Why are there so many more DO schools with mandatory attendance and dress codes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The point is that you shouldn't have to.

ITT: Stockholm syndrome

Oh, I get it. I just also get that it really isn't that big of a deal. It's not that offensive to expect professional degree students to dress professionally.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, I get it. I just also get that it really isn't that big of a deal. It's not that offensive to expect professional degree students to dress professionally.
Certainly not offensive, just seems like it indicates that a school's priorities aren't necessarily in the right place IMO. Personally I'd want my students to feel free to dress however they want (within reason) when they are in preclinical years--which is basically glorified undergrad anyway--and allow them focus on learning. As long as you show up to patient-related situations dressed appropriately that's really all that should matter (not to mention most medical students dress more formally on the wards than many attendings).

Then again it clearly doesn't bother many of you so keep on keeping on.

Certainly not offensive, just seems like it indicates that a school's priorities aren't necessarily in the right place IMO. Personally I'd want my students to feel free to dress however they want (within reason) when they are in preclinical years--which is basically glorified undergrad anyway--and allow them focus on learning. As long as you show up to patient-related situations dressed appropriately that's really all that should matter (not to mention most medical students dress more formally on the wards than many attendings).

Then again it clearly doesn't bother many of you so keep on keeping on.

I get that. I've also seen younger people show up to events and situations that require a more formal dress code in completely inappropriate attire because they've never had to "dress up" before due to the lack of dress code in HS and undergrad. It's understandable to me that some med schools might want to nip that as early as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which schools have dress codes? I try to learn as much as I can about the schools i apply to from their website and have never encountered this at any of the 17 schools I applied to. I doubt this is something they advertise on there.

Is there a list of DO schools with mandatory attendance and dress codes somewhere I could check out?

Which schools have dress codes? I try to learn as much as I can about the schools i apply to from their website and have never encountered this at any of the 17 schools I applied to. I doubt this is something they advertise on there.

Is there a list of DO schools with mandatory attendance and dress codes somewhere I could check out?
Depends on your definition of dress code
Some is business casual at all times except OMM Lab (LECOM)
Others define their dress code as a specific color scrubs (NOVA)
Others are any kind of scrubs (ACOM)
Don't know of any DO schools without some kind of dress code like this.

Reactions: 1 user