Why atopic dermatitis improves with age?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mhco

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knows (or has a rough idea about) the physiology of why atopic dermatitis improves usually;
develops by early childhood and
resolves during teenage years

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

That's a good question, I'm not sure if anyone has definitive answer?

Items that could potentially contribute?

- burnout of inflammation

- improved skin barrier with maturity resulting in decreased antigen entry, decreased transepidermal water loss, etc.

- increased exposure to nonpathogenic microbes resulting in immune system modulation

Reactions: 1 user
The immune system is still in process of modulation and adaptation. Body is growing and not always " synchronized". Many immunologists even are willing to discuss the hygiene hypothesis now, which is progress.

The body and subcutaneous tissue is the best the younger you are, but at the same time, kids are more prone to skin micro and macro traumas that can induce more type I-III reactions.

Personally, I also think less outdoor exposure, A/C drying out air and general decrease of humidity plays in.

Despite the (somewhat) mundane presentation of this overall in most cases, the pathophysiology may be able to explain many other immunology phenomena, like all the AIDS research has, while not solving original problem.