Why are most interviewers caucasian?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kyneuromania

Neurosurgeon
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, I just want people to know that I am not a racist and I am not trying to argue with anyone.
It's just what I have observed and just a thought I guess...
From my (limited) experiences of interviewing at few schools this year, I have noticed that most of interviewers are caucasians.
I have seen very few Indian interviewers but absolutely no other Asian interviewers... such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietamese, Filipino, etc.
Are they just busy doing other stuff or maybe I haven't gone to enough interviews. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Hrmmm could it be that you live in America?

Really, take note of your surroundings before asking a question like this again. That cutesy tone isn't fooling anyone, take your flamewar into someone else's forum please.

Members don't see this ad :)
wait wait..

is the OP trying to imply that currently medicine is dominated by old white men?

Where have you been going. Most of them have been asian where I have gone.

WHOA what, are you trying to say most of america's intellectual and financial elite are caucasian? oh my god someone alert the presses

First of all, I had a black woman at my second interview. Second of all, medicine (and academia in general) is saturated with white people. This becomes obvious by taking the time to look around the world you live in and / or read anything on SDN relating to AA or URM's (Which could take years). Thrid of all, stop posting.

I have seen very few Indian interviewers but absolutely no other Asian interviewers... such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietamese, Filipino, etc.
Are they just busy doing other stuff or maybe I haven't gone to enough interviews. :rolleyes:

Also thank you for defining which groups constitute "Asians." You also left some out, think about how that makes them feel.

They're busy playing WoW, breakdancing, making chopsticks, doing kung fu, stuffing fortunes into fortune cookies, bouncing metal spoons in wooden boxes to name their kids, and studying.

Out of all the AA threads out there, I give this a -infinity/10.

They're busy playing WoW, breakdancing, making chopsticks, doing kung fu, stuffing fortunes into fortune cookies, bouncing metal spoons in wooden boxes to name their kids, and studying.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just like I said, i am well aware that america is consisted of mostly white people.
I guess my question was more like, have you guys interviewed with any asian interviewers? That's more like what I was getting at. But yea.. whatever you guys comments are, i wouldnt mind.

It was just a thought cuz i know schools emphasize diversity of class and it was odd that i didnt run into any asian interviewers.. (even from looking at the list of interviewers & just like i mentioned probably i haven't gone enough to know) That's it.

And about not including other asian countries.. i guess those were just countries that came to my mind. I don't see any reason to be sensitive about that.

Does it really matter what race your interviewer is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just like I said, i am well aware that america is consisted of mostly white people.
I guess my question was more like, have you guys interviewed with any asian interviewers? That's more like what I was getting at. But yea.. whatever you guys comments are, i wouldnt mind.

It was just a thought cuz i know schools emphasize diversity of class and it was odd that i didnt run into any asian interviewers.. (even from looking at the list of interviewers & just like i mentioned probably i haven't gone enough to know) That's it.

And about not including other asian countries.. i guess those were just countries that came to my mind. I don't see any reason to be sensitive about that.

You are confusing sensitivity for sarcasm. I think you would be better off looking at the diversity of the student body / surrounding community rather than the two people who interview you, who, by the way, you will quite possibly never come in contact with ever again in your entire life if you go to that school.

Stop the madness....

So far I have had one Indian, one white, and one black interviewer, pretty even so far...

maybe its because our eyes are too small for the job!

what are two ways to blind an asian woman??

1) put a windshield in front of her
2) dental floss

and for something worthwhile, 1/3 of my interviewers so far was asian.

I've interviewed at three schools so far (had four interviews) and I've only had one caucasian interviewer. The others have been Indian, African-American, and one I'm not sure of - he could have been Hispanic, but he wasn't caucasian.

I've had 12 interviewers thus far, 4 have been east/south asian.

I've interviewed at three schools so far (had four interviews) and I've only had one caucasian interviewer. The others have been Indian, African-American, and one I'm not sure of - he could have been Hispanic, but he wasn't caucasian.

lawl, thats cause in the carribeans, the adcoms are made of less caucasians % wise

you forgot pimping out their Civics, driniking sake, watching anime, and going to karaoke bars. Shame on you for being so racially insensitive.

My first interview had a Mexican interviewer, my second interview had a black woman interviewer (the dean), and my third interview was two white dudes.

of course medicine is racist. all allied health wear white coats. why not black coats? or brown coats? or yellow coats? or red coats?

hell, i'd wear a blue coat. i'd be like the beast from xmen.

First of all, I just want people to know that I am not a racist and I am not trying to argue with anyone.
It's just what I have observed and just a thought I guess...
From my (limited) experiences of interviewing at few schools this year, I have noticed that most of interviewers are caucasians.

Read "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. This book would explain the source of the butterfly effect that has led to your observation.

ROFLMAO :laugh:

I have had a very diverse group of interviewers, White, Black, Hispanic, and Asian (both South Asian, not East Asian)-but they're all the same regardless of race and all are pretty friendly.....

a certain medical school which shall remain nameless had it right. One of my interviewers was a psychologist with multiple personalities, hand to god. I was interviewed by at least 4 ethnicities within 10 minutes.

I think it depends on which school you interviewed at - for instance, at your smaller state schools in the south, you shouldn't be suprised if your interviewers are either white or black with the extremely rare chance of them being asian. And while race shouldn't matter - the AA posts on SDN makes it quite apparent that it does matter.

man your avatar is like theprowler's!

Racist.jpg

I nominate this for one of the dumbest questions of the I've ever heard award.

you forgot playing jokes by going pee pee in people's cokes

face it, medicine is dominated by scraggly old white men who don't like to see change. i'd say that the "diversity" you saw (non-white interviewers) were an attempt to try to show diversity.

A serious answer to this question....

Most of the students in medical school 25 years ago where white males.

That being said, I was interviewed by all colors, creeds and orientations along the interview trail. It may depend where you applied (i.e., if it was just in the midwest as opposed to NY, LA, the South).

Can we please let this thread DIE?!?!

It's just an inverse version of the AA threads.

Who cares, work hard enough and you will get into medical school. One day you can be a non-white interviewer and stick it to the man. In the mean-time, suck it up.