could fix these problems I guess I could be okay.
Buddy! There are tons of people who don't figure that out until they're done with college and have a 2.3 GPA! So you're ahead of the game in reaching a point of seeking a better way, and caring enough to do something about it.

Go to an academic advisor, and learn how to take better notes, how to re-write your notes, how to organize and condense your course material into an outline, how to use flashcards, how to be able to internalize tough material and then teach it to someone else, how to use commercial guides, and more. There are tons of actual techniques that you can use to study more efficiently, and if you get started in high school, you'll be crushing people later on in college.

Please just be a kid and do kid stuff for now. This thread is so depressing.

Reactions: 4 users
Please just be a kid and do kid stuff for now. This thread is so depressing.
THIS. Do hood rat stuff with your hood rat friends, enjoy high school, and then worry about college. As @Mad Jack said, high school doesn't matter as much as you think. My high school chemistry teacher told me "I was not college material." Guess who dominated their orgo classes and is preparing to crush their MCAT? This guy.

THIS. Do hood rat stuff with your hood rat friends, enjoy high school, and then worry about college. As @Mad Jack said, high school doesn't matter as much as you think. My high school chemistry teacher told me "I was not college material." Guess who dominated their orgo classes and is preparing to crush their MCAT? This guy.
Thanks for replying. I stated in the original post that it takes me forever to study and comprehend science especially and also math. If I study my hardest I get mediocre grades, you guys are saying to just have fun. f course I want to have fun but, I need to get into a good school. If I don't study at all I will literally get 50s in every class. I've never done flash cards maybe I could do those, on quizlet or whatever.

BTW:
Urban Dictionary Top Definition

Hood Rat
A girl who sleeps with various men in the neighborhood. Usually noticeable via her slacking standards of personal care.
Sissy Ray.. she a hood rat!
Yea I def don't want to be a hood rat :laugh:

Thanks for replying. I stated in the original post that it takes me forever to study and comprehend science especially and also math. If I study my hardest I get mediocre grades, you guys are saying to just have fun. f course I want to have fun but, I need to get into a good school. If I don't study at all I will literally get 50s in every class. I've never done flash cards maybe I could do those, on quizlet or whatever.

BTW:
Urban Dictionary Top Definition

Hood Rat
A girl who sleeps with various men in the neighborhood. Usually noticeable via her slacking standards of personal care.
Sissy Ray.. she a hood rat!
Yea I def don't want to be a hood rat :laugh:
Repetition, repetition, repetition. If you really need help, I suggest Free-lance teacher. He has free videos on Youtube, but make sure you visit his website first. If I'm not mistaken, he covers Physics, Chemistry, some Biochemistry, and Organic Chemistry. You only need the Chemistry portion, so concern yourself with those videos. He is boring, but you WILL understand all of the information "if" you stick with his videos. As for the rest of your classes, Khan Academy is always a good source. Also, it is never too early to check out Anki (look it up).

As for the hood rat ordeal... Why not? This kid said it was cool :rofl:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do dual enrollment instead of APs, your grades in those classes WILL count towards your GPA when you apply for med school...which means if you do poorly, it can wreck you. Don't do this unless you're sure you can perform well in college-level courses, and your AP grades don't seem to indicate that you're there yet.
Thanks, yea that was what I was thinking also.
Any studying tips? or other advice..?

I went to my local community college for 2 years before transferring to a 4-year university and have been accepted to medical school. Seriously, nobody cares where you went to school. Enjoy your time now and do the best you can in your classes. You'll be fine in the long run.

I'll have to get prescription, and my mom wont allow me. Isn't it for people who have ADHD?
That wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Abusing that drug can lead to serious consequences both to your health and your chances of getting to medical school (if caught in drug test).

OK.... then write a serious answer m8 :thumbup::laugh:

Same my 8th grade their teacher and 10th grade chemistry teacher said I'll be doing manual labor. And here I am as a chemistry major with a ~3.7 was a 3.9

Same my 8th grade their teacher and 10th grade chemistry teacher said I'll be doing manual labor. And here I am as a chemistry major with a ~3.7 was a 3.9
WOW. how'd u do that

WOW. how'd u do that
Lots of time studying.

I would also like to point, majority of the people may throw the phrase "work smarter, not harder" around. I'm sure you may hear it. Working smarter means that you're lazy. You want to cut corners. Working harder is the way to go.

Hi, I'm a sophomore in high school and I was in your same boat. In middle school, my main grades were B's and C's. I cleaned up my act in Freshmen Year and was able to to get straight A's throughout the whole semester. I decided to enter all honors sophomore year and this was the first time I ever entered any honors class. I got a C on my first English paper and a D on a History quiz (literally the two subjects I'm not really good at). I felt very disappointed, but soon realized that I still have time to strive again before the first marking period ends, and so do you. Get extra help if you know you need it. If you're like me and can't stay after school, ask your teacher if they're available before school or during another period to ask questions (don't be afraid to ask questions in class too). I don't know how you are with time management, but if you start to see that you're procrastinating, try to remove that habit immediately (that was one of my main problems). If you're not procrastinating, try doing your homework during periods you have extra time in. When you have a test to study for, take it bit by bit. Maybe like 10-15 minutes per day so this way you aren't worried about studying for it in like one or two days. My most important tip is don't bring your self down. Your brain believes what you tell it. If you tell yourself you can't do it and you won't do well on a test, your brain is going to be convinced of what you are saying and do exactly what it is told. Just remember that all that matters is that you bring yourself back up and even if you don't get what you were hoping for, you still have a chance to redeem yourself. Good luck :)

P.S: Remember your education ALWAYS comes first. If you're in sports or clubs you know are contributing to the grades, don't be afraid to pause those activities and try again another time.

I assume you got a GED, and then went to community college? Am I right?