Why are we giving ECFMG status to those countries that have not fully recognized the DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamdamiancray

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Because of the UN recognition in 2018, lots of doors have been opening up for DOs internationally. 88 countries have been approached and 85 of them have given us full recognition. France, Barbados, and slightly Norway has restricted us to OMM. The limit used to exist in some other African countries, which have been fixed by the AMCOA convention in 2019 after the UN recognition. Americans have given ECFMG recognition to France's Diplôme de Formation Approfondie en Sciences Médicales degree, the British degrees offered by Barbados, and Candidatus/a Medicinae (cand.med.) degree from Norway. Norwegians have said that DOs can practice as MDs but can only practice OMM if want to practice as DOs- I somewhat respect that; however, France and Barbados has shown us utmost disrespect by limiting us to OMM. DO is the degree that was born in American lands. If we are recognizing their degrees, on what audacity are they not recognizing ours when the difference between an osteopath and an osteopathic physician is cleared up by any international medical organization and AOA has shown the exact similarity between an MD and a DO curriculum. Never in my life would I ever bother to set my foot to private practice on any of those countries, but does it not hurt one's ego. Countries that refuse to give full recognition to any American medical degrees should be blacklisted from the ECFMG list. I am a SOMA member and am planning to raise this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
The things people choose to get worked up about....

Honestly, who cares?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
Because of the UN recognition in 2018, lots of doors have been opening up for DOs internationally. 88 countries have been approached and 85 of them have given us full recognition. France, Barbados, and slightly Norway has restricted us to OMM. The limit used to exist in some other African countries, which have been fixed by the AMCOA convention in 2019 after the UN recognition. Americans have given ECFMG recognition to France's Diplôme de Formation Approfondie en Sciences Médicales degree, the British degrees offered by Barbados, and Candidatus/a Medicinae (cand.med.) degree from Norway. Norwegians have said that DOs can practice as MDs but can only practice OMM if want to practice as DOs- I somewhat respect that; however, France and Barbados has shown us utmost disrespect by limiting us to OMM. DO is the degree that was born in American lands. If we are recognizing their degrees, on what audacity are they not recognizing ours when the difference between an osteopath and an osteopathic physician is cleared up by any international medical organization and AOA has shown the exact similarity between an MD and a DO curriculum. Never in my life would I ever bother to set my foot to private practice on any of those countries, but does it not hurt one's ego. Countries that refuse to give full recognition to any American medical degrees should be blacklisted from the ECFMG list. I am a SOMA member and am planning to raise this point.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ahem.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

But seriously, this is what's commonly referred to as a solution without a problem.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean if this was as big an issue as you think it is. It certainly does give you leverage, but only in countries who are profiting on the North Americans studying abroad.

This is unlikely to change France and Barbados minds anyways. It’s not like they want to lose their physicians to work in USA

As someone who has considered international practice, I agree with the point OP is making. Not sure there is a solution. I am glad we have so many more options than we used too.

Reactions: 2 users
Same. People here don’t understand the bias DO’s have internationally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hahaha here we go again. Let me remind you that it’s pretty hard for MD’s to just move to a new place and start practicing as well... just saying.

Reactions: 1 user

Then advocate for those privileges. But there's no reason to exclude physicians trained in those countries from being able to practice here when they had nothing to do with creating the policy with which you disagree.

It’s all AT stills fault. His cult was so strong DOs are chiropractors in other countries.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Is France even still a country ?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
No one cares what SOMA thinks

Reactions: 4 users
Being a SOMA member doesn’t mean jack. Nobody cares about this

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why in the world is this even an issue is beyond me. No one is going to pack their bags and move to another country and try to practice there(especially when most students have hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt), also it’s damn hard for USMD’s to do this as well, like you need to learn thier language or pass their boards, even if they recognize the DO degree, it will still be hard. Also besides like France all the western countries and many Asian countries recognize the DO degree as being the same as the MD degree, Norway let’s you practice as an MD ironically. If your worried about mission trips and such, DWB recognizes the DO on par with the MD and you can go ANYWHERE in the world with them. This is such a non issue because how many people are even trying to go to France or the Barbados to permanently live there, prbly 0. If you wanted to practice in France, you should have gone to medical school there plain and simple and I bet it’s an arduous process to even get your license there as an MD. We literally live in the best country arguably in the world for practicing medicine and as long as DO’s have the right to practice here in America that’s all that matters and this will be a non issue

• Love
I can honestly say that France's opinion of my education has never once previously crossed my mind, and within a few minutes, likely never will again.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
not gonna beg France to pay me 1/4 US doctor rate to go there and pay higher taxes too

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Great thread OP, couldn't agree more. Putting this out there will hopefully put some pressure on more countries to recognize the DO degree.

Barbados not accepting your medical degree?

Geez I’d hate to see how you’d react to things that really matter.

Like when KFC refuses to take your expired 2-for-1 chicken pot-pie coupon...

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
JOIN THE GREAT ILLUMINATI TODAY AND BECOME RICH AND FAMOUS. ARE YOU SEEKING FOR WISDOM AND KNOWLEDGE?
DO YOU WANT TO BE A FAMOUS ARTIST OR AN ACTOR,AND YOU WANT TO BE RICH, POWERFUL AND FAMOUS IN THE WORLD? JOIN THE ILLUMINATI AND LET YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE ,BECOME A MEMBER TODAY AND RECEIVE THE SUM OF $500,000 DOLLARS EVERY MONTH!!
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED SEND YOUR RESPONSE
WHATSAPP : (+1 805-457-5988)
MAIL : ([email protected])

Sent from my TECNO LA7 Pro using Tapatalk
I would probably join the Illuminati except they only limit DO’s to OMM. That’s just too much.

We literally live in the best country arguably in the world for practicing medicine

84432fe18d360b265fcc1d67e278067a.jpg

payment wise. Not for outcomes due to a broken system. But the solution isn’t to decrease physician salaries (only 7.6% healthcare cost) but to decrease healthcare administration (>50% of healthcare cost) who offer no improvement to outcomes.

/endsoapbox